PDA

View Full Version : Shave your beard off or no Job, unless your names Mohammed

bigmarco
13th July 2012, 07:13
Ridiculous tratment of an applicant for a job as car washer and occasional driver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-18811644

Dedworth
13th July 2012, 07:42
Laughable - I'll make a mental note not to use Enterprise if I'm after hiring a car or van

imagine
13th July 2012, 11:03
ridiculas, the guys beard looks smart and tidy , :NoNo:

Steve.r
13th July 2012, 11:17
What a joke :cwm23:

grahamw48
13th July 2012, 11:37
No wonder the country is going bust with fools like these running companies. :NoNo:

RickyR
13th July 2012, 11:47
As a Military Officer for a Middle Eastern country, all military personnel (includes police, navy, army, air force and various other parties including my squadron), are required to be clean shaven. 99% personnel are Muslims, yet this seems to be no problem to them.
So I don't get where the religious issues come from in the UK about not removing a beard.

I do think it looks more professional for certain positions, although I wouldn't include driving rental cars as being one of those.

imagine
13th July 2012, 11:55
its beard discrimination:olddude: :icon_lol:

grahamw48
13th July 2012, 12:05
Maybe Richard Branson should buy the company and sack the lot of them.

I've been in 'customer service' for over 40 years and I have never heard such discriminatory nonsense.

There is a big difference between having a beard and looking like a scruff.

Terpe
13th July 2012, 12:34
I worked for an American company for a long time and mostly sported a 'beard of sorts' . More of a stubble really, during that time they had a policy that restricted beards to a maximum 3mm length if you had a customer facing role. Also no visible tattoo or body piercing.

CBM
13th July 2012, 12:52
For a diver, a pilot, a shipyard painter or anyone else who may have to wear a close fitting face mask, its reasonable. This is unreasonable.

Arthur Little
13th July 2012, 13:02
Away back in the 1970s, :rolleyes: I applied for an Executive Officer post with the Countryside Commission for Scotland, a few miles north of Perth - and gave my then minister's name as a referee.

About a week before my interview for the job, the Reverend gentleman approached me at a Boys' Brigade Coffee Morning in the Church Hall. "Arthur", he said, "I've given you a good reference ... but, a word of advice :poke: ... go along to your interview clean shaven ... it looks more businesslike ... know what I mean!?"

Accordingly ... I complied with this - no doubt, well-intended - exhortation, and did as I was bidden.

Imagine my surprise :cwm24: to find that the Chairman of the Interview Panel turned out to be almost the "double" of actor, Brian Blessed. And I'm sure most Brits are familiar with what he looks like from his many television appearances. :yikes:

Didn't get the job, incidentally! :NoNo: