PDA

View Full Version : Free Flight to Rome!

lastlid
25th July 2012, 16:52
"An 11-year-old boy took a flight to Rome on his own from Manchester Airport without a passport or boarding pass, it has been revealed.
Liam Corcoran passed through security without being checked, before making his way on to the Jet2.com flight on Wednesday.
A Manchester Airport spokesman said: "This extremely serious matter is now being urgently investigated by officials from the airport and airline.
"It is clear that documentation has not been checked correctly at security and the boarding gate.
"The boy went through full security screening so the safety of passengers and the aircraft was never compromised.
"We are now making preparations to ensure that his return to the UK is handled sensitively to avoid any distress.""

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/boy-flies-rome-without-checks-062729984.html

Arthur Little
25th July 2012, 17:03
"An 11-year-old boy took a flight to Rome on his own from Manchester Airport without a passport or boarding pass", it has been revealed.

:cwm24: ... "what the dickens ...???" Surely a modern-day 'Artful Dodger'! :D

Terpe
25th July 2012, 17:07
According to the news report I heard on the TV there was no "head count" once boarding had completed.
Seems this airline has not made that a mandatory procedure.

I've been on quite a few flights that got delayed due to "head count" mismatch.
Usually when it was less than expected in which case we lost the take-off slot due to having the offenders baggage taken off.

I can only ever personally recall one case where the head count was higher than expected. Don't know what happened apart from the long delay.

Anyway, the airline has now said it will make the head count check mandatory.

Arthur Little
25th July 2012, 17:15
Surely a modern-day 'Artful Dodger'! :D

Athough ... mind you ... extremely worrying for the parents :23_111_9[1]::23_111_9[1]: if he'd been able to "roam the streets of Rome" - with or without their knowledge of his whereabouts :omg:!

lastlid
25th July 2012, 19:38
Amazing occurrence!

"The Manchester Evening News said he had run away from his mother during a shopping trip at the city's Wythenshawe Civic Centre and travelled to the airport on his own."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/british-boy-sneaks-onto-rome-flight-without-passport-101223041--oly.html

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2012, 19:55
Thought this was going to be a freebie :cwm24:

lastlid
25th July 2012, 19:58
Thought this was going to be a freebie :cwm24:

:icon_lol: Well it was for Liam Corcoran...

grahamw48
25th July 2012, 19:58
BASIC security.

You can bring in all the regulations and laws you like, but if people don't methodically adhere to them. :NoNo:

More care is taken over ridiculous petty rules and political-correctness in other non-vital areas I'd suggest, rather than procedures that really are of the utmost importance. :angry:

They'd soon have tracked him down if he'd been smoking in the bloody toilets. :rolleyes:

lastlid
26th July 2012, 12:40
"The "Rome alone" boy who breached security to board a flight to Italy has spoken of his adventure - and said he only wanted to use the plane's toilet.
Liam Corcoran spoke out after passing through five security checks at Manchester Airport and ending up on a Jet2.com plane bound for the Italian capital.
His mother, Mary, criticised airport staff for the blunder as a major investigation into the lapse continued.
Liam, who has learning difficulties, ran away from his mother after being told off when they were out shopping in Wythenshawe, Manchester, several miles from the airport.
Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Liam said: "I found a ticket on the floor that had the right day on it so I just sat on the bus.
"I knew it went to the airport. I love planes because of their big wings.
"But I didn't want to get on one. I just wanted to go to the toilet.""

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rome-alone-boy-11-tells-plane-trip-075053366.html