PDA

View Full Version : CFO thing, whatever it is

Pauldo
21st September 2005, 21:33
Hi all, very unsure about this most important of documents/procedures, as I've seen it referred to several times, but I'm not to sure exactly what it is, or for whom it applies.

Long story short, we're trying to bring the mother in law to the UK, on a settlement visa, and we're wondering whether she needs to do the CFO seminar business thing.

Obviously, it's not a British Embassy deal, so they probably won't be able to give us any finite answers, (can they ever??) so where would be the place to contact to get the facts? Website?
Cheers, Paul B

peterdavid
21st September 2005, 23:05
Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 21 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi all, very unsure about this most important of documents/procedures, as I've seen it referred to several times, but I'm not to sure exactly what it is, or for whom it applies.

Long story short, we're trying to bring the mother in law to the UK, on a settlement visa, and we're wondering whether she needs to do the CFO seminar business thing.

Obviously, it's not a British Embassy deal, so they probably won't be able to give us any finite answers, (can they ever??) so where would be the place to contact to get the facts? Website?
Cheers, Paul B

Quoted post

Yes, she will need it - go to www.gov.ph (I think) and scour their cluttered website, should be some contact details on there somewhere - give them a ring.

As for "what is it" - it's a shameless exercise in filipino nationalistic foreigner bashing where filipina wives are told to expect a life of domestic violence instead of the blissful life in the Philippines they could otherwise have had and are "educated" in the (mostly bad) ways of their new country by ignorant office workers who have never set foot outside of Metro Manila, let alone travelled to a foreign country, ably assisted by horrendously outdated 1970s video footage of London which bears absolutely no relevance to the UK in 2005.

Oh - and no foreigner is allowed in, in case you see what they're saying about you behind your back or expose the hideous untruths littered throughout their ridiculous seminar. It would almost be funny, in itself, if they didn't make the process of attending and pointlessly waiting around for hours on end in the heat so painfully unbearable.

Your mother in law is in for a right treat - expect her never to look at you the same way again, you evil, imperialistic wife beating drunkard foreigner who's abusing her daughter morning noon and night.

Pauldo
22nd September 2005, 07:45
Originally posted by peterdavid@Sep 21 2005, 11:05 PM
Yes, she will need it - go to www.gov.ph (I think) and scour their cluttered website, should be some contact details on there somewhere - give them a ring.

Your mother in law is in for a right treat - expect her never to look at you the same way again, you evil, imperialistic wife beating drunkard foreigner who's abusing her daughter morning noon and night.

Quoted post

So, we've been sprung eh? All these years Filipinas thought they were escaping the Philippines to move to the land of plenty, not realising for one second they were in for the ride of their lives and would soon be flocking to the PI embassy begging and screaming for repatriation :D :rolleyes: :lol:

peterdavid
22nd September 2005, 09:38
Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 22 2005, 06:45 AM
So, we've been sprung eh? All these years Filipinas thought they were escaping the Philippines to move to the land of plenty, not realising for one second they were in for the ride of their lives and would soon be flocking to the PI embassy begging and screaming for repatriation :D :rolleyes: :lol:

Quoted post

If you're really lucky, I'm sure they'll tailor it for your mother in law to fully inform her she faces life in a dilapidated nursing home, utterly uncared for, and that you won't visit her and neither will her daughter because you'll have her chanied in the basement scrubbing your clothes with bleeding hands. And then she'll die and be left to rot for 6 months because no one will notice.

That's the general level of information that's peddled as truth at these things. My wife was told all sorts of nonsense that I've long since forgotten, which were completely untrue and based on sterotypes as exaggerated as imagining that all filipinos are dog eating jungle dwelling tree worshipping savages. Still, gave us a good laugh.

Pauldo
22nd September 2005, 11:50
Originally posted by peterdavid@Sep 22 2005, 09:38 AM
.......all filipinos are dog eating jungle dwelling tree worshipping savages. Still, gave us a good laugh.

Quoted post

You mean some aren't???? :o

Seriously though, when my wife got her first passport she had to go to some seminar or other, many years ago, but when she trundled herself all the way to Manila they told her she was the only person who'd showed that day, so if she just gave them the money they'd give her the certificate and cut out all the time wasting of actually doing the seminar :o :unsure: :D

Not sure if that is the same CFO thing others have had to do?

I spent two enjoyable hours trawling through the www.gov.ph website but I can't find anything about the CFO seminar. We just need to find out if ALL Filipinos leaving the PI need it, or only those selling their soul to a canniball, sado-masochistic foreign husband :rolleyes:
Cheers, Paul

andypaul
22nd September 2005, 20:54
Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 22 2005, 11:50 AM
You mean some aren't???? :o

Seriously though, when my wife got her first passport she had to go to some seminar or other, many years ago, but when she trundled herself all the way to Manila they told her she was the only person who'd showed that day, so if she just gave them the money they'd give her the certificate and cut out all the time wasting of actually doing the seminar :o :unsure: :D

Not sure if that is the same CFO thing others have had to do?

I spent two enjoyable hours trawling through the www.gov.ph website but I can't find anything about the CFO seminar. We just need to find out if ALL Filipinos leaving the PI need it, or only those selling their soul to a canniball, sado-masochistic foreign husband :rolleyes:
Cheers, Paul

Quoted post

This might be the site your looking for

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/

Pauldo
22nd September 2005, 21:19
Originally posted by andypaul@Sep 22 2005, 08:54 PM
This might be the site your looking for

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/

Quoted post

Hey, great stuff, I've got the info I need in a matter of seconds. Thanks.

ginapeterb
23rd September 2005, 08:23
Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 22 2005, 08:19 PM
Hey, great stuff, I've got the info I need in a matter of seconds. Thanks.

Quoted post

Its nice to see the CFO have now decided to put a nice map on their website finally, showing the St Marys Eurphrasia foundation, at the Good Shepherd Convent, 1043 Aurora Boulevard, QC, at the time we went, their was no information, and forget the Embassy, they dont even know what a Emigrant stamp is, so they are a dead end.

But at least the website has the information including the location map, which now makes it easier for those who have people going, the nearest station on the LTR3 from Ayala Station is Areneta-Cubao, Fare P22.00 each way...hehehe

Admin
23rd September 2005, 08:28
life in a dilapidated nursing home, utterly uncared for, and that you won't visit her and neither will her daughter
Nice to see they are informed of the State care homes in this country :lol:

Pauldo
23rd September 2005, 16:39
Originally posted by admin@Sep 23 2005, 08:28 AM
Nice to see they are informed of the State care homes in this country :lol:

Quoted post

Well, my wife works in nursing homes, as a 'care giver' so she'll vouch how bad they are :D

Eljohno
30th December 2005, 15:48
Hi guys,
i know asking this question could make me look dumb but is the cfo needed when you are applying for the settlement visa or afterwards when you are leaving the country if the visa is accepted.

John

andypaul
30th December 2005, 19:02
Originally posted by Eljohno@Dec 30 2005, 03:48 PM
Hi guys,
i know asking this question could make me look dumb but is the cfo needed when you are applying for the settlement visa or afterwards when you are leaving the country if the visa is accepted.

John

Quoted post

Hi John

My Wife and i decided that she would go to the CFO once she was married so that she could get a letter from them giving permission to change her surname to mine on her passport.

It meant it took longer for us to apply at the UK embassy but it may have helped our Visa application that we had already got CFO paperwork, my Wife showed her comittment to our marriage by changing her name to mine (Would like to stress that it was no skin off my nose if she changed her name to mine or not, it was her choice).

It has also helped once she is here as regarding adding her name to utility bills and opening bank accounts has been fairly straight forward.

Although my Wife had to make two vists to the CFO one for the Interview and a second once the Visa was issued (which was merely a formality to get the stamp and a form to fill in and send back after she got to the UK). My Wife was happier doing this as she had already passed an "Interview" when we went to apply for the UK Visa.

But they is not obligation to go to the CFO before getting your Visa. I guess its up to the Indivuals involved. My Wife lives in Laguna just a few hours from Manila so its not to bad going a couple of times. But for those living further away it might be more of a hardship.

But in no way are you Dumb asking the question, my Wife encountered people at the CFO who had forgotten to go to the CFO and were only turned back at the Airport once they had the Visa or didn't have the correct Marriage NSO certficate to show the CFO. They were the ones who were to scared to ask the questions like people on here do.

Pauldo
30th December 2005, 22:50
Originally posted by andypaul@Dec 30 2005, 07:02 PM
Hi John

My Wife and i decided that she would go to the CFO once she was married so that she could get a letter from them giving permission to change her surname to mine on her passport.

It meant it took longer for us to apply at the UK embassy but it may have helped our Visa application that we had already got CFO paperwork, my Wife showed her comittment to our marriage by changing her name to mine (Would like to stress that it was no skin off my nose if she changed her name to mine or not, it was her choice).

It has also helped once she is here as regarding adding her name to utility bills and opening bank accounts has been fairly straight forward.

Although my Wife had to make two vists to the CFO one for the Interview and a second once the Visa was issued (which was merely a formality to get the stamp and a form to fill in and send back after she got to the UK). My Wife was happier doing this as she had already passed an "Interview" when we went to apply for the UK Visa.

But they is not obligation to go to the CFO before getting your Visa. I guess its up to the Indivuals involved. My Wife lives in Laguna just a few hours from Manila so its not to bad going a couple of times. But for those living further away it might be more of a hardship.

But in no way are you Dumb asking the question, my Wife encountered people at the CFO who had forgotten to go to the CFO and were only turned back at the Airport once they had the Visa or didn't have the correct Marriage NSO certficate to show the CFO. They were the ones who were to scared to ask the questions like people on here do.

Quoted post

Hmm. The CFO site says you must have your visa before you go get the brainwashing seminar. not sure if that is the usual Filipino inaccuracy of information though. Right hand, left hand stuff.

And I'll second the bit about no dumb questions: A few years ago, when my wife was applying, I saw Filipinas at the embassy in Manila filling in visa application forms as they were waiting to go up to the counter, and actually asking me what this or that meant!!! Talk about planning well in advance??? :blink: :unsure:

Ask about anything and everything you have doubts on, as asking here is far easier than making a double trip to the PI to patch up loose ends or missing documents.

andypaul
31st December 2005, 19:57
Originally posted by Pauldo@Dec 30 2005, 10:50 PM
Hmm. The CFO site says you must have your visa before you go get the brainwashing seminar. not sure if that is the usual Filipino inaccuracy of information though. Right hand, left hand stuff.

Quoted post

The reason My Wife could go before was so she could get permisson to change her passport to her married name.
I think in theory also if the lady did not already have a passport (like most Phils who rarely have the chance to leave their Country like us westners) before marrying she needs the CFO to give her a piece of Paper to let the DFA issue her a passport in her married name. Which she needs to apply for her Visa.

Of the two other Ladies on My Wifes CFO Course one was married and going to apply for a Visa like my Wife and the other had already got a Visa.

Like all things phil its all a bit vague

Eljohno
31st December 2005, 20:08
Originally posted by andypaul@Dec 31 2005, 06:57 PM
The reason My Wife could go before was so she could get permisson to change her passport to her married name.
I think in theory also if the lady did not already have a passport (like most Phils who rarely have the chance to leave their Country like us westners) before marrying she needs the CFO to give her a piece of Paper to let the DFA issue her a passport in her married name. Which she needs to apply for her Visa.

Of the two other Ladies on My Wifes CFO Course one was married and going to apply for a Visa like my Wife and the other had already got a Visa.

Like all things phil its all a bit vague

Quoted post

Hi Again,
we have that many things on our mind that is something we have overlooked that my wife just got her passport a while ago but it is still in her maiden name so will need changed before we send of the visa application.

John

andypaul
31st December 2005, 23:00
Originally posted by Eljohno@Dec 31 2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Again,
we have that many things on our mind that is something we have overlooked that my wife just got her passport a while ago but it is still in her maiden name so will need changed before we send of the visa application.

John

Quoted post

Well no law in either the UK or Phil says your wife has to change her name to yours. But when i asked My Mum and other Married Ladies in the UK they all advised it was best for an easier life with regards to paperwork.

If you both do decide to change your Wifes name to yours after the Visa Application i presume you need to get both the passport changed and a new Visa stamp put in with her new name.

Maybe others can advise i think from Memory Petes wife Gina had her Maiden name when she went for her Visa and she was ok.

Eljohno
31st December 2005, 23:22
Originally posted by andypaul@Dec 31 2005, 10:00 PM
Well no law in either the UK or Phil says your wife has to change her name to yours. But when i asked My Mum and other Married Ladies in the UK they all advised it was best for an easier life with regards to paperwork.

If you both do decide to change your Wifes name to yours after the Visa Application i presume you need to get both the passport changed and a new Visa stamp put in with her new name.

Maybe others can advise i think from Memory Petes wife Gina had her Maiden name when she went for her Visa and she was ok.

Quoted post

Ok i did not realise it was optional i thought she had to change it but will double check.Thanks for your help...

John

Admin
1st January 2006, 10:07
In order to make it EXTRA SIMPLE for the embassy folk, we had the wifes passport changed to my name. Best to keep the paperwork as easy as possible, they'll pick up on anything that doesn't look right.