PDA

View Full Version : Airport question

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2012, 18:22
Just say for example I booked a flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong and also from Hong Kong to the Phils but with a different airline and had to pick my luggage up at HK.

How would I get to the check in desk at HK from the baggage carousel?

I take it there's a way because I'd have to go through immigration otherwise.

I'm asking because I've never done it this way before.

grahamw48
13th July 2012, 18:30
I only helped build the place...and took part in the promotional video for the opening. :)

KeithD
13th July 2012, 18:42
Some airlines may book your luggage all the way through, although due to security these days that rarely happens, so you need to collect your baggage, check-in, and go through the security/immigration again so you may as well have a night in HK :).

Terpe
13th July 2012, 18:45
Just say for example I booked a flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong and also from Hong Kong to the Phils but with a different airline and had to pick my luggage up at HK.

How would I get to the check in desk at HK from the baggage carousel?

I take it there's a way because I'd have to go through immigration otherwise.

I'm asking because I've never done it this way before.

You need to pass through immigration then go to departures and check in.
There's no other way to pick up you bags other than through immigration.
Never been a problem for us.
Just be sure you have enough 'stopover' time to do it, or stay over in HK

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2012, 18:46
Some airlines may book your luggage all the way through, although due to security these days that rarely happens, so you need to collect your baggage, check-in, and go through the security/immigration again so you may as well have a night in HK :).
So it's like entering the Phils? No visa needed, just the immigration form to fill in?

CBM
13th July 2012, 19:25
If you hold a British passport you can stay in HK for 6 months without a visa.

If you hold a Philppines passport, you can stay for, I think, a fortnight with no visa.

If you do decide to take a break in HK, take the Airport Express into town and buy their tourist ticket (HK$300) which gives you a trip into Central and back to the airport and unlimited use of public transport for three days.

As an ex-resident I will naturally urge you to take a day or two there, but the airport is very efficient and if you allow a reasonable transfer time (say 2-3 hours) you will be fine. There is free wifi in the terminal if you run out of duty free shops.

One airline combination to be careful of is Virgin / PAL - they will check your bags straight through, which is good, but they use opposite ends of the very very long terminal building!( Don't ask me how I know that!)

gWaPito
13th July 2012, 19:33
Jamie, my wife and I did it coming back here December 2009...really simple...very helpful place..and organised!..u wont go wrong

Jamesey
13th July 2012, 20:08
I've done it many times with no problems at all.

Hk Airport is efficient so you won't get stuck in long queues for immigration or at the baggage carousel. Don't forget to have a look at the great architecture and engineering on show too! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
13th July 2012, 20:18
We used to take Oasis from London to HK then either Cathay or Cebu Pacific to Manila.
Cheap too :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Until Oasis went bust :D

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2012, 20:32
Thanks all :xxgrinning--00xx3: