PDA

View Full Version : really dizzy

dizzy
22nd August 2012, 16:47
still reading about uk employment laws:readingpapers:...i'm really living up to my name now...dizzy dizzy dizzy...:vomit-smiley-0

Michael Parnham
22nd August 2012, 19:19
My wife is having problems getting a job because after being succesful finding a job, they will start her when she has written proof from Home Office that she is allowed to work. NI number and 'visa' is not enough as her 'visa' is not displaying anything that says she can work in UK. Has anyone got a phone No we can call and actually speak to someone. On the Home Office website there is nothing in writing that can be printed off!

Terpe
22nd August 2012, 19:52
My wife is having problems getting a job because after being succesful finding a job, they will start her when she has written proof from Home Office that she is allowed to work. NI number and 'visa' is not enough as her 'visa' is not displaying anything that says she can work in UK. Has anyone got a phone No we can call and actually speak to someone. On the Home Office website there is nothing in writing that can be printed off!

Hi Michael,

So sorry to hear about the problems your wife is having.
Some employers are becoming oversensitive about this issue.

Here is a UKBA webpage about information on the visa and about Checking your visa (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/general-info/visa-holders/)
I don't know just how helpful it might be. It may help.

Basically if working is not allowed it will state that.
If working is allowed nothing is stated. Can be confusing I guess.

The only number I can find that concerns advice to employers about preventing illegal working, and particularly about carrying out the document checks necessary to establish a statutory excuse against liability to pay a civil penalty is:-
Phone: 0300 123 4699
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 09:00 - 17:00 and Friday 09:00 to 16:30 (excluding public holidays)

The webpage is here and called Enquiries about illegal working (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/contact/contactspage/employers/)

That's the best info I can offer just at the moment.

Terpe
22nd August 2012, 19:55
still reading about uk employment laws:readingpapers:...i'm really living up to my name now...dizzy dizzy dizzy...:vomit-smiley-0

Hi dizzy, may I very kindly ask why you are so concerned to read about UK employment law?
Just curious about the motivation to spend time doing that.:Erm:

BTW, sorry to 'hi-jack' your thread with a response to Michael, hope you can understand.
Don't get even more dizzy about that :D

sars_notd_virus
22nd August 2012, 21:35
did you get the job dizzy??:Erm:

Michael Parnham
23rd August 2012, 05:59
Thanks Terpe, will follow up your advice your a great help to us all.

dizzy
23rd August 2012, 10:50
no worries about hijacking :)...well my job requires me to know uk employment laws since i'm applying for an hr position. and encountered questions during the interview about it. although it's just basic questions i would really like to know about it in the first place...
well, i really have to get myself motivated since it's part of my job and also interested to know about it. instead of staring at the tv or feeling self-pity in facebook, might as well do something constructive...anyway, just an hour in the morning and afternoon...

@michael...my residence card has a statement that says 'employment and business activities allowed' and the hotel would give me a letter to forward to a job center to process my NI...

Michael Parnham
24th August 2012, 05:55
Thanks Dizzy, dont have residence card yet, 'Spouse visa' Terpe seems to have solved our problem!