PDA

View Full Version : Should extremely obese children be taken into care?

lastlid
16th August 2012, 06:47
"Does allowing a child to become morbidly obese qualify as child abuse? Some health and social care professionals believe it is a question that needs to be considered more seriously.

Just a few months ago, the town of Aberdare in South Wales, was the scene of a dramatic rescue.

A 19-year-old girl was pulled from her house by a crew of fire fighters - not because of a fire, but because she weighed more than 50 stone (318kg).

The girl needed urgent medical treatment but could not fit through the front door of her house and so a wall was knocked down so she could be taken to hospital.

Medics and social workers were on standby to give the girl much needed support, but the question some people have asked is why social workers did not take preventative measures - such as taking the girl into care when she was younger - before such extreme action was needed?

The question of whether extreme obesity is a child protection issue is a sensitive subject, but one which is gaining traction with some health and social care professionals."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19267308

grahamw48
16th August 2012, 09:32
Yes.

If they were dogs or cats the RSPCA would have intervened. :rolleyes:

lastlid
16th August 2012, 09:35
Yes.

If they were dogs or cats the RSPCA would have intervened. :rolleyes:

Food for thought eh.....:D

grahamw48
16th August 2012, 09:42
I'm tired of irresponsible fools having to be bailed out by everyone else, that's all. :NoNo:

If you want to eat yourself to death...pay for it yourself AND the consequences.

If you want to climb Ben Nevis in mid-winter and end up having to be rescued by helicopter. PAY for it.

At least smokers pay enormous taxes.

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 09:58
The feckless parents should be locked up

lastlid
16th August 2012, 10:09
I kind of share you guys sentiments but perhaps not in such a draconian way.....:D

lastlid
16th August 2012, 10:13
To be fair, I think in some cases the parents just don't realise the damage they are doing.....and it isn't just the few that are potentially culpable.

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 11:24
Mrs Lump and daughter

http://www.wlossblog.com/uploads/2010/02/parents-kids-obesity.jpg

imagine
16th August 2012, 11:38
perhaps more health education in school:Erm:

lastlid
16th August 2012, 11:49
perhaps more health education in school:Erm:

To be honest with you I am not sure if it is included. But if it isn't then it should be....

gWaPito
16th August 2012, 13:26
Gotta agree with Graham and Ded...the measures prescribed are wholly suitable. If fact criminals charges should be unleashed upon then.

Disgraceful!....its been said that due to this obesity problem the national health service will eventually will become bankrupt.

I was in my local Tesco on Monday, doing the weekly shop searching out finger foods for our 15 month baby...honesty, bags of ''healthy'' snacks in crisp bags...talk about trying to hook then early....bloody disgraceful!

The goverments what allow this to to happen should be brought before the courts..:cwm23:

lastlid
16th August 2012, 13:31
Gotta agree with Graham and Ded...the measures prescribed are wholly suitable. If fact criminals charges should be unleashed upon then.

Disgraceful!....its been said that due to this obesity problem the national health service will eventually will become bankrupt.

I was in my local Tesco on Monday, doing the weekly shop searching out finger foods for our 15 month baby...honesty, bags of ''healthy'' snacks in crisp bags...talk about trying to hook then early....bloody disgraceful!

The goverments what allow this to to happen should be brought before the courts..:cwm23:

:D I agree with Graham and Ded too. Except I wouldn't line them up against a wall and shoot the culpable....:icon_lol:

gWaPito
16th August 2012, 14:13
:D I agree with Graham and Ded too. Except I wouldn't line them up against a wall and shoot the culpable....:icon_lol:

Oh!...I didn't read that bit....perhaps a good thrashing with the cat o nine tails would be more suitable..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
16th August 2012, 14:15
Oh!...I didn't read that bit....perhaps a good thrashing with the cat o nine tails would be more suitable..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ded would consider that toooo lenient...:D

imagine
16th August 2012, 14:40

perhaps the goverment is in tescos pockets :Erm: or is it visa versa,, 3 for 2

lastlid
16th August 2012, 14:43

Bl00dy good point.....I think my wife was alluding to that yesterday...:icon_lol: as we plonked two pillow sized packs of cheesy wotsits into the trolley on a buy 1 get one free tariff...

imagine
16th August 2012, 14:43
(quote lastlid) Should extremely obese children be taken into care?

No:NoNo:

how about Boot Camp:D

imagine
16th August 2012, 14:44
Bl00dy good point.....I think my wife was alluding to that yesterday...:icon_lol:

sometime wonder who is running this country:Erm: cos it sure isnt the goverment

lastlid
16th August 2012, 14:47
(quote lastlid) Should extremely obese children be taken into care?

No:NoNo:

how about Boot Camp:D

That was the caption in the link....

imagine
16th August 2012, 14:54
That was the caption in the link....

:Erm: didnt see a caption about boot camp:Erm::icon_lol:

grahamw48
16th August 2012, 14:58

I think starvation would be a suitable punishment. :)

lastlid
16th August 2012, 15:00
I think starvation would be a suitable punishment. :)

:icon_lol: Heh, there was a good thread on that a few days back......starvation every 2 days....

grahamw48
16th August 2012, 15:06
...and some physical WORK. :rolleyes:

gWaPito
16th August 2012, 15:29
From the consumers point of view nowt wrong with tesco....I dont see any shoppers being frog marched into store:rolleyes:

The parents should go to boot camp, not the kids!....the parents are wholly responsible for there situation....its they who put the crap in there shopping trolleys, not the kids.

grahamw48
16th August 2012, 15:34
Absolutely right. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just about the only thing people are not tested on these days....parenting skills. :NoNo:

How can you teach your child to tie shoelaces when neither of you can see your own blinkin feet ? :doh

imagine
16th August 2012, 15:49
From the consumers point of view nowt wrong with tesco....I dont see any shoppers being frog marched into store:rolleyes:

The parents should go to boot camp, not the kids!....the parents are wholly responsible for there situation....its they who put the crap in there shopping trolleys, not the kids.

perhaps its the parents who werent educated in health and well being,

theres so much crap in much processed foods, and if people buy it then the supermarkets supply it,
but surely the food processing should be scrutanised

lastlid
16th August 2012, 15:59
perhaps its the parents who werent educated in health and well being,

theres so much crap in much processed foods, and if people buy it then the supermarkets supply it,
but surely the food processing should be scrutanised

Exactly....

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 16:08
Never give a sucker an even break :icon_lol:

iE-H__aIEFE

lastlid
16th August 2012, 16:26
Never give a sucker an even break :icon_lol:

iE-H__aIEFE

Yikes...that was Part 1 of 12....

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 16:29
We watched it on BBC iPlayer last month, very informative, it's not on there anymore

lastlid
16th August 2012, 16:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4-Xztw7tOY&feature=relmfu

lastlid
16th August 2012, 16:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6UaUQ0H8crQ&feature=endscreen

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 16:52
iplayer was in 3 episodes - caught the last one just before it self erased, thats the problem with it. I wonder if there's any sneaky software out there that lets you retain the progs for personal viewing

gWaPito
16th August 2012, 17:18

Now I thought about it :rolleyes: you got a good point there.

More than likely it a goverment plan to get the population to die early thus saving on state pensions....makes perfect sense to me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now we know about there skullduggery, we gotta beat them at there own game.

Rhose
16th August 2012, 17:33
...and some physical WORK. :rolleyes:
:xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: I need it too!!

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 17:56
Now I thought about it :rolleyes: you got a good point there.

More than likely it a goverment plan to get the population to die early thus saving on state pensions....makes perfect sense to me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now we know about there skullduggery, we gotta beat them at there own game.

They're a crafty outfit I recall Leahy publicly brown nosing it with Blair for years then in 2009 when he knew the game was up moving over to the Tories :)

gWaPito
16th August 2012, 19:19
They're a crafty outfit I recall Leahy publicly brown nosing it with Blair for years then in 2009 when he knew the game was up moving over to the Tories :)

You know Ded, it actually turns my guts thinking about those two mincing it. Believe me, if i could shop anywhere else getting the same service and choice, I would...that's a thread we've had before so I wont be disturbing that old chestnut.

Yeah, like Blair he abandoned ship (like all rats) before the brown stuff hit the fan.

Now Blair has the cheek to want high office again:NoNo:...talk about the man up there with the birds. :NoNo:

Dedworth
16th August 2012, 19:29
You know Ded, it actually turns my guts thinking about those two mincing it. Believe me, if i could shop anywhere else getting the same service and choice, I would...that's a thread we've had before so I wont be disturbing that old chestnut.

Yeah, like Blair he abandoned ship (like all rats) before the brown stuff hit the fan.

Now Blair has the cheek to want high office again:NoNo:...talk about the man up there with the birds. :NoNo:

Two peas in a pod Gwap - that pair of slippery shysters