PDA

View Full Version : Questions about your time in the Philippines.

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2012, 20:22
If applicable, how many times have you been to the Phils?

If you've lived in the Phils, how long for?

What's your favourite city in the Phils?

What's your favourite place in the Phils?

What place/city that you've never been to in the Phils, would you most like to visit?

What's your favourite time of year in the Phils?

CBM
25th July 2012, 21:01
Right-oh, I'll start. Must have visited maybe fifteen to twenty times, starting in 1991. Have lived and worked in Manila twice, for a total of coming up to two years, in the mid nineties. I have visited Cebu and Tagaytay and I've driven round North Luzon and been all over the Bataan peninsula, but that's about it.

Favourite place is Subic, because I have friends there, I like the rain forest and I can go sailing.

Not a big fan of Manila.

Favourite time of year - probably not the dry season - quite like the rainy season.

Would like to visit one of those pretty islands in the south that always show up on posters, just to see if they really exist.

Steve.r
25th July 2012, 21:11
8 times
My home and family are there so I spend as much time there as my work allows

My nearest town/city is Cabanatuan, I guess I like it because I know it, but I am a country person so prefer to be in the quiet of my home town

I like Dingalan but love being in my mahal's arms

What place/city that you've never been to in the Phils, would you most like to visit?
I want to see an active volcano where ever it may be.

I love the rainy season and the dramatic thunder storms

lastlid
25th July 2012, 22:42
I have only been to the Philippines twice so I cant really judge. Funny you chaps favouring the rainy season as I was there in June aswell as April and the rainy season in June was quite pleasant.

andy222
25th July 2012, 22:46
If applicable, how many times have you been to the Philippines?
6 times
My ambition is to live there
I feel at home in Butuan City
Butuan with my wife and stepdaughter.
Palawan
Any time as long as Im with my family.

Jamesey
25th July 2012, 22:55
I don't know! Between 10 and 15

1 year

"Big" city would be Cebu. But I also like Laoag and Baguio

That's a tough one! But probably El Nido. Honorable mentions to Panglao, Makati, Boracay and the Cagayan Valley

Bicol, Coron, Siargao, Siguihor.... there's loads, especially in the Visayas

Christmas and New Year

subseastu
26th July 2012, 06:03
Lost count to be honest but maybe 15-20 times since 1998
Used to go out on my leaves for about 2 years for 4 weeks at a time
Olongapo but 8 years ago, wish I had a time machine
As above

Palawan, Tagaytay, explore north Luzon by car
Dry

deeen
26th July 2012, 17:57
7 times

I will think about retiring there

Local bar with videoke , cold beer and sisig!
Palawan, La Union, 100 Islands, Mt. Mayon, Donsol, Bohol (to be continued...)

I quite like November, after the typhoons, before Christmas and holiday season

@Jamie, what is the reason for your survey?

grahamw48
26th July 2012, 18:22

Since 1990, maybe 15-20 times. Would need to check my passports.

Various lengths of stay, usually a few months to a year at a time. Longest was 3 years. 2000-2003.

I quite liked Cebu City, but I lived for a long time in Angeles City, so feel pretty at home there.

I really enjoyed living in Bicol, way out in the province.

I'd like to visit Davao and Palawan.

I like all times, but Xmas and New Year take a lot of beating. I must have spent 9 or 10 there.

Ako Si Jamie
26th July 2012, 19:57
7 times

I will think about retiring there

Local bar with videoke , cold beer and sisig!
Palawan, La Union, 100 Islands, Mt. Mayon, Donsol, Bohol (to be continued...)

I quite like November, after the typhoons, before Christmas and holiday season

@Jamie, what is the reason for your survey?No particular reason :). Just interested in people's opinions :xxgrinning--00xx3: Must say there's some serious Phils goers on here. Myself and lastlid are lagging behind. :icon_lol:

Terpe
26th July 2012, 20:28

Since 1998 I've been to Philippines 18 times. Wish it was more.

I've never really lived in the Philippines as such. I based my life in Japan for many years, which is only a 4 hour flight away so I would often stay in the philippines for months at a time. Never managed to complete a full Balikbayan stamp though.

My very favorite city has always been Davao.
But I also have a house in Marikina and always enjoy a few days in Manila.

Whenever we're in the Philippines we always travel around as much as we can. We've visited plenty of places, including all the usual touristy ones, but so far we both feel that Bohol takes a lot of beating.

However, there's is one other very special place I've visited (that my wife hasn't) that could be my perfect place if ever I wanted to truly escape from everything and anything, as in stop the world, jump off, and disappear from the radar in the known world to a beautiful hideaway.
That then would most definitely be Itbayat Island. It's not only the largest of the Batanes Islands, it's also the northernmost inhabited place in the Philippines. About 900 km from Manila and about 180 km from Taiwan. Also about 100 years back in time regarding community, social strength, honesty, trust, peace and happiness.
But then that's another story.

I've heard such good things about Palawan. Neither myself nor my wife have ever been there but we both will definitely make a visit very soon to see why so many folks are just enthralled by it.

Like many others I really enjoy Chistmas and the New Year. The atmosphere is just magical.
But definitely avoid the street fireworks in Manila!!!!
Have to admit though, that some of the rainstorms in the rainy season are truely awesome and fascinating but sometimes frightening

C'mon Jamie, how about your views too.

Ako Si Jamie
26th July 2012, 21:32
C'mon Jamie, how about your views too.OK Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've only been twice and hope to live there someday.

I've been through Manila, Kalibo and Olangapo but the only cities I've stayed in are Angeles & San Fernando City in Pampanga. I like them both but Angeles is a bit more interesting. :icon_lol: I like flying to Clark Airport too even though DragonAir forgot my suitcase :doh It's only a 15 minute drive to where the action is in Angeles and there's not much traffic on the way there.

I've stayed at Iba in Zambales too. The beach there is massive and it was quiet in January although the beach isn't as nice as the ones on Boracay. Other places I've been to in Zambales are Botolan, Masinloc, Candelaria, Potipot Island and Magalawa Island.

Potipot Island is a nice wee island which has a Boracay-esque beach and clear waters but Boracay for me is the best place I've been to so far. I wasn't overly keen on Station 2 and around the D'mall area but I liked Station 1 and in particular, Puka Beach.

Next on the agenda is either Cebu/Bohol or Palawan but I'd also like to go to Maria's birthplace, Bicol, ride the train to Naga City and also go to Catanduanes. Also I'd like to visit Pagudpud, Puerto Galera, Siargao and Bolinao. Maybe Zamboanga too one day. :yikes:

Best time of year for me would be the dry season preferably, if I'm coming on holiday, but if I lived there the rainy season wouldn't bother me.

grahamw48
26th July 2012, 21:49
What's this erm 'action' in Angeles then ? :Erm:
:D

Ako Si Jamie
26th July 2012, 22:00
As if you didn't know! :icon_lol:

grahamw48
26th July 2012, 23:04
Blinkin inconvenience to me.... walking along laden with shopping and scantily-clad young ladies :cwm24: trying to drag me into dens of iniquity every 5 yards. :NoNo:

:innocent1:

RickyR
27th July 2012, 00:25
Not sure, but I have 100+ entry stamps into the Philippines since 2006

In similar circumstances to Subseastu, I spent around 4+ years of having my home residence in the Philippines and commuting to and from work at sea directly to the Philippines. Started off in an apartment in Marikina (Luzon/Manila), then moved to Cebu.

Manila. Whilst most people hate it, I absolutely love Manila. It's so diverse, with so much going on. You are never more then 20 miles for beautiful countryside.

Home, wherever that may be.

So many places, but would love to visit the UNESCO Heritage sites such as the rice terraces in Luzon and underground river in Puerto Princessa

Christmas!!!

DaveW
27th July 2012, 19:26
11 times.

Not for more than 3 months
Probably Cebu.

Boracayhttp://filipinaroses.com/images/smilies/xxgrinning-smiley-00xx3.gif

Coron, Palawanhttp://filipinaroses.com/images/smilies/Wave.gif

November then January untill March. For sentimental reasons mainly

lastlid
27th July 2012, 20:05
Coron, Palawan

I have just been reading about Coron, Palawan. A filipinas blog on the place....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
27th July 2012, 21:34
Four times, between 1978 ( when I was visiting Manila hospitals ) and 2011, with many countries in between. A fifth visit, including Hong Kong, planned for this year. http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/2012-03-09_31.jpg
Never, only Malaysia, apart from UK.

Manila – especially Roxas Boulevard looking out to Manila Bay at sunset.http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/StGilesview4.jpghttp://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/ManilaBay12.jpg

Bohol – been there twice. This is Bolod beach, Panglao. http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/DBR17.jpg

Surfing at Siargao Island, Northern Mindanao.

Christmas.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/Greenbelt3.jpg

Steve.r
27th July 2012, 22:14
What a dashing chap you were...Oops! still are Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
29th July 2012, 01:37
I live in the Philippines " sigh" such a chaw and the gin is under two quid a bottle, :40__s:

grahamw48
29th July 2012, 10:13
You poor chap. :D

jonnijon
29th July 2012, 12:22
:icon_lol: