PDA

View Full Version : Fish Bones

lastlid
30th August 2012, 11:02
I took my wife to a physiotherapist (good fun getting the wife to say that) today and one of the things that cropped up, although a bit off topic, was sources of calcium. I had been on at Mrs Lastlid to drink more milk as she seemed to drink very little, worrying that she might end up calcium deficient. However, what I learned was that all that fish and fish bones that she eats :icon_lol: does the job just aswell. I had never thought of it like that as I eat so little fish. Whereas the wife is mad for it.

Terpe
30th August 2012, 13:58
I took my wife to a physiotherapist (good fun getting the wife to say that) today and one of the things that cropped up, although a bit off topic, was sources of calcium. I had been on at Mrs Lastlid to drink more milk as she seemed to drink very little, worrying that she might end up calcium deficient. However, what I learned was that all that fish and fish bones that she eats :icon_lol: does the job just aswell. I had never thought of it like that as I eat so little fish. Whereas the wife is mad for it.

By coincidence we had fish for dinner last night.
My wife had sea bream and I had some lovely British Herring.
These were whole fish that were simply cleaned of gills and inside. I fried them whole and ate everything except the tail and the head. (left those for my wife :D)

Mostly the bones are so fine that you hardly know you eating them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

BRIAN WEBSTER
30th August 2012, 14:27

physiotherapist :laugher: i know what you saying lol

lastlid
30th August 2012, 15:36
physiotherapist :laugher: i know what you saying lol

:icon_lol:

lastlid
30th August 2012, 15:41
By coincidence we had fish for dinner last night.
My wife had sea bream and I had some lovely British Herring.
These were whole fish that were simply cleaned of gills and inside. I fried them whole and ate everything except the tail and the head. (left those for my wife :D)

Mostly the bones are so fine that you hardly know you eating them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We have have come to a working arrangement now where my wife eats fish and rice virtually everyday, when I am at work and sometimes in the evenings too, but she ends up cooking a different meal for each of us in the evenings, at lot of the time. It seems to work. She certainly gets her fair share of calcium this way. And I don't have to eat fish. Actually I do eat a little fish.

Terpe
30th August 2012, 20:19

We have have come to a working arrangement now where my wife eats fish and rice virtually everyday, when I am at work and sometimes in the evenings too, but she ends up cooking a different meal for each of us in the evenings, at lot of the time. It seems to work. She certainly gets her fair share of calcium this way. And I don't have to eat fish. Actually I do eat a little fish.

It's true that on occasion we also have different evening meals. Perhaps once per week on average.
Luckily we both enjoy the same foods. But in line with what you've indicated, sometimes my wife wants to eat rice with something I'm not fond of. Now I could easily go along with her suggestion and eat the same, but actually I don't want to.
Like last night we agreed on fish, but mine was pan-fried, whereas my wife 'cooked' hers in vinegar with ginger garlic and onion etc.

We both accept that there's no reasons why we both eat the same evening menu if we don't want. After all, whenever we go out for dinner it's not always the case that we choose the same.

We've always managed in the same way and it works for us.

Doesn't your wife get a little fed-up with the very same foods everyday?
If not, then everythings fine.

lastlid
30th August 2012, 20:41
We've always managed in the same way and it works for us.
Doesn't your wife get a little fed-up with the very same foods everyday?
If not, then everythings fine.

:icon_lol: Food has been the sole source of disagreement between us. No pun intended on the sole. It has taken us a long time but there is a lot more harmony now this way. She seems to be happy on a diet of predominantly rice, fish and chicken. I don't like the fact that she tends to want to fry everything. So this gets around that problem too. On the positive side, she is developing her cooking skills which were minimal to start off with which is helping a lot too.

On the fish and bones topic. She seems to like spratts so we buy a heap of them and she cooks them and eats them whole, with rice.

Snap on the ginger and garlic. Thats how she cooked her fish today.

I almost have to virtually force feed her with fruit and vegetables. :icon_lol:

On a positive note too, she likes Chinese, Indian and Italian food, we have discovered.

andy222
30th August 2012, 20:50

Yep I suppose it is a bit of a mouthful. :icon_lol:.Just before Graham chips in I mean Physiotherapist.:doh

stevewool
30th August 2012, 21:19
a fish finger sandwich, yum yum yum and no bones:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
30th August 2012, 21:25
a fish finger sandwich, yum yum yum and no bones:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

If only, Steve. She wont touch that stuff. Or one of those Macdonald McFillet o Fish things. It has to be the real deal. :icon_lol:

lordna
31st August 2012, 11:50
The only thing i have against eating any fish is the price.

Since my wife arrived here we ALL eat Filipino food and i prefer it to a lot of English foods.

lastlid
31st August 2012, 11:53
The only thing i have against eating any fish is the price.

Since my wife arrived here we ALL eat Filipino food and i prefer it to a lot of English foods.

The Physio quoted tinned sardines back at us as a cheap source. Great for the wife but I am not so keen on them. :icon_lol:

I think my mrs is half filipina and half cat, at times.

Arthur Little
31st August 2012, 13:35

... she ends up cooking a different meal for each of us in the evenings

:D "MAGIC!" :wizardkl: ... SNAP! And we have a SIMILAR arrangement ... which ALSO works wonders in OUR household. :anerikke: ... "no bones about it"!

lastlid
31st August 2012, 14:03
:D "MAGIC!" :wizardkl: ... SNAP! And we have a SIMILAR arrangement ... which ALSO works wonders in OUR household. :anerikke: ... "no bones about it"!

:icon_lol: Yes. Bliss. :xxgrinning--00xx3: