PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for you Doc

Ako Si Jamie
14th July 2012, 22:55
I had an ingrowing toe-nail on my big toe several years back and had the nail cut in a way so it wouldn't cause me problems in the future.

I've never had any pain since, until last month but only for a few days. It felt like the pain you get with an ingrowing toe-nail but the nail was fine.

Anyway, I changed from leather shoes to suede ones and the pain went.

Could it be a bout of gout? I also had a dull ache on the top of the same toe too.

lastlid
14th July 2012, 22:59
I had mine done too. Big toe, right foot. But they said there was no guarantee that it wouldnt come back at some time in the future. Quite common with offshore rig workers in steel toe cap boots apparently.

Ako Si Jamie
14th July 2012, 23:03
Hurts like hell if you stub it :yikes:

lastlid
14th July 2012, 23:05
Hurts like hell if you stub it :yikes:

Yes, exactly. Strangely, the one I had done is starting to hurt again, and the other big toe. I had mine done about 15 years ago. And it has been okay till recently.

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 23:13
I spent most of my life in steely's but never suffer with bad toes. But feet are funny things :Rasp:

lastlid
14th July 2012, 23:27
I spent most of my life in steely's but never suffer with bad toes. But feet are funny things :Rasp:

Certainly are. I spent most of my life in them and for most of that time my feet were okay. But I did get the one bad toe, which my GP and various rig medics attributed to rig work. But who knows what the cause was. I just went by what the experts told me. Why I now have 2 bad toes is a mystery too, but I have contracted a bad case of foot toenail fungus, :icon_lol: which with medicine is now going away, but appears to be leaving me with ingrowing toe nail problems again....:icon_lol:

I have been on one toenail tablet a day since before christmas....

mickcant
15th July 2012, 09:09
I am lucky that I have had no feet problems even though I have been on them for 68 years:Cuckoo:
Mick.:)

Doc Alan
15th July 2012, 09:23
The thread is more like “ three for me “ :) and please remember I’m not a GP, so can’t give specific diagnoses for individual members. However, my comments on the three conditions mentioned :-

• An ingrown toenail occurs when the sides of the nail grow into the skin, causing inflammation. It can be caused by cutting nails too short or on the edges, tight fitting shoes, excessive sweating, injury, or fungal nail infection. Self-care measures may be sufficient, but the chiropodist ( podiatrist ) or GP may recommend partial nail removal which is very effective, or occasionally complete removal.
• Gout is a type of arthritis, caused by a build up of uric acid in the blood and deposition of crystals or “ tophi “ ( sodium urate ) in the joints. The joint of the big toe is commonly affected and it results in SEVERE pain, swelling and redness. It can run in families, is commoner in men - risk factors include wrong diet, alcohol excess, obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. See your GP if you’re worried – a blood test will confirm, and effective drug treatment is available.
• Fungal nail infection is common, especially in toenails, which become thickened and discoloured, but it’s not usually painful. It can be associated with “ athlete’s foot “. Often it’s the result of poor foot hygiene such as wearing shoes causing hot and sweaty feet, or inadequate drying after bathing. Treatment might not be needed if it’s mild, apart from regular cutting of nails and good foot hygiene, and local treatment of athlete’s foot with over-the-counter remedies. If it’s marked, the GP needs to send nail clippings to the laboratory for confirmation, then either antifungal tablets or nail paints may be prescribed. Tablets are more effective as the treatment reaches the nail through the bloodstream ( but there are occasional side effects ). A prescribed nail paint needs to be taken every 3-4 days for at least 9 months, as the toenails grow very slowly.

Doc Alan
15th July 2012, 09:23
The thread is more like “ three for me “ :) and please remember I’m not a GP, so can’t give specific diagnoses for individual members. However, my comments on the three conditions mentioned :-

• An ingrown toenail occurs when the sides of the nail grow into the skin, causing inflammation. It can be caused by cutting nails too short or on the edges, tight fitting shoes, excessive sweating, injury, or fungal nail infection. Self-care measures may be sufficient, but the chiropodist ( podiatrist ) or GP may recommend partial nail removal which is very effective, or occasionally complete removal.
• Gout is a type of arthritis, caused by a build up of uric acid in the blood and deposition of crystals or “ tophi “ ( sodium urate ) in the joints. The joint of the big toe is commonly affected and it results in SEVERE pain, swelling and redness. It can run in families, is commoner in men - risk factors include wrong diet, alcohol excess, obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. See your GP if you’re worried – a blood test will confirm, and effective drug treatment is available.
• Fungal nail infection is common, especially in toenails, which become thickened and discoloured, but it’s not usually painful. It can be associated with “ athlete’s foot “. Often it’s the result of poor foot hygiene such as wearing shoes causing hot and sweaty feet, or inadequate drying after bathing. Treatment might not be needed if it’s mild, apart from regular cutting of nails, good foot hygiene, and local treatment of athlete’s foot with over-the-counter remedies. If it’s marked, the GP needs to send nail clippings to the laboratory for confirmation, then either antifungal tablets or nail paints may be prescribed. Tablets are more effective as the treatment reaches the nail through the bloodstream ( but there are occasional side effects ). A prescribed nail paint needs to be taken every 3-4 days for at least 9 months, as the toenails grow very slowly.

Ako Si Jamie
15th July 2012, 11:17
Doesn't look like it's gout then.

Steve.r
15th July 2012, 11:27
Nothng wrong with my toes:omg: :D

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC05730.jpg

Doc Alan
15th July 2012, 12:48
Nothng wrong with my toes:omg: :D

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC05730.jpg
Maybe not Steve, but the landlord in a Glasgow pub might say " GOUT " ... meaning Get Out :icon_lol::icon_lol:.

Steve.r
15th July 2012, 13:50
:laugher:

lastlid
15th July 2012, 23:03

• Fungal nail infection is common, especially in toenails, which become thickened and discoloured, but it’s not usually painful. It can be associated with “ athlete’s foot “. Often it’s the result of poor foot hygiene such as wearing shoes causing hot and sweaty feet, or inadequate drying after bathing. Treatment might not be needed if it’s mild, apart from regular cutting of nails, good foot hygiene, and local treatment of athlete’s foot with over-the-counter remedies. If it’s marked, the GP needs to send nail clippings to the laboratory for confirmation, then either antifungal tablets or nail paints may be prescribed. Tablets are more effective as the treatment reaches the nail through the bloodstream ( but there are occasional side effects ). A prescribed nail paint needs to be taken every 3-4 days for at least 9 months, as the toenails grow very slowly.

Yes. I tried the nail paint. What a pain that was. And gave up. As an alternative, the tablets seem to be working but it is a slow process.

lastlid
15th July 2012, 23:05
I worked with a bloke who had the fungal infection on his finger nails. He used to have to paint the said stuff on everyday.