PDA

View Full Version : Copacabana hotel in Manila - anyone any experience?

Iani
21st August 2012, 07:35
Hi

We have to spend 3 nights in Manila soon, and wifey to be is insistent that staying at the Copacabana is a good idea. She says it's near the airport, near Mall of Asia etc, and it's not a too long taxi ride to the embassy which we have to visit early the following day.

Well, looking on tripadvisor (I know it's full of fake reviews, but take it as an average and it's still good), it's a different story.

Very hard beds, like a prison, tired, very noisy from outside - roads and some sort of nightclub etc.

Missus to be though insists she has stayed there loads of times when she had to go to Manila, and it's good, it isn't noisy.

For the price (It's not THAT expensive, but all the same for £40 a night I'm sure I can find something better, and neither of us are into swanky hotels), well I don't know.

The clincher seems to be the journey to the embassy the following day, but taxis aren't that expensive - are they?

Just wondered if anyone has any experience, because tripadvisor is frankly shocking about this place, and the thought of three days there.

Course, I could just go ahead and book elsewhere, but seriously, if I did that, and the other place turned out to be a dump, then I just know I'd never hear the last of it. Years down the line....................well!

deeen
21st August 2012, 07:43
Taxis are cheap, the problem is the traffic they get stuck in!

We stayed in Heritage Hotel, better than I was expecting from the reviews, including breakfast and shuttle to MOA.

Never stayed in Copacabana, sorry.

malditako
21st August 2012, 10:37
never heard about copacabana

grahamw48
21st August 2012, 10:47
Can't help....I just stay at the cheapest place with the fewest cockroaches. :D

I ignore all those stupid review sites.

Last time...SOGO motel. Notorious 'short-time' place that would frighten most people off. (about 300 rooms).

You can rent rooms by the hour ;) or any longer period.

Contrary to what you would expect, it is peaceful, clean and friendly, with excellent service.
Has w-fi and free internet. Food is bad, but local restaurant next door, or food delivered by McDs, Jolibee etc.

Average cost was about 1100 pesos a night.

FB Harrison...close to Mall of Asia and the airport.

Terpe
21st August 2012, 11:13
Iani,

I haven't stayed there and can't think of anyone I know who has.

Nevertheless, whereas sites like tripadvisor can often give an overview, you probably need to take into account that there'll be a wide range of reasons for people to post their views.

Seems it's an apartment hotel, so maybe that offers some benefits to you.
Maybe worth also considering other reviews etc.

Like many hotels some like it some don't, some had great experience some didn't.
Even top quality 'branded' hotels have problems.

The important thing is how they resolve and problems you encounter.

On the whole looks OK for me.

Here's some additional info:-

Copacabana Apartment Hotel - Booking.com (http://www.booking.com/hotel/ph/copacabana-apartment.en.html?aid=318615;label=English_Whole_Site_Reset__inurl:.en.html)

Copacabana Apartment Hotel - Agoda (http://www.agoda.com/asia/philippines/manila/copacabana_apartment_hotel.html)

Copacabana Apartment Hotel - Asiatravel.com (http://www.asiatravel.com/en-us/hotels/philippines/manila/copacabana_apartment_hotel/index.html)

Copacabana Apartment Hotel - AsiaRooms.com (http://www.asiarooms.com/en/philippines/manila/175255-copacabana_apartment_hotel.html)

grahamw48
21st August 2012, 12:01
Does look nice. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rhose
21st August 2012, 12:02
Never heard of copacobana. When I search on it, it looks nice!! Just trust your wife taste, and besides she knew the place. :)

CBM
21st August 2012, 12:22
Look at it this way - if its nice - you both win. if its nasty, you will have a large stock of brownie points espescially if you don't point out that it is less than perfect! .

If you choose another hotel and its nice, it will be "too expensive" or "in the wrong place" and if its nasty, you will be in deep, deep trouble...

So go with your wife's recommendation!;)

Iani
21st August 2012, 23:24
Thanks everyone, I think you all have a point

Especially the bit about if I choose somewhere and it's bad...............well..........I just know this will be brought up for years later :icon_lol:

Koala
22nd August 2012, 00:30
I have stayed there about 10 years ago and found it quite nice........I had to stay in Manila for a few weeks and liked the idea of an apartment with a pool.

I would trust your partner as that's best way to keep your relationship a good one.

When I'm in Manila for only a few days we always stay at the La Corona Best Western Hotel in Ermita......That's quite a good hotel also.

If you do stay at the Copacabana Hotel please let us know your experience there.

Koala

lastlid
22nd August 2012, 07:22
During my first trip to the Philippines I stayed at the H2O Hotel in Manila and was about £40 a night. A very nice hotel indeed for that money. New, modern and clean. No noise. Nice restaurant. Part of the Manila Ocen Park complex. In our case we hired a minibus and driver for me and the wife (and family as required) all week so we didnt have an issue with taxis. But you could easily get a taxi from there to the embassy in Taguig and VFS in Makati. We paid VFS a visit too.

http://www.agoda.co.uk/asia/philippines/manila/hotel_h2o.html?asq=FbBO%2bPH1CqkzMM7FfKQnOYM%2bgYExCABeQ0TSQK7f16TYvWZjwAmCnL%2f13GryJcEaev1IhgSgbgV2aEA9Opylj6FhPPNu7%2fHk%2fl4c1UHkxyeM%2fp1POgNJHNYmKKWwfXVC

http://www.hotelh2o.com/

http://www.manilaoceanpark.com/

Also handy for the airport and the Mall of Asia.

Iani
22nd August 2012, 07:46
Course Koala, I shall post a review :)

I guess it's just a case of me getting used to the fact that now I'm in a relationship, that I need to understand there is one boss in the relationship - and it aint me :icon_lol:

La Corona Best Western is where I fancied, looks great, but - well, I think I'll go with her idea, anything for peace huh.

I'll run that H20 place with her though, looks good. Oh it's all fun

deeen
22nd August 2012, 08:43
We found H20 to be clean, modern and quirky, a bit "boutique", good views, if you can still get it for £40 might be worth it, however no way is it worth the £70 i have seen it advertised for recently! Standard rooms are small and the loo is a glass walled box in the room! Good contraceptive, if you see what I mean... also some of the publicity is a bit misleading (e.g. there is no pool, they give you a free ticket for the public one) and we had queues for taxis at times. Also a long way from Taguig!

Harrison was great for the price, proper 5* ambience, rooms a bit tired, although tired 5* still feels more grand than modern 3* maybe?

However I can see the benefits of agreeing with "the boss", without checking a map I think Copacobana is closer to Taguig than the Ermita places mentioned, and maybe it's nice to be able to cook a snack in your room!

Terpe
22nd August 2012, 09:31
Another very useful thread here :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks to all who shared their ideas and experiences.

lastlid
22nd August 2012, 10:16
We found H20 to be clean, modern and quirky, a bit "boutique", good views, if you can still get it for £40 might be worth it, however no way is it worth the £70 i have seen it advertised for recently! Standard rooms are small and the loo is a glass walled box in the room! Good contraceptive, if you see what I mean... also some of the publicity is a bit misleading (e.g. there is no pool, they give you a free ticket for the public one) and we had queues for taxis at times. Also a long way from Taguig!

Harrison was great for the price, proper 5* ambience, rooms a bit tired, although tired 5* still feels more grand than modern 3* maybe?

However I can see the benefits of agreeing with "the boss", without checking a map I think Copacobana is closer to Taguig than the Ermita places mentioned, and maybe it's nice to be able to cook a snack in your room!

I prefer to use the word themed, but yes, quirky but in an attractive way. I know what you mean about the comfort room but overall I liked the modern feel to everything. And it won't be the first hotel I have been in with glass to the bathroom and shower areas, albeit to one side only.

Just checked prices. £43.00 per night in September. Which is more or less what I paid. The more expensive rates are for those with an aquarium in the room etc etc. :xxgrinning--00xx3: and according to the view. There are several tiers of room available.

deeen
22nd August 2012, 20:09
Yes quirky and modern look, that was supposed to be a good thing, I see quirky as attractive, too much hearing-aid beige in many hotels! I was trying to convey that I can see the attraction, but I won't be going again.