PDA

View Full Version : Sending money to Fili

Shifty-Sidney
29th July 2007, 06:26
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a better (less expensive) way to send money to Fili apart from Western Union. The service is excellent but at over 10% commission it is starting to make me think there must be a better way. ant suggestions, banks are not common in Surigao.

Mrs Daddy
29th July 2007, 07:49
I also use western union mark but before that I used post offices but still a bit expensive.Its a bit hard for us to find a cheaper money to send to PI really...:NoNo::furious3:If you have account in a building society they still charge you £20 before that hubby send money to PI using his bank and charge him for about £40:Brick::Brick::Brick::NoNo::cwm23::yikes:

aromulus
29th July 2007, 08:32
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a better (less expensive) way to send money to Fili apart from Western Union. The service is excellent but at over 10% commission it is starting to make me think there must be a better way. ant suggestions, banks are not common in Surigao.

Soon you will receive lots of suggestions on the subject by other forum members, but personally I use

www.xoom.com (http://www.xoom.com)

I don't remember how they work the charges out, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the banks or Western Union. Recently I sent $750, and the charge was $30, so it seems like less than 5%.

You can choose cash payment directly into your wife's hands, anywhere in R.P., or bank account deposit.
The funds are taken out of your Debit/Credit card, or you can use a paypal account.

Alternatively, I am considering opening another current account and send my wife the debit card by snail mail, and PIN number by phone. But I don't know wether I will have enough time for that, as we are currently waiting for her Visa.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
As I do all my banking online, It would be much easier, in a sense, for me, to keep an eye on things and top the account up, whenever it needs topping up. But I am not sure to what the bank would charge on withdrawals abroad. But certainly less than WU.

Whichever way you choose, it will cost money :NoNo:.

All the best.

andypaul
29th July 2007, 09:24
Im sure you have searched because there have been loads of threads on this subject as its an importnat one.

Have used xoom which is pretty good but takes time and your money unless im doing it wrong gets changed to dollars and then pesos so exchange rates can affect you if that combination of exchanges is not favourably at the mo.

We also use phill remitance where we pay the money into there account and then let them know where we want it paid to and its send normally a better rate. Looking at PNB where you can open an account and simply do a transfer people say its an even better rate. There are a few well established companies in the UK who have more convient and cheaper services for particular banks both here in the UK.

With regards western union which is one of the best in an emgency ie they have agents all over the place in the UK and Phill and the money can be there in mintues. The missus got sent a card which gives her a discount of about 50 percent i think on the fee (will have to check that). Also if you can wait two days you can get a half price rate with western union as well which with the card makes it not to expensive.

Also a quick note be careful if using a credit card with any of these companies as it may be treated as a cash withdrawal which can cost you more in intrest and possibly a fee i guess.

There are quite a few remittance companies which are long time established in the UK, but do be careful as in london there was recently a collaspe of a company which speclizised in remittance to bangladesh and the report highlighted that there are few regulations apart from money laundering laws to look after the consumer. But now a few mps have realised its an important thing to a growing number of people around the country so hopefully something will be done.

pennybarry
29th July 2007, 11:59
Try IREMIT. They have free visa card to be send to your beneficiary until 30th of July. They chage 6£ for money to be sent. Before I was using post office which cost 12-18£ to send but I prefer this one. Try to visit their site http://www.myiremit.com/ . You can apply online. I am fulltime at work so I'm also using online banking. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Goodluck

darren-b
29th July 2007, 14:05
In the past we've used Westion Union, Xoom, and Phil Remit, but have mainly been using PNB for the last year or so.

Costs £5 to send up to £1000 from a UK debit card to a Philippines bank account (including non-PNB accounts) with a good exchange rate. Also they will process it the same day if they receive it before 3pm Uk time.

gingxrick
29th July 2007, 14:49
I have a card from Western Union whitch I get £5 discount when sending it in minutes. and I get points. wow maayo kaayo

KeithD
29th July 2007, 16:19
If you send it to me, I'll make sure it does not get there.....same as Phil Post :D

walesrob
29th July 2007, 16:35
Another suggestion that people seemed to have missed is a pre-paid debit card.

Basically, its a Chip and PIN Maestro debit card, where you can withdraw funds and can be re-loaded instantly via the internet, post office or paypoint. Theres no overdraft or direct debits, so its ideal for holidays or you can send the card to your loved one in the Philippines and just reload the card as required.

I've used one for a 6 months, and its handy on holiday, no need to carry all that cash, and if the card is lost or stolen, you'll get a replacement.

LastMinute Travelcash is the one I use, or heres a list:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/cardsresults.asp?Feature=Prepaid

petti
29th July 2007, 17:53
why keep troubling with theese money transfer services?

i had an extra bank account in here, that i orderd an extra visa card into.
I gave her that visa card, so she can use in the philippines.
it takes only a minute for me to transfer money to that account, and she can go
directly to a ATM and redraw her money right away. Its cheap, without extra hussle and bussle.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
29th July 2007, 18:06
use RCBC peso express phone this number 02080903030 very cheap just £5 charge

copyhardwick
29th July 2007, 18:17

hi i have used xoom in the past my wife is here now but they definitely work cheapest and you can use paypal too

aromulus
29th July 2007, 18:49
( banks are not common in Surigao.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Xoom will deliver the cash directly into her hands, at her home, by courier.
All is required is some kind of ID.
Ok, I admit, it is not the fastest method, but the most convenient if there aren't many ATMs about, or WU offices. And 3/4 days wait, ain't that long.

Liliput39
29th July 2007, 19:55
I have been using PhilRem, and I've only been paying £ 7.00 so far for the service (bank to bank) usually 5-7 days, not sure though if it still the same charge now.

Inasmuch as I love my dear country, I don't feel I can trust them when it comes to posting letter/packages to them :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:. It will only arrived delayed big time:doh, but with the box opened and all over the place!!:bigcry::bigcry: Parcel Force, in my experience, is no good at all, as trying to chase them is like:Brick::Brick: Sorry for anyone who works for them.

jeffro
29th July 2007, 20:27
I always use western union,.i mostly pay the fee of around 12.00 so that my anghel can get within minutes .I dont have a credit card,just a basic bank card and acount,so im just grateful i can send money to her ,because i know she struggles like many many others .

andypaul
29th July 2007, 20:41
I have been using PhilRem, and I've only been paying £ 7.00 so far for the service (bank to bank) usually 5-7 days, not sure though if it still the same charge now.

Inasmuch as I love my dear country, I don't feel I can trust them when it comes to posting letter/packages to them :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:. It will only arrived delayed big time:doh, but with the box opened and all over the place!!:bigcry::bigcry: Parcel Force, in my experience, is no good at all, as trying to chase them is like:Brick::Brick: Sorry for anyone who works for them.

Still 7 pounds and bank account to bank account can take just 1-2 days we find i think it depends on the banks used here and in phill.

With a lot of the remittance companies it depends on the banks or pick up points they use and their relationship with them in determining fees and transfer time.

andypaul
29th July 2007, 20:43
As I mentioned in my previous post, Xoom will deliver the cash directly into her hands, at her home, by courier.
All is required is some kind of ID.
Ok, I admit, it is not the fastest method, but the most convenient if there aren't many ATMs about, or WU offices. And 3/4 days wait, ain't that long.

xoom also use cenuna lehillier (or however spelt) which i belive has branchs in loads of places which may help some also.

jimeve
29th July 2007, 23:53
We always use belwood throu barclays bank to bank £7

tomoboyle2000
12th September 2007, 22:26
I use PNB remitance It only cost £5 and it gives a good exchange rate.

charlwill
12th September 2007, 22:39
try this.....
http://www.belwoodukshipping.co.uk/menu.php?page=transfers_info&section=how

aug06_2006
13th September 2007, 14:02
My husband also he used xoom thats the one cheapest way.

jonnijon
15th September 2007, 10:05
The best way to send money is with a Global Philipino Money Card.Get your wife or girlfriend to get one from Philippines National bank in the Philippines Then you can register online at PNB London,then send a copy of passport and a utility bill (need to be certified by lawyer,doctor,accountant)by post to PNB London.24 hours later you can send money.Cost £5 to send up to £1000

MarcusD
23rd September 2007, 21:55
Try CPN Group at http://cbngrupo.net . If your bank in the Philippines is Banco De Oro you can transfer the money in 5 minutes directly from the UK to any BDO branch for £5 and a good exchange rate. I use it all the time, they have Filipino staff also so are very well versed in this. They can also setup direct debit from your local bank to CPN and pay it on a regular basis without you evening moving a muscle. To me this is the fastest, cheapest and most secure Hope this helps.

Matty
24th September 2007, 11:42
we pay cash into any natwest bank using a metrobank account number and sort code and it clears straight away and doesnt cost a thing.

i can also transfer money via firstdirect over the phone, this takes 2 days , but because you are transferring to a uk sort code it doesnt cost anything.

metro bank is in london i think ?

Matty
24th September 2007, 11:45
http://www.metrobank.com.ph/remit_network_dir.asp?strSearch=MB

try this ...

ca143
24th September 2007, 11:47
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a better (less expensive) way to send money to Fili apart from Western Union. The service is excellent but at over 10% commission it is starting to make me think there must be a better way. ant suggestions, banks are not common in Surigao.hi Mark,try thise one www.xoom.com the service is excellent and cheapest as well.

IanB
25th September 2007, 17:14
Hey guys! Why use NatWest or other bank accounts that charge? If you get a Nationwide Flex Account (I think thats its name), you can withdraw cash from an ATM in the Philippines without any bank charges and the exchange rate is not too bad. I think this is the only account that does this. All you have to do is open account in UK and send the card out to the Philippines. Obviously the PIN number will be sent separately!

Ian

charlwill
25th September 2007, 18:24
Hey guys! Why use NatWest or other bank accounts that charge? If you get a Nationwide Flex Account (I think thats its name), you can withdraw cash from an ATM in the Philippines without any bank charges and the exchange rate is not too bad. I think this is the only account that does this. All you have to do is open account in UK and send the card out to the Philippines. Obviously the PIN number will be sent separately!

Ian

I agree with you Ian. I am using Nationwide Flex Account for 6 yrs. They don't have charges at all and their exchange rate is very, very good. Best recommendation to use Nationwide in the Philippines. :D:D

Alan
5th November 2007, 03:14
I also use my Nationwide Flex Account card here and have never paid any charges.

The other day, money exchanges in the malls were giving between 87 and 88.5 pesos to the pound. I used my NFA card and got 88.8.

BTW - can anyone tell me the best bank to go to for Hanna and I opening a joint account over here in Phils?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Happy Guy Fawkes day everyone. :)

Al.:)

bigtombowski
5th November 2007, 03:20
i know nothing other than mar uses PNB :)

Alan
5th November 2007, 03:27
Just missed you on Messenger Tom.:furious3:

LEAHnew
5th November 2007, 03:36
I also use my Nationwide Flex Account card here and have never paid any charges.

The other day, money exchanges in the malls were giving between 87 and 88.5 pesos to the pound. I used my NFA card and got 88.8.

BTW - can anyone tell me the best bank to go to for Hanna and I opening a joint account over here in Phils?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Happy Guy Fawkes day everyone. :)

Hi Sir Alan try METROBANK "You're in good hand":)

BTW Happy Guy Fawkes here in phil:rolleyes: my beb told me he's celebrating too...by burning rubbish:D:yikes:

cinmickey28
5th November 2007, 03:55
We use PNB GFMC Card. The exhange rate is good and will arrived from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

joyce
5th November 2007, 09:11
I used nationwide debit card of my husband. As long as the bank accepts visa card it is ok... there is no service charge and the exchange rate is high compared to the money changer.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
5th November 2007, 10:47
87 php to the £ :doh
well pnb europe, justed check now are giving 91.2 php to £ :Hellooo:

hope it stops falling :cwm24:, oh how i wish for the 104+ days :D

kimmi
5th November 2007, 11:28
Clive gave me one of his Natwest bank card which I used in getting my allowance..so far it is ok it saves him some extra £.

we also use Western Union before but it is totally a rip off..

bigtombowski
5th November 2007, 11:49
Just missed you on Messenger Tom.:furious3:

ohh sorry mate!
i think i was just home from work (i'm working nights na) ... and i was calling mar :)

t

bigtombowski
5th November 2007, 11:51
Clive gave me one of his Natwest bank card which I used in getting my allowance..so far it is ok it saves him some extra £.

we also use Western Union before but it is totally a rip off..

is there a charge on that account? coz i was told that in halifax, for every transaction there is a £1.50 charge!! eek:yikes::omg::yikes:

Alan
5th November 2007, 11:52

Thanks for that Joe.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
5th November 2007, 12:28
Alan.. We have used PNB Europe for years..
Always a good rate.
We can get our money from our UK accs to the R.P via them (online) in a day or less.
7 Quid whatever amount.

https://www.pnbeonline.co.uk/

Hope you both are keeping well...Keep in touch..
Fred.

ervenescence
5th November 2007, 12:35
I used Natwest to sent money abroad, I got 2 cards and I left one to my family but the problem is whenever they took money from the atm, theres a charge £1.50 per transaction which I think its too much. So I switch to Nationwide now and so far so good. :)

bigtombowski
5th November 2007, 12:38
yeh coz halifax is £1.50 per transaction
maybe i should open an account with nationwide :D

tom

kimmi
5th November 2007, 13:31
he he he ure right Erve, sorry Tommison I just asked Clive about it..so i replied late..:)

charlwill
5th November 2007, 13:46
I used Nationwide Flex Account for 6 years! Left my other ATM card to my family. No hidden charges, the only bank that never charge in every withdrawals anywhere.

andypaul
5th November 2007, 19:15

Was 115 when i was out there to get married :omg:

bigtombowski
6th November 2007, 02:50
i just asked halifax today how much it would be to do a bank-to-bank from my account to Mar's PNB account ...

it's £17.5 per transaction ... no matter what the size!

YAKKY

no way!

western union is a LOT cheaper!

tom

Bridget
6th November 2007, 05:36
I have Chinatrust VISA card and to transfer money from UK, my fiance just deposit the money to the IRemit Bank account in any Barclay Branch and the money will be available in the Philippines within 24 hours.
IRemit's exchange rate is over 91 Pesos to the pound, and their
transer fee
only £6 much better than WU.

JAMZ
6th November 2007, 07:36
I have heard a lot re PNB here but aren't your loved ones receiving the monies having a hard time withdrawing their monies in PNB in the Philippines? My husband used to get the services from the PNB before what it annoyed us that it is most of the time OFFLINE in most of the branches in Central Business District. That is why we had the notion that maybe they are always offline because they want to hold off the monies first of these OFWs or senders... :icon_lol:

fred
6th November 2007, 09:09
JAMZ.

We have never encountered that problem with PNB.
The money so far has always been there for us to pick up as per ordered.
No complaints.

joebloggs
6th November 2007, 14:26
I've been sending money thru PNB europe to my wifes aunt for many years, shes never had a problem, and many years ago i use to use RBS international money transfer and iam sure they charge near £30 !! then.:doh

bigtombowski
6th November 2007, 14:30
it's a complete rip off!

Bridget
6th November 2007, 14:55
Im glad that we didn`t have any problem with the Iremit.

bigtombowski
6th November 2007, 14:57
i gotta look into all this stuff, coz i am being ripped off by WU at the moment! hehehe lol!

tom

JAMZ
6th November 2007, 21:25
Western Union is really a rip off, don't ever consider that unless no choice. I have never used that though, but according to most of my friends, they find Western Union overcharging service fees.

bigtombowski
7th November 2007, 00:36
western union is what i have been usin, jammy!

kimmi
7th November 2007, 00:48
we also use western union before, their service is great but the service fee is bugger..:)

bigtombowski
7th November 2007, 00:56
it's true, but cheaper than my bank
eek

Bridget
7th November 2007, 01:33
Hi Tom, have a look this one, weve been using this service and we are happy as good rate and quicker.
www.myiremit.com

bigtombowski
7th November 2007, 01:43
thank u bridge :D

Bridget
7th November 2007, 04:03
thank u bridge :D

you`re welcome :)

andypaul
7th November 2007, 08:42
Funky music on the iremit site tom if you have to use wu in emegency make sure you get the discount card.