PDA

View Full Version : Families need £36,800 to live acceptably, study says

lastlid
10th July 2012, 06:35
In the light of the new minimum income thresholds....

"A couple with two children now need to earn £36,800 a year to have a "socially acceptable" standard of living, an anti-poverty charity says.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation said its annual minimum income study suggests families must earn a third more than in 2008, to live within social norms.

Rising childcare and transport costs, combined with cuts to benefits, have hit families hard, it added.

The government said it was committed to helping the UK's "most vulnerable".

The minimum income standard (MIS) study - commissioned by the charity from the social policy research unit at Loughborough University - suggests a rising number of UK people live below what the public believes is an acceptable standard of living.

This MIS standard includes earning enough to eat a balanced diet, running a car and heating the home.

Researchers questioned 21 focus groups made up of working families, pensioners and single people of working age.

A couple with two children were said to need to earn a minimum of £18,400 a year each before tax; single people £16,400 a year, while the figure for lone parent with one child is £23,900 and a pensioner couple £12,000 each."

"The study said families are being hit hard by a "dangerous cocktail" of rising costs and cuts in three main areas:

Childcare: Minimum costs have risen by nearly a third since 2008

Travel: Bus fares have doubled since the late 1990s which when combined with cuts to public transport, means families with children now deem a car as an essential item

Benefit cuts have increased earning requirements substantially, cancelling out the benefit of higher income tax thresholds

JRF chief executive Julia Unwin said families faced a "monumental task" to earn enough to get by.

"Parents facing low wages and pressure on their working time have little prospect of finding the extra money they need to meet growing household expenses.

"Many working people face the risk of sliding into poverty. It illustrates how anti-poverty measures are needed to address not just people's incomes but also the costs that they face."

The research also states that the level of Universal Credit - the government's new benefits system being brought in January 2013 - will strongly influence the ability of households to reach MIS."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18770783

andy222
10th July 2012, 07:26
Its all a load of crap. Every individual is different and has different requirements. None of the polls or surveys are accurate. They just put fuel on the flames.

lastlid
10th July 2012, 07:32
You are right. It is too generalised to be completely meaningful.

grahamw48
10th July 2012, 13:30
'Childcare' ?'

How about caring for your own bloody kids ?

Some of these 'social norms' are also contributing to the breakdown of family and community values, as well as producing obese foul-mouthed brats, often as debt-ridden as their parent/s before they've even left home...all IMHO.

Oh, but it's all in the interests of parents realising THEIR full potential isn't it....that's if they can even manage to keep their marriage together for more than a couple of years. :NoNo:

Maybe going to church wasn't such a bad idea after all.

stevewool
10th July 2012, 17:11
watch out the £18000+ figure to bring your wife here seems small compared to this figure, £36000+ what utter rubbish, if i was on that i could save £31000 of that

andy222
10th July 2012, 18:22
'Childcare' ?'

Some of these 'social norms' are also contributing to the breakdown of family and community values, as well as producing obese foul-mouthed brats, often as debt-ridden as their parent/s before they've even left home...all IMHO.

Oh, but it's all in the interests of parents realising THEIR full potential isn't it....that's if they can even manage to keep their marriage together for more than a couple of years. :NoNo:

Maybe going to church wasn't such a bad idea after all.

I would love the chance to care for my stepchild in my own country but the government said I dont earn enough. Baring in mind I have already cared for 2 kids of my own and they had everything they wanted.:yikes:

Iani
10th July 2012, 19:34
One word for that - begins with "b", rhymes with "scallops".

The thing is, these so called surveys, they presume going on vacation twice a year to the Seychelles, and a new car every 2 years, and a mortgage within the M25.

I know it shouldn't, but all it does this sort of thing is upset me, making me feel almost a failure because I'm not earning so much.

Yes, there are reasons I didn't do as well as I could have done, I wasn't pushy enough to go for what I really wanted to do, but I don't think I've done THAT bad.

stevewool
10th July 2012, 19:41
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: if you are happy with what you have, then there is nothing else you want, i have had no pay rise for 4 years but i am happy with what i have, i save, i have a car, house, holidays, dont get upset with these surveys, as you say scallops to the lot of them

grahamw48
10th July 2012, 21:32
After the divorce I may not have as much materially compared to before, but everything in my house is paid for and I don't owe anyone a penny. No credit cards and no overdraft.

That'll do me for now.

sars_notd_virus
11th July 2012, 11:42
Families need £36,800 to live acceptably, study says

I think the people in DOLE can afford that,...whats the point ??

Arthur Little
11th July 2012, 12:31
'Childcare' ?'

Quite ... :iagree:!

Arthur Little
11th July 2012, 12:43

:yeahthat: is, at best, a gross exaggeration ... and, at worst, nothing more than a load of old codswallop. Married couples - without kids - can live comfortably on much less than half of that amount.

I speak from experience. ;)

Arthur Little
11th July 2012, 12:50
"There are lies ... damned lies ... and statistics" immediately springs to mind! :doh

gWaPito
11th July 2012, 15:50

:yeahthat: is, at best, a gross exaggeration ... and, at worst, nothing more than a load of old codswallop. Married couples - without kids - can live comfortably on much less than half of that amount.

I speak from experience. ;)
It all depends on how you cut your cloth...one man's comfort zone could be anothers utter poverty

Lets not tar everyone with the same brush :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As for child care...£ 40 per day per child is the cheapest...we dont qualify for the 70% funding from the goverment for childcare as many do.

Needless to say, we wont be using that service.