PDA

View Full Version : Tocino

lastlid
21st July 2012, 15:43
We were in our local Asian shop today and we found they had Tocino in the freezer compartment. So it will be Tosilog for breakfast tomorrow. First time I have seen it here in the Britain.

The other week we found they had Tender Juicy red hotdogs.

So we came away with Tocino, White King Pancake Waffle mix, Ligo sardines and Pancit Canton Kalamansi, to keep the Mrs happy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st July 2012, 15:47
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Now you're becoming pinoy :rolleyes:

I'm lucky in that my wife loves Japanese foods and knows how to prepare them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
She also loves roast beef with yorkshire pudding and gravy.

lastlid
21st July 2012, 16:03

I'm lucky in that my wife loves Japanese foods and knows how to prepare them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Unfortunately Mrs Lastlid is a very fussy eater :icon_lol:. But she does seem to like yorkshire pudding.

raynaputi
21st July 2012, 16:24

Waaaahhhh....I love Japanese food!!! :hubbahubba: But Keith doesn't like it so we never go to a Japanese restaurant :doh:NoNo:

lastlid
21st July 2012, 16:30
Waaaahhhh....I love Japanese food!!! :hubbahubba: But Keith doesn't like it so we never go to a Japanese restaurant :doh:NoNo:

I would like to like Japanese food, but I just cant eat raw fish....:NoNo:

subseastu
22nd July 2012, 05:51

ditto. Had sushi onboard last night actually. The lads have been catching tuna off the side of the ship, very nice!!

My wife did some homemade Tocino last time I was home thinking about it, sure you could get the receipe off the net.

Saying that she had some dried fish the other day and told me it tasted like plastic. How long have you had it I asked her? TWO YEARS was the answer!!!!!! I ask you. She thought it would be alright as it was dried and kept in the fridge!!!! In the bin

Terpe
22nd July 2012, 07:35
I would like to like Japanese food, but I just cant eat raw fish....:NoNo:

There's so much more to Japanese food than raw fish :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
22nd July 2012, 08:50
ditto. Had sushi onboard last night actually. The lads have been catching tuna off the side of the ship, very nice!!

My wife did some homemade Tocino last time I was home thinking about it, sure you could get the receipe off the net.

Saying that she had some dried fish the other day and told me it tasted like plastic. How long have you had it I asked her? TWO YEARS was the answer!!!!!! I ask you. She thought it would be alright as it was dried and kept in the fridge!!!! In the bin

I wonder if it improves with age?

lastlid
22nd July 2012, 08:51
There's so much more to Japanese food than raw fish :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes. Probably ignorance on my part.

lastlid
22nd July 2012, 09:23
Just had the Tocino. It is labelled up as Tocino Pork then in brackets (Chasui Pork) and packaged in North West London. My wife says it isn't pampangas best. I noticed it was a lighter colour and not sweet like I had in the Philippines.

Just discovered a recipe for it, Pinoy style.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/06/06/how-to-make-pork-tocino/

andy222
22nd July 2012, 10:26
We were in our local Asian shop today and we found they had Tocino in the freezer compartment. So it will be Tosilog for breakfast tomorrow. First time I have seen it here in the Britain.

The other week we found they had Tender Juicy red hotdogs.

So we came away with Tocino, White King Pancake Waffle mix, Ligo sardines and Pancit Canton Kalamansi, to keep the Mrs happy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just give her a T-BONE steak lastlid with french mustard. Tell her from me she has to intergrate.:laugher:

GraceAdam
22nd July 2012, 10:51
aww good for you Lastid..Tocino is Adam's favourite when he visited me in the Phils, like his day is not complete without eating one..lol.. but we couldn't find any Tocino or similar to tocino here in Ramsgate.. too bad...

lastlid
22nd July 2012, 11:01
aww good for you Lastid..Tocino is Adam's favourite when he visited me in the Phils, like his day is not complete without eating one..lol.. but we couldn't find any Tocino or similar to tocino here in Ramsgate.. too bad...

Yes, it was a favourite of mine. I had some most days for breakfast when I was in the Philippines last year. I think Mrs Lastlid might end up making some as there are some recipes on the internet, Tocino chicken too.

The phone number on the packet for the UK Tocino is:

44 (0)20 8963 0405

But like I say, it wasnt sweet like I recall the Tocino was in the Philippines.

http://spicelandnorwich.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1381

Thats it in the link....

webclinician
15th August 2012, 20:07
The tocino's on shop were full of food colouring with little quality. Unfortunately, many people have no alternative.

lastlid
15th August 2012, 20:08
The tocino's on shop were full of food colouring with little quality. Unfortunately, many people have no alternative.

I did wonder about the food colouring.....

Terpe
15th August 2012, 21:07
I'm not a fan of Tocino. To the extent I will avoid it.
Despite my wife telling me how wonderful it is for breakfast :D

Now a good quality British Sausage or Black Pudding :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:
Luverly hehe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
15th August 2012, 21:10
I'm not a fan of Tocino. To the extent I will avoid it.
Despite my wife telling me how wonderful it is for breakfast :D

Now a good quality British Sausage or Black Pudding :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:
Luverly hehe :xxgrinning--00xx3: Nothing like a black pudding bap!

I tried to introduce my wife to black pudding as I thought she might like it....but :NoNo:

lastlid
15th August 2012, 21:12
I did wonder about the food colouring.....

And the more I think about it, the more I think cochineal :omg:

BoholoX
17th August 2012, 09:41
Lastlid

This was Robinsons yes?

lastlid
17th August 2012, 09:43
Lastlid

This was Robinsons yes?

Yes. In the freezer compartment. I saw some there last week, also.

Makes me laugh, Robinsons....sounds like the Filipino malls.

malditako
17th August 2012, 11:54
love tocino but without this colouring. I like it with tomato ...yummy!!!

gWaPito
17th August 2012, 12:21
Tocino...gotta be the closest thing to eating human flesh.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!.....I find it repulsive in the least.

Just my unbiased opinion :D

Happy weekend everybody :D

lastlid
17th August 2012, 12:25
Tocino...gotta be the closest thing to eating human flesh.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!.....I find it repulsive in the least.

Just my unbiased opinion :D

Happy weekend everybody :D

:D Why, exactly, do you say that?

gWaPito
17th August 2012, 14:00
:D Why, exactly, do you say that?

You gotta be having a laugh asking me that:icon_lol: The fact is its nearly all flesh..next to no lean meat...the only thing that makes it for most who eat the stuff is the stuff its soaked in....you could do that with anything....I bet you won't be seeing it in Marco P White's restaurant. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
17th August 2012, 14:06
You gotta be having a laugh asking me that:icon_lol: The fact is its nearly all flesh..next to no lean meat...the only thing that makes it for most who eat the stuff is the stuff its soaked in....you could do that with anything....I bet you won't be seeing it in Marco P White's restaurant. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Haven't you just described the content of a good old British sausage? :D

gWaPito
17th August 2012, 14:39
Haven't you just described the content of a good old British sausage? :D

The difference being ''the good old British sausage'' doesn't make me gag.

You wanna experience what mass killer Neilson went through munching his way through a raft of rent boys...sample some tocino ...you know it make sense :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
17th August 2012, 14:44
The difference being ''the good old British sausage'' doesn't make me gag.

You wanna experience what mass killer Neilson went through munching his way through a raft of rent boys...sample some tocino ...you know it make sense :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ah. But have you tried Pampangas Best?

gWaPito
17th August 2012, 15:15
Ah. But have you tried Pampangas Best?

The best huh :NoNo:...I didn't realize there were various degrees of flesh....or is it soaked in nectar fit for the Gods :rolleyes:

Honestly Lastlid, when my wife has cooked it in the past, and ive just got home my first reaction was to go check on the babies, the smell being that bad.

lastlid
17th August 2012, 15:27
The best huh :NoNo:...I didn't realize there were various degrees of flesh....or is it soaked in nectar fit for the Gods :rolleyes:

Honestly Lastlid, when my wife has cooked it in the past, and ive just got home my first reaction was to go check on the babies, the smell being that bad.

Interesting. I quite enjoyed it when I was in the Philippines. It came across as no different to some of the food we eat in the UK. But the cochineal puts me off. The Tocino we bought locally here wasn't so good, I admit....

By the way, with reference to your post above, if you eat any meat, then you eat flesh....

rhaichard
26th August 2012, 13:50
:Hellooo: me even though im filipina i love full english breakfast :icon_lol: but my hubby said if i ate that always i might have heart attack :smileybigtmouth::smileybigtmouth::smileybigtmouth::smileybigtmouth:

but i love TOCINO that is one of my favorite filipino dishes... and easy to cook :icon_lol: