PDA

View Full Version : People are Healthier by the Sea

lastlid
17th July 2012, 19:38
"People living on the English coast are more likely than those living inland to say they are fit and well, an analysis of census data suggests.

The researchers said living in areas such as Skegness, St Ives or Scarborough was linked to a "small, but significant" improvement in health.

Lower stress and more opportunities to exercise were suggested as possible explanations.

The findings were published in the journal Health and Place.

The researchers looked at data from 48 million people in England from the 2001 census. They compared how close people were to the bracing sea air and their answer to a question about their own health.

The study was conducted by the European Centre for Environment and Human Health at the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Exeter.

It found people living less than 1km from the sea were more likely to say they were in "good health" than people living further away."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18856680

Dedworth
17th July 2012, 19:39
Doc Alan lives in Scarborough - nuff said :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
17th July 2012, 19:43
But is it true? Or do we just think we are healthier by the sea?

I live less than 50 yards from the sea so I must be super healthy. :D

Terpe
17th July 2012, 20:41
I've always loved living near the ocean and so has my wife.
Most of our life together has been near the ocean.
Except now, where we are about as far away from the ocean as you could get.

It does make you feel healthier and less stressed imo.
Less stress was the key issue for me.

Our weekend in Scarborough did us the world of good in many ways!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
17th July 2012, 20:45
I've always loved living near the ocean and so has my wife.
Most of our life together has been near the ocean.
Except now, where we are about as far away from the ocean as you could get.

It does make you feel healthier and less stressed imo.
Less stress was the key issue for me.

Our weekend in Scarborough did us the world of good in many ways!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Perhaps it is the springwater there that does it?

Terpe
17th July 2012, 20:52
Well it certainly puts a spring in my water:D

lastlid
17th July 2012, 20:57
Well it certainly puts a spring in my water:D

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
17th July 2012, 22:01
I long to see out my days by the sea. Preferably not Skegness or anywhere else in the UK. I always feel healthier when I'm near the sea or in Rural Ireland where I have family. Aswell as the healthy air theres always the feeling that life goes at a slightly slower pace than South London, people seem to stop and talk to each other and smile and seem happier and less stressed.

Doc Alan
18th July 2012, 14:31
The article quoted by the BBC (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1353829212001220 ) cannot be viewed online unless $ 31.50 is paid. It is unfair that publicly funded research should only be accessible behind the paywalls of private publishing houses.
Most of the world's scientific journals are accessible only via subscription. That’s soon to change – all UK-funded research will be open access within two years.
For now, we have to rely on what the BBC chooses to report on the topic.
It appears this research project confirms what we already thought. It leaves questions unanswered, rather than shedding light on the topic. What about the Scottish, Welsh, Irish … or indeed the Philippines coast ? People living near the sea were more likely to “ say they were in “ good health “ than people living further away. “ How long had they lived near the sea ? How was their health before they moved ? Was there evidence that their health WAS better ? Common sense would suggest they were correct without a research project.
• Life expectancy is one measure of a population’s health. Average life expectancy in the UK is around 78 years for men and 82 years for women. It does vary -
much of the north west of England has a below average life expectancy ; Kensington and Chelsea have the higher life expectancies. If higher life expectancy could be shown for coastal towns that would be evidence they were healthier - I’m not aware of accurate figures for life expectancy in such English ( or other ) towns. There don’t appear to be outstandingly good or bad rates of cancers, heart disease, obesity, drug abuse or alcoholism in Scarborough. Many people retire here ( with pre-existing ailments ). Many young unemployed people choose to live here ( with pre-existing alcohol / drug habits ).
• 1. Scarborough was “ discovered “ as a health resort in the 17th century when spring water was thought to have health-giving properties, resulting in the Spa ( still in existence ). There is a notice next to the spring now warning “ Not suitable for drinking “. 2. A Royal Northern Sea Bathing Infirmary existed in the 19th and early 20th century. Here patients were “ relieved “, “ cured “, or “ died “ from a variety of ailments. In neither was there good evidence for the health claims.
• People quoted in the study – and forum members – DO feel “ healthier “. Those of you who came to Scarborough in June have made up their minds – you have another chance at “ Ricky R’s meeting “ here on August 10 :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

lastlid
18th July 2012, 18:38
I imagine that living in the Swiss Alps might also be healthy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
18th July 2012, 19:25
I imagine that living in the Swiss Alps might also be healthy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

In a previous life I lived in Annecy.(French Alps)

Unforgetable 3 years period in my life.( I had my heart broken there)
Nevertheless, so much more than the Swiss Alps has to offer imho

I moved from Annecy to Brescia in Italy and explored the Italian Alps (My heart was broken again)

What is it with these Alpine ladies :bigcry:

Terpe
18th July 2012, 19:37
................What is it with these Alpine ladies :bigcry:

I've found that ladies living near the ocean are much kinder, more down to earth and perhaps more honest in their feelings.
Personally I also find them to be more strong minded and independant.

No offence to anyone this is just my opinion from my life experience

lastlid
18th July 2012, 19:45
I've found that ladies living near the ocean are much kinder, more down to earth and perhaps more honest in their feelings.
Personally I also find them to be more strong minded and independant.

No offence to anyone this is just my opinion from my life experience

And the men?

Terpe
18th July 2012, 19:53
And the men?
I tended not to get so close to the men in Europe as Asia.
Unpredictable behaviour. Just like the weather :D

Doc Alan
18th July 2012, 22:19
I did give much thought and time before posting #9 trying to address the topic of this thread.

lastlid
18th July 2012, 22:40
I did give much thought and time before posting #9 trying to address the topic of this thread.

Yes. :xxgrinning--00xx3: All my life I lived in the city, inland, although I worked for most of it at sea. And as a rule many of us seem to associate being and living on the coast as leading to a healthier existence. By contrast my boss lives up in the hills and it is difficult to be certain which of the two existences is the healthier.

It is quite enjoyable on the coast here but it is always a significant few degrees cooler in the summer than inland which is annoying......