PDA

View Full Version : Electoral Voting on a Spouse Visa

lastlid
25th August 2012, 14:18
Can anyone here on a Spouse Visa vote in either general or local elections? Anybody tried to get their wives on the electoral register?

Terpe
25th August 2012, 14:30
lastlid, as far as I understand it only British citizens can vote or get registered to vote.

lastlid
25th August 2012, 14:46
lastlid, as far as I understand it only British citizens can vote or get registered to vote.

I have an IOM Electoral Register form just now but can't see such a bar. But then it may be different here. I can see that my wife would be ineligible for jury service as they make it plain on the form.

I was thinking it might be useful as another bit of evidence towards ILR.

Terpe
25th August 2012, 14:59
If that's the case I'd go for it.
Every little helps :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
25th August 2012, 15:06
If that's the case I'd go for it.
Every little helps :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes indeed. I will give them a call on Tuesday, see what they say.

Terpe
25th August 2012, 15:09
Yes indeed. I will give them a call on Tuesday, see what they say.

There seems to be a lot about the IOM that we 'mainlanders' have no idea about :D

Is it possible to become a citizen of the IOM without being a UK citizen?

lastlid
25th August 2012, 15:19
There seems to be a lot about the IOM that we 'mainlanders' have no idea about :D

Is it possible to become a citizen of the IOM without being a UK citizen?

You and me both. It continually catches me out. I enquired as to whether any child of ours would be Manx or British and was told by the IOM immigration people that there's no such thing as Manx, any child would be British.

Basically, I am from the UK and just over a year ago I moved here. I am resident here, pay tax here but have to work on a permit for 5 years before I can work here without a permit.

Anybody from the UK can come and live here at any time, but employment here requires a permit. For those outside the UK and IOM I imagine UK immigration rules follow i.e. to enter as a Filipina a visa to the UK of some kind is required. I am not clear, however, on EU folk but my boss implied that EU rules apply here too but am not clear if they would require a work permit or not, presumably yes. The emphasis here is on job protection for the islanders.

lastlid
25th August 2012, 17:15
You and me both. It continually catches me out. I enquired as to wether any child of ours would be Manx or british and was told by the IOM immigration people that there's no such thing as Manx, any child would be British.

Basically, I am from the UK and just over a year ago I moved here. I am resident here, pay tax here but have to work on a permit for 5 years before I can work here without a permit.

Anybody from the UK can come and live here at any time, but employment here requires a permit. For those outside the UK and IOM I imagine UK immigration rules follow i.e. to enter as a Filipina a visa to the UK of some kind is required. I am not clear, however on EU folk but my boss implied that EU rules apply here too but am not clear if they would require a work permit or not, presumably yes. The emphasis here is on job protection for the islanders.

For Mrs Lastlid to work here she requires an appropriate visa, which she has of course, but also a work permit. As far as ILR goes she now waits to complete her 2 years like in the UK. As far as citizenship is concerned, I am not sure, something else to look into but I beleive it is the same as in the UK but not sure if she has to sing God Save the Queen or the Manx anthem :D

As far as I can tell, people from the island are British citizens but not UK citizens. Sorry if I haven't answered your question Terpe. :D

lastlid
25th August 2012, 17:43
Okay. Just seen this for the UK:

Who can register to vote
Make sure you register to vote
You aren't automatically registered to vote, even if you pay Council Tax

You can register to vote if:
you are aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18)
you are a British citizen
you are a qualifying Commonwealth citizen. A qualifying Commonwealth citizen is an individual who has leave to enter or remain in the UK, or does not require such leave
you are a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member states

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Politicalpartiesandelections/DG_073239

From the BBC:

"To be registered to vote in the general election you must be 16-years-old or over by election day, resident at the address stated on the registration form, and resident in the Isle of Man for at least one year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-12251606

stevewool
25th August 2012, 17:49
who would want to vote, yes many want too, but i have not voted for many years, yes my choice and thats why i stay clear of politics, well went i can, anyway like i say thats my choice , dont mean to offend anyone

lastlid
25th August 2012, 17:53
who would want to vote, yes many want too, but i have not voted for many years, yes my choice and thats why i stay clear of politics, well went i can, anyway like i say thats my choice , dont mean to offend anyone

I don't necessarily have intentions to vote. :D Just want to get me and Mrs Lastlid on it for evidence for ILR purposes.

stevewool
25th August 2012, 18:01
we need all the evidence to prove that our partners have been here with us for these 2 years, we forget once the flr is done what we have to go through again for the ilr, good luck we all need some

lastlid
30th August 2012, 11:05
I found out today that although my wife is on a Spouse visa, she can go on the electoral register after she has been on the Isle of Man a year. So we can do that and get her on the register and then use it as further evidence towards ILR.

Terpe
30th August 2012, 11:08
Well well. That's interesting and good info :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I didn't realise that.

My guess is that only applies for IOM elections though.

lastlid
30th August 2012, 11:17
Well well. That's interesting and good info :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I didn't realise that.

My guess is that only applies for IOM elections though.

Yes. :D