PDA

View Full Version : spouse visa inquiry and more

manilabong
21st July 2012, 19:57
Hi, all! Can I work with my spouse visa? And when I get to the UK, what are the things that should be done first? I think I read something like having a joint bank account with my husband. But can I do that even if I don't have a job yet?

lastlid
21st July 2012, 19:59
My wife doesn't have a job, but we have a joint bank account. No problem.

Yes, you are permitted to work on a Spouse visa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You need to register with a GP.

manilabong
21st July 2012, 20:05
I am so sorry but what is a GP?

lastlid
21st July 2012, 20:10
I am so sorry but what is a GP?

A doctor.

manilabong
21st July 2012, 20:12
Oh, ok. Thank you for the info, lastlid. Much appreciated. :)

manilabong
31st July 2012, 10:09
Hi! I'm back and now even more confused. I just browsed through some threads here, and I read one that says I need to have FLR first before getting a job? So does that mean I wont be able to apply for a National Insurance number if I'm on my spouse visa? They're different right, the spouse visa and FLR? :Erm:

Michael Parnham
31st July 2012, 10:22
Apply for your National Insurance Number at your local Jobcentre first, then register at your local Healthcentre with a GP (doctor). Good Luck! and keep asking questions.

raynaputi
31st July 2012, 10:42
Technically, spouse visa and FLR is just the same. Spouse visa is for the wife who applied outside UK. FLR(M) is for someone who applied in the UK and got a fiancee visa first.

manilabong
31st July 2012, 10:59
Technically, spouse visa and FLR is just the same. Spouse visa is for the wife who applied outside UK. FLR(M) is for someone who applied in the UK and got a fiancee visa first.

oh, ok! that's enlightening! thank you, rayna! i've got nothing to worry about, then. :)

manilabong
31st July 2012, 10:59
Apply for your National Insurance Number at your local Jobcentre first, then register at your local Healthcentre with a GP (doctor). Good Luck! and keep asking questions.

Noted. Thanks a lot! :)

ianlg8
10th October 2012, 10:38
Hi, all! Can I work with my spouse visa? And when I get to the UK, what are the things that should be done first? I think I read something like having a joint bank account with my husband. But can I do that even if I don't have a job yet?

Hi, You can immediately work with a spouse visa. You will need to apply for NI number (National Insurance) & a Bank Account. The next step before your spouse visa expire is apply for Permanent Residence. I'm not sure how long a spouse visa is valid these days. Mine was 2 years. So a month or two before it expires you will need to apply for Permanent Resident. Be sure you have money in the bank (£3000) should be enough I'm guessing. You will also need to Pass the Life in the UK test & any other test that is required before applying so leave ample time to prepare & pass the exam before applying. Being employed will also help to have a favorable decision.

After the required number of years (depending on the rules now) you can apply for British Citizenship.

Just to give you an overview of the time frame I had.

Spouse Visa 2 Years
Permanent Resident 1 Year

Then I was able to apply for Citizenship after.

Hope this helps.