PDA

View Full Version : Fudding (Food & Pudding)

Liliput39
21st July 2007, 22:27
Is there any Filipino restaurant in the UK? Honestly, English people are missing out on our foods. Everytime I speak to someone about our food and how we cook them, I start salivating - torture:bigcry:

I can't cook Filipino food to save my life :Brick::Brick:, breadwinner back home and all that (excuses, excuses!!:Erm::Erm:) I have a Filipina friend where I used to live up in London, who's accused me of just befriending her because she can cook, and I can't :Brick: to which there is a hint of truth there - I was desperate :bigcry::bigcry:

We are thinking of going to the Philippines next year, so I will start writing down my list of food to eat. Gosh! I sound hungry - don't I? My husband does feed me, every now and then ha ha :BouncyHappy::icon_lol:.

andypaul
21st July 2007, 22:50
There are a few places in london two resturants in earls court and one over in charlotte street just by goodge st station.
Its debatable how good they are some people think they are not up to much others like them. But if its just for some basic phill foods in a phill like enviroment then they should be fine.

All three resturants seem to do buffets where you can eat as much as you can,they looked worried when i went up for my fourth or was it fifth time as most seem to go up once but to me that kind of defeats the object of a eat as much as you can buffet.

Liliput39
21st July 2007, 23:00
Offering buffett, but hoping customers will have smaller appetite eh?:D I do feel resentful when we have to go to chinese restaurant's that buffett, because unfortunately my eyes are bigger than my belly, and I wish I could go for seconds to get my money's worth (I sound really stingy there, didn't I?:Erm:)

Sounds a long way from where we live now though, these restaurants, perhaps I can convince my hubby to go there sometime. We live in the country now, Kent, moved from South East London in 2003. Cheers, anyway.

Liliput39
21st July 2007, 23:01
There are a few places in london two resturants in earls court and one over in charlotte street just by goodge st station.
Its debatable how good they are some people think they are not up to much others like them. But if its just for some basic phill foods in a phill like enviroment then they should be fine.

All three resturants seem to do buffets where you can eat as much as you can,they looked worried when i went up for my fourth or was it fifth time as most seem to go up once but to me that kind of defeats the object of a eat as much as you can buffet.

Offering buffett, but hoping customers will have smaller appetite eh?:D I do feel resentful when we have to go to chinese restaurant's that buffett, because unfortunately my eyes are bigger than my belly, and I wish I could go for seconds to get my money's worth (I sound really stingy there, didn't I?:Erm:)

Sounds a long way from where we live now though, these restaurants, perhaps I can convince my hubby to go there sometime. We live in the country now, Kent, moved from South East London in 2003. Cheers, anyway.

andypaul
21st July 2007, 23:15

Not sure where you are in kent but its only a train ride and a quick go on the tube form kent to all of them. The ones in earls court have phill food stores nearby so you can make an afternoon of it like many do.

bigtombowski
22nd July 2007, 02:02
There is a small filipino restaraunt here in belfast called "Mabuhay" . . .

I sometimes go there to get the adobo, although it's a bit pricey lol!

My gal loves "dinoldog" -- it's her favourite food . . .
and when i go there to the Philippines in December . . . i will be taking part in a

BALUT EATING COMPETITION!

lol!

Mrs Daddy
22nd July 2007, 07:59

and when i go there to the Philippines in December . . . i will be taking part in a

lol!

:doh have mercy on the baby chicken:NoNo:All of my life i`ve never tried Balut and am so proud of you,if your doing that:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shifty-Sidney
22nd July 2007, 08:11
I love Filli food, but i had to turn away at balut - i love chicken and boiled egss, but not at the same time lol.

bigtombowski
22nd July 2007, 11:19
haha!

i have this thing , , ,, if i go to a foreign country where the food is different, I have GOTTA try it! :D

I have been looking forward to eating balut for about a year now! lol! just 5 months to go! :D

tom

LadyJ
22nd July 2007, 12:17
haha!

i have this thing , , ,, if i go to a foreign country where the food is different, I have GOTTA try it! :D

I have been looking forward to eating balut for about a year now! lol! just 5 months to go! :D

tom

Just a tip Tom, close your eyes before you eat the balut (don't ever look what's inside) and make sure you have a fizzy drink ready! and expect some crunchy bits when you chew it!:icon_lol:

KeithD
22nd July 2007, 12:18
That beak can be hell to get out from between your teeth :cwm24:

bigtombowski
22nd July 2007, 12:36
haha!

i am looking forward to the audio-visual, multi-sensory and taste experience :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

andypaul
22nd July 2007, 14:04
Just a tip Tom, close your eyes before you eat the balut (don't ever look what's inside) and make sure you have a fizzy drink ready! and expect some crunchy bits when you chew it!:icon_lol:

Or be very drunk:Cuckoo:

Peanutz
22nd July 2007, 14:11

Listen to LadyJ Tom!
Close your eyes and be sure to ask someone to put salt or pepper in it...a bottle of San Miguel will do!!!

bigtombowski
22nd July 2007, 14:38
hey, pea, i'll be having a CRATE of SM! lol!

Peanutz
22nd July 2007, 14:43
hey, pea, i'll be having a CRATE of SM! lol!

Don't forget to share!!!:40__s::party-smiley-012::Beer:

bigtombowski
22nd July 2007, 14:46
most definately Ate Pea! :D

Liliput39
22nd July 2007, 17:02
hmm balut! It is funny though when I talk about it to English friends, they cringe - I wonder why?

I really miss our food, sometimes I make myself feel better by browsing the internet of Filipino recipes, but of course, coz I can't cook it is just gathering dust. I'm like I cook that, and that and that..........

Oh well! Can't have everything in this world:bigcry::bigcry:!!

andypaul
22nd July 2007, 18:07
hmm balut! It is funny though when I talk about it to English friends, they cringe - I wonder why?

I really miss our food, sometimes I make myself feel better by browsing the internet of Filipino recipes, but of course, coz I can't cook it is just gathering dust. I'm like I cook that, and that and that..........

Oh well! Can't have everything in this world:bigcry::bigcry:!!

Of course you can cook my Missus mate who has lived here for the quite a few years now had to get the Wife to show her how to cook some very basic foods. Now she is fine i guess sometimes its more a not having someone to make them with at first which is the problem.

But i think even i could have a bash at some dishes if you gave me a receipe book the ingredients and a gas mask to filter out the vinegar fumes.

Actually my Wife before she left and even when she went back to phill last, made lots of notes both mental and written ones on receipes and methods to cook foods she loves. Now with the add of skype and truphone she will go though the first run with her mum or a tita to make sure it goes smooth and off she goes.

For all you ladies yet to move over, who miss the home cooking its worth practising your favourites dishes before leaving, its what i did here in the UK before i moved out from home:xxgrinning--00xx3: but still had to go back to taste the real thing:D

My wife on her last trip back took many novel new foods back whch they loved such as bread and butter pudding, xmas pudding (which was the best recieved by far) and belive it or not butter chicken (which she learned the receipe from the local indian takeaway) If we ever go then when its rainy season the missus wants to cook them a roast dinner but thats not a great dish to prepare when its 36 all day:bigcry:

KeithD
22nd July 2007, 19:39
.....and a gas mask to filter out the vinegar fumes.

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

Liliput39
22nd July 2007, 21:28
Does anyone here miss 'daing' (dried salted fish) at all? I do, unfortunately, I can't really cook it anymore, otherwise I'll be ostracised by my neighbours.

My husband had bad but funny experience with daing, when some of my friends at the Kontiki Beach resort in Cebu, made him eat daing without explaining to him 'must dip it in vinegar and plenty of rice', my poor husband was traumatised!!:yikes::yikes: It was like my first time with marmite, no one told me to use just a little, so it was like toast soaked in soy sauce:doh

Just a thought, if you hate your neighbours who've been annoying, try and cook 'daing', that will make them go away. Then, you can always threaten them of cooking it if they start annoying you again. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:

andypaul
23rd July 2007, 19:50
Does anyone here miss 'daing' (dried salted fish) at all? I do, unfortunately, I can't really cook it anymore, otherwise I'll be ostracised by my neighbours.

My husband had bad but funny experience with daing, when some of my friends at the Kontiki Beach resort in Cebu, made him eat daing without explaining to him 'must dip it in vinegar and plenty of rice', my poor husband was traumatised!!:yikes::yikes: It was like my first time with marmite, no one told me to use just a little, so it was like toast soaked in soy sauce:doh

Just a thought, if you hate your neighbours who've been annoying, try and cook 'daing', that will make them go away. Then, you can always threaten them of cooking it if they start annoying you again. :cwm23::cwm23::cwm23:

My wife cooks alsorts of things which im sure have the dodgy smell police in tears ( we arrange it for days im out or have a heavy cold:icon_lol:)

But seriously you can buy dried fish in packs from many of the chinese food stores which are all over the place.

IainBusby
24th July 2007, 09:13
But seriously you can buy dried fish in packs from many of the chinese food stores which are all over the place.

My wife says she really misses the dried fish but I think if you buy it in packs from the Chinese food stores, it won't taste the same as the stuff you get from the markets in Phils; where it's just stacked up there and left exposed to the flies etc all day long. :Blacklistthatsucks: :action-smiley-082:

Iain.

Peanutz
24th July 2007, 09:14
My wife cooks alsorts of things which im sure have the dodgy smell police in tears ( we arrange it for days im out or have a heavy cold:icon_lol:)

I can only cook few filipino food sinigang, adobo and nilaga but I am an expert in Italian cuisine. I think I lured my husband to marry me because of my pasta and arrosto specialties:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 11:06
My wife says she really misses the dried fish but I think if you buy it in packs from the Chinese food stores, it won't taste the same as the stuff you get from the markets in Phils; where it's just stacked up there and left exposed to the flies etc all day long. :Blacklistthatsucks: :action-smiley-082:

Iain.

tell her to go to Wing Yip in Birmingham and you can get any filipino food u want

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 11:07
I can only cook few filipino food sinigang, adobo and nilaga but I am an expert in Italian cuisine. I think I lured my husband to marry me because of my pasta and arrosto specialties:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lucky man!
lol

IainBusby
24th July 2007, 11:19
tell her to go to Wing Yip in Birmingham and you can get any filipino food u want

Been to Wing Yip a few times, you still can't find it left exposed with flies buzzing all around it all day there.

andypaul
24th July 2007, 19:31

I doubt any phill food, as half couldn't be sold in the UK without breaking the food safety laws here:Help1:

Liliput39
24th July 2007, 22:08

Iain.

do you think it might have been the secret recipe why it's addictive:icon_lol:

Liliput39
24th July 2007, 22:11

lol!

It is a bit far for me to go!!!:Erm: Dinoldog, is that pumpkin in coconut juice?
Hmmm..........as Homer would say.:D

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 22:17
yep it's somthing like that lol

and ummmm

i can send some from belfast to you? ;) lol

how's that Ate Lil?

Liliput39
24th July 2007, 22:23
That would be very nice Tom, thank you:icon_lol: Please don't use Parcel Force, it might arrived here eaten:Cuckoo:

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 22:49
hahaha! ;)

i'll have it delivered attached to a pigeon Ate Lil!

Liliput39
24th July 2007, 23:06
what --------in a hanky? Where is your 'utok', by the time it gets here there will be no more coconut juice.......what is the point of dinuldog:NoNo:

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 23:38
haha

i thought u just ask me where is my "utot" lol ;)

haha

Liliput39
24th July 2007, 23:42
lol:icon_lol: don't be so rude:NoNo: - I don't know with young people nowadays:rolleyes:

bigtombowski
24th July 2007, 23:43
awww lol

hey, did u get the PM?

Liliput39
25th July 2007, 00:06
awww lol

hey, did u get the PM?

what - what? I am a bit thick tonight and still green so be gentle with jargons. I have been suffering from insomia, this is why I thought I'd join in here, perhaps I will meet some new friends from my sleep deprived state!!:cwm24:

I guess my avatar wasn't helping, if you've noticed I changed it to a different one as I was getting tired of hopping and looking like I've just taken my happy pill:cwm3::D

bigtombowski
25th July 2007, 00:20
i thought the other one was really cute hahaha

Peanutz
25th July 2007, 11:12
Is there any Filipino restaurant in the UK? Honestly, English people are missing out on our foods. Everytime I speak to someone about our food and how we cook them, I start salivating - torture:bigcry:

I can't cook Filipino food to save my life :Brick::Brick:, breadwinner back home and all that (excuses, excuses!!:Erm::Erm:) I have a Filipina friend where I used to live up in London, who's accused me of just befriending her because she can cook, and I can't :Brick: to which there is a hint of truth there - I was desperate :bigcry::bigcry:

We are thinking of going to the Philippines next year, so I will start writing down my list of food to eat. Gosh! I sound hungry - don't I? My husband does feed me, every now and then ha ha :BouncyHappy::icon_lol:.

Lilli while you are there in PI enjoying your vacation don't forget to eat these things for me:

1. Ginataang alimango sa dahon ng malunggay
2. Pritong tilapia sinawsaw sa kalamansi at toyo, ginataang tilapia
3. Binusaw na alimasag bagoong at manggang hilaw
4. Lumpiang ubod
5. Kare-kare na maraming gulay
6. Relyenong bangus at dinaing na bangus

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:Now I really miss eating this food!!!

LadyJ
25th July 2007, 12:04
Lilli while you are there in PI enjoying your vacation don't forget to eat these things for me:

4. Lumpiang ubod

Oh! Peanutz you made me hungry:cwm23:

I really missed those foods:bigcry:

cryingbaby
25th July 2007, 12:39
hey guys!!come visit our house..we got lots of filipino foods here.hehehe
my man appreciate oriental foods expecially filipino cuisine...i still cook filipino dishes even once a day....ive only been here six days..

cryingbaby
25th July 2007, 12:40
my man appreciate oriental foods expecially filipino cuisine...i still cook filipino dishes even once a day....ive only been here six days..

LadyJ
25th July 2007, 12:44
I love that cryingbaby! but it will take us about 2 hours 48 mins drive to get there :cwm3:

bigtombowski
25th July 2007, 20:39
it's worth it though :D

copyhardwick
25th July 2007, 21:13
hi there is a filipino restuarant owned and run by filipina in lakenheath village suffolk ,tez and i go every friday the food is first class, we also had our wedding reception there 14 july check it out its superb!!!

andypaul
25th July 2007, 21:19
hi there is a filipino restuarant owned and run by filipina in lakenheath village suffolk ,tez and i go every friday the food is first class, we also had our wedding reception there 14 july check it out its superb!!!

I think i saw a website for the resturant a few years back when searching all things phill here in the uk, looked real good although to far out of the smoke for us to vist. Good to hear its still doing ok:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Liliput39
25th July 2007, 23:00

4. Lumpiang ubod

Now that is really asking too much from me, isn't it???:Erm: They would not let me get back on the plane!!!!!!!!:cwm34: for I might have to pay for an extra seat.:omg:

Just reading your list is making me salivate and really hungry, I was born in Manila but had to live in Cebu (Lapu-Lapu City) for a while, so I have lots of food I miss. I miss palabok, all of the above food you mentioned - especially 4, 5 and 6, Kamungay, so on and so forth - don't really want to torture Lady
J's thoughts.:BouncyHappy:

Liliput39
25th July 2007, 23:03

Now where do you live???????? I could be your bestfriend:) Anyone who can cook Filipino food are potential best friends!!!!!!!!! :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

bigtombowski
25th July 2007, 23:21
haha! how shallow! hahahaha!

only kidding Ate Lili!

t

Liliput39
25th July 2007, 23:35
haha! how shallow! hahahaha!

only kidding Ate Lili!

t

Sorry was I that transparent???????:Erm::Erm::Erm:

bigtombowski
25th July 2007, 23:37
lol!

you're only in it for the grub, aren't you?!

LOL

Liliput39
25th July 2007, 23:40
lol!

you're only in it for the grub, aren't you?!

LOL

Welllllllllllllll, do I have to answer that?? Don't want to put off potential friends!:Erm::rolleyes:

bigtombowski
25th July 2007, 23:42
We were all hoping you'd make the food Ate Lil! You've disappointed us! LOL

aug06_2006
26th July 2007, 15:34
Hello there,

Just want to say thank u very much to the guy we met in Morrison he was the one who told us that where we can found the Asians Foods.

We are so grateful because finally we found it. Yesterday, we went to the 'Quality Super Store' we bought lots of foods like green mangga, camote, saging, bagoong, isda, mga gulay at iba pa. Unfortunately, they don't have green sampalok thats what i want hmmmmm! But it was still ok because they had sweet and salted sampalok candies. Happy!

Peanutz
26th July 2007, 16:26
Welllllllllllllll, do I have to answer that?? Don't want to put off potential friends!:Erm::rolleyes:

Lilli I candidate to be a friend. I can cook anything with a recipe book in my hands:D just provide the ingredients...:D:rolleyes:

bigtombowski
26th July 2007, 23:10
Ate Pea, I think Ate Lili wants u to provide the ingredients too . .. . and the taxi fare!

lol

only kidding!

t

Liliput39
28th July 2007, 16:24
Lilli I candidate to be a friend. I can cook anything with a recipe book in my hands:D just provide the ingredients...:D:rolleyes:

I am patient Pea, I can wait when you get here in England - when is it???? tomorrow, the following day????:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::23_111_9[1]::BouncyHappy::23_116_6[1]:

bigtombowski
28th July 2007, 16:26
hahahahaha!!!

gaga

Peanutz
29th July 2007, 12:09
I am patient Pea, I can wait when you get here in England - when is it???? tomorrow, the following day????:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::23_111_9[1]::BouncyHappy::23_116_6[1]:

Am still waiting for my visa!:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

I am expecting it to arrived one of these days...buhuhuhu:bigcry:still no sign of postman...:furious3::censored::cwm23:

I have never been so impatient, never been so bored and never been so restless like this in all my life, the visa thingy is KILLING ME!!!:bigcry:

:censored::furious3::cwm23::CompBuster::kngt::Wine::xxmixed-smiley-017::Hammer::BlueTeamEnforcer::angry:

I might send them an email tomorrow...:ARsurrender:

bigtombowski
29th July 2007, 12:14
oooh man :(

i hope it will come for you soon Ate P!

Liliput39
29th July 2007, 19:27
It will come to you soon Pnutz, but chase them as well to see what's happening. Red tape, i guess, is everywhere! The waiting game is always frustrating, especially when it envolves people and relationships. Waiting for a holiday to come is painful enough :rolleyes::rolleyes::bigcry:

Peanutz
29th July 2007, 23:50
It will come to you soon Pnutz, but chase them as well to see what's happening. Red tape, i guess, is everywhere! The waiting game is always frustrating, especially when it envolves people and relationships. Waiting for a holiday to come is painful enough :rolleyes::rolleyes::bigcry:

Bloody visa!:furious3::angry::cwm23:

Wait till I get there and the sun shine will come out again:D:D:D I've been saving them from here so I can bring you some sunshine there!:D:rolleyes:

bigtombowski
29th July 2007, 23:55
nutz. we're looking forward to your bringing a ray of sunshine to our kingdom!

Peanutz
30th July 2007, 00:02
nutz. we're looking forward to your bringing a ray of sunshine to our kingdom!

Aye my Highness! I am your humble servant, what makes you please is my aspiration...And sunshine I will bring to your beloved KINGDOM and I will be repaid of all your happy features:D:D:D

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 00:05
Aye my Highness! I am your humble servant,

so it IS true what they say about filipinas !! lol

Peanutz
30th July 2007, 00:08
so it IS true what they say about filipinas !! lol

UNDOUBTEDLY TRUE!:D:D:D

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 00:11
dang, it's true! wow!

im sorted!

I can quit my job, never cook again, have :Sex: whenever I the master wants it! WOW

WOW!

ooohhhh and then I wake up

and get a slap round the face from my asawa telling me "get to work na!"!

arrrh peanutz, it's nice to dream! :)

Peanutz
30th July 2007, 00:18
dang, it's true! wow!

im sorted!

I can quit my job, never cook again, have :Sex: whenever I the master wants it! WOW

WOW!

ooohhhh and then I wake up

and get a slap round the face from my asawa telling me "get to work na!"!

arrrh peanutz, it's nice to dream! :)

That is what dreams are for...live it as long it last:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 00:19
until the spousal visa is approved! lol! then i gotta learn how to work a vacuum and stuff!

Peanutz
30th July 2007, 00:25
until the spousal visa is approved! lol! then i gotta learn how to work a vacuum and stuff!

Don't forget the rice cooker and start to write down notes where you can buy all fil foods:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 00:28
i have already done the list of fil foods place -- i think "mabuhay" will take care of that (the fil restaraunt that doubles up as a grocery sari sari lol) . . .

as for the rice cooker -- £35 from the asia supermarket up the road :) and i know mrs pao the owner, so maybe get 25p discount . . .. maybe just maybe! LOL

Peanutz
30th July 2007, 00:32
i have already done the list of fil foods place -- i think "mabuhay" will take care of that (the fil restaraunt that doubles up as a grocery sari sari lol) . . .

as for the rice cooker -- £35 from the asia supermarket up the road :) and i know mrs pao the owner, so maybe get 25p discount . . .. maybe just maybe! LOL

Good job! You will be prepared when Mar come!!! :D

bigtombowski
30th July 2007, 00:36
definately :) and also, full outright ownership of a house within 15 min walking distance from city centre is very useful indeed :D

andypaul
31st July 2007, 18:34

A vaccum the missus will have you tilling the floor and then getting the broom thingys which double up for whacking you if you eat the last balut ( no danger of me getting a whack then :icon_lol:)

bigtombowski
31st July 2007, 20:29
andy - I ENJOY the whacks :D

andypaul
31st July 2007, 22:14
andy - I ENJOY the whacks :D

Not sure whats more kinky enjoying whacks or balut:Erm:

bigtombowski
31st July 2007, 22:35
enjoying the whacks whilst eating balut :D:D