PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Iintermittent Fasting

lastlid
5th August 2012, 19:23
"Scientists are uncovering evidence that short periods of fasting, if properly controlled, could achieve a number of health benefits, as well as potentially helping the overweight, as Michael Mosley discovered.

I'd always thought of fasting as something unpleasant, with no obvious long term benefits. So when I was asked to make a documentary that would involve me going without food, I was not keen as I was sure I would not enjoy it.

But the Horizon editor assured me there was great new science and that I might see some dramatic improvements to my body. So, of course, I said, "yes".

I am not strong-willed enough to diet over the long term, but I am extremely interested in the reasons why eating less might lead to increased life span, particularly as scientists think it may be possible to get the benefits without the pain.

Michael Mosley presents Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC Two at 21:00 BST on Monday 6 August

Watch online afterwards via iPlayer (UK only) or browse Horizon clips at the above link
How you age is powerfully shaped by your genes. But there's not much you can do about that.

Calorie restriction, eating well but not much, is one of the few things that has been shown to extend life expectancy, at least in animals. We've known since the 1930s that mice put on a low-calorie, nutrient-rich diet live far longer. There is mounting evidence that the same is true in monkeys."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

grahamw48
5th August 2012, 19:43
Do they say anything about intermittent sex ? :cwm3:

gWaPito
5th August 2012, 19:48
Its always to hand, always on tap :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th August 2012, 20:18
Must be awful being without a woman AND having Arthritis. :olddude:

CBM
5th August 2012, 20:22
Predators, unlike herbivores, are adapted to occasional fasting - they don't always catch lunch - and they do better in zoos, etc., if they are made to fast occasionally.

Humans are predators - we eat meat...

lastlid
5th August 2012, 20:30
Predators, unlike herbivores, are adapted to occasional fasting - they don't always catch lunch - and they do better in zoos, etc., if they are made to fast occasionally.

Humans are predators - we eat meat...

Seemingly it doesnt involve 100% fasting on the fasting days, just a reduction down to about 600 calories - thats a light breakfast and then skip lunch and dont go too mad with dinner.

andy222
5th August 2012, 20:46
Eat what you like when you like thats what I say.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
5th August 2012, 20:56
Eat what you like when you like thats what I say.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
6th August 2012, 19:38
"Michael Mosley is well known for his willingness to suffer in the name of science. His latest experiment on himself (most recently he let us take a peek at his intestines via a teeny tiny camera) is a three-day fast, all in the cause of holding back time.

According to Horizon, going a bit hungry can add years to your life. Mosley meets Joe, a devotee of this so-called “calorie restricted with optimum nutrition” lifestyle, who lives on 1,900 calories a day. It looks and sounds joyless, but Mosley, after his fast and a less brutal version of the diet, feels like a new man. He looks a bit like one, too."

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
"Michael Mosley sets himself an ambitious goal - he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight, making as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He explores new research that sheds light on the benefits of fasting and believes he has found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. He then tests the science on himself - with life-changing results."

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/rpbdb/horizon--horizon-eat-fast-and-live-longer

lastlid
6th August 2012, 23:07
A very interesting program indeed. Watchable on iPlayer.

grahamw48
6th August 2012, 23:08
I'm starving. :cwm3:

lastlid
7th August 2012, 06:36
I'm Hank Marvin.

grahamw48
7th August 2012, 09:44
I'm consoled by the fact that as well as living another 20 years, I will only have to buy food for 5 days of the week....thus saving me around £7. THAT will buy me 20 cigs. :Erm: