PDA

View Full Version : On The Road

Alan
26th July 2007, 18:21
Hi all,

Hope you do not mind another question. (That's teachers for you - always asking questions.)

I could not get this next question answered satisfactorily even when I was over there.

Here we go: - Can anybody tell me - What are the rules of the road (Highway Code) in the Philippines?
As far as I personally can judge, there only seem to be 2 rules.
1. If you see an inch of space, dive into it.
2. Sound your horn as much as possible.

I actually enjoy driving but - particularly in Manila - I would not DREAM of getting behind the wheel. :NoNo:

Alan

LadyJ
26th July 2007, 19:05
Interesting topic!

If red light shown, you go.
If you are sitting on the traffic and there's an emergency ambulance or police coming, get ready to jump behind them after they passed.
If you made a mistake and stopped by the police, you know what to do.

and make sure you have an aircondition car to keep you away from the polution and heat.

but don't worry this only happens in the city and there still few good drivers left there.

KeithD
26th July 2007, 19:08
Go left or right at a roundabout.
DO NOT stop at a stop sign.
Ignore pedestrians.
Do not use mirrors when overtaking.

Alan
26th July 2007, 19:15
Dear Ladyj and Keith,

Marvellous! This is ALREADY beginning to make sense. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan

Alan
26th July 2007, 19:20
As the title suggests - by the way - on the subject of traffic. How about a couple of world records.

Whilst in the beautiful Phils. the most people I saw on a motor bike was 6 - and the most people I saw on (and in) a tricycle (motor bike powered) was 10.

Can anybody beat those? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan (again)

LadyJ
26th July 2007, 19:21
Anyway Alan, I saw in the news that Oxford is one of the worst place hit by the flooding. How are you and your town coping it?

Alan
26th July 2007, 19:35
Hi Lady J,

By the way - many, many congrats. on your new arrival - may God bless you all. (Incidentally, Alan is a nice name. :BouncyHappy:)

As for the flood - I sandbagged the front of my house last Friday and got away with just a wet carpet in the hall. Very lucky. Everything OK now but thanks for asking. Some of my neighbours were not so lucky however.
And just to think, 4 weeks ago I was swimming in the Philippine sea with 41 degrees!!!! Why oh why did I come back??

Alan

KeithD
26th July 2007, 20:21
Why oh why did I come back??

Same reason as the rest of us.....stupidity :D

gracia143
27th July 2007, 05:21
As the title suggests - by the way - on the subject of traffic. How about a couple of world records.

Whilst in the beautiful Phils. the most people I saw on a motor bike was 6 - and the most people I saw on (and in) a tricycle (motor bike powered) was 10.

Can anybody beat those? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan (again)

Hi Alan! I bet you're talking about the famous "Habal-habal"...next time you hop in on one of those bikes don't forget to take along your rosary. Trust me, you'll need it. :D

dave65
27th July 2007, 14:58
i asked my brother in law if they have a list of rules for driving he said they wrote them down once then realised nobody would take any notice so didnt bother to enforce them
heres a question for you
why will my missis travel on jeepneys, trikes and pedicabs all close to coming apart quite happily but anytime she gets into my modern safe car she crosses herself and offers up i little prayer :doh:Cuckoo:

bigtombowski
27th July 2007, 17:15
Go left or right at a roundabout.
DO NOT stop at a stop sign.
Ignore pedestrians.
Do not use mirrors when overtaking.

So just like driving in birmingham then keef?

KeithD
27th July 2007, 17:16
Wouldn't know......never been to Pakistan :D

bigtombowski
27th July 2007, 17:18
i asked my brother in law if they have a list of rules for driving he said they wrote them down once then realised nobody would take any notice so didnt bother to enforce them
heres a question for you
why will my missis travel on jeepneys, trikes and pedicabs all close to coming apart quite happily but anytime she gets into my modern safe car she crosses herself and offers up i little prayer :doh:Cuckoo:

probbbly sumfin ta do wif yer drivin mate! lol
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
if your driving is as accomplished as the spelling and grammar of that last sentence (which I'm aching for Alan to ameliorate)! lol!

Alan
28th July 2007, 15:59
I could ameliorate the sentence - or I could even make it better!! But would I be thanked for doing it?

Another thing that makes me chuckle on the roads over there is - all the taxis, buses etc.. have written on the back of them - 'How's my driving?'

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!:Erm:

Peanutz
28th July 2007, 16:06
I could ameliorate the sentence - or I could even make it better!! But would I be thanked for doing it?

Another thing that makes me chuckle on the roads over there is - all the taxis, buses etc.. have written on the back of them - 'How's my driving?'

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!:Erm:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Wait until you get in my brothers car...Formula1 is nothing compares on how he drive:censored::furious3:
:ARsurrender:I nearly puke last time I was on the back seat of his car.
:yikes:I have told later on that he joined a Honda car racing in Asia:yikes::furious3::censored:

bigtombowski
28th July 2007, 16:22
lol

i think i will fit right in there when it comes to driving LOL

scotsfiancee
28th July 2007, 20:42
Hello to all!

Just wondering if anyone of you here have already tried to drive in philippines....

If so, does we need to get an ''International Driving Permit''?

And Where to apply?

Any advice, much appreciated.

KeithD
29th July 2007, 09:22
I think you just need the green card off the AA.....costs about £4

andypaul
29th July 2007, 09:28
Never felt the urge to drive in Phill, cheaper to hire a car for 20 quid a day and let the driver eat with you for the day than have the stresss.

darren-b
29th July 2007, 13:37
The AA website says you need a International Driving Permit if you're going to hire a car in the Philippines. You can get it from the AA, RAC, or even from a Post Office. It costs £5.50 from the Post Office.

Though the hire car company I've used a couple of times in Bacolod have never bothered to ask me for any form of license/permit.

scotsfiancee
29th July 2007, 18:01
A guy somewhere in england, which he moved already in PI now said that the UK driving licence is valid in the Phils, but only for 90 day's.

After the 90 day's you must hold a Philippine driving licence, you will have to have a medical & a drug test even for transfering your UK licence.

Betta give a quick call to LTO to make sure...........

Thanks guys! :cwm38: