PDA

View Full Version : Jobs that earn £18,600 or more:

Nick30
8th July 2012, 21:24
Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more. I'm very good with computers and got a Btec 10 years ago and I did graphic designing so I heard that a web developer could earn this amount and you could work from home too.
Could you earn thousands by working from home?
What if you get paid £300 a month? You could be more than £20,000 by the end of the year.
Just thinking what to do to bring my mahal here if we marry in the future :)

grahamw48
8th July 2012, 21:43
Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more. I'm very good with computers and got a Btec 10 years ago and I did graphic designing so I heard that a web developer could earn this amount and you could work from home too.
Could you earn thousands by working from home?
What if you get paid £300 a month? You could be more than £20,000 by the end of the year.
Just thinking what to do to bring my mahal here if we marry in the future :)

£300 a month = £3600 for a whole year. :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
8th July 2012, 22:06
To earn 20k you need to be earning around £400 p/w :xxgrinning--00xx3:

WhiteBloodAda
8th July 2012, 22:09
Was having a good look on some job sites yesterday actually, and all that is available that is over £19k are managerial or high status positions which require experience. Having worked in a non managerial role in retail for my 10 year working life, I can safely say I am buggered! Roll on the expected fight!

Ako Si Jamie
8th July 2012, 22:16
Was having a good look on some job sites yesterday actually, and all that is available that is over £19k are managerial or high status positions which require experience. Having worked in a non managerial role in retail for my 10 year working life, I can safely say I am buggered! Roll on the expected fight!
19k for all that responsibility & stress? :yikes:

I got 10k more for delivering passports.

bigmarco
8th July 2012, 22:18
What do you do at the moment Nic and how far short of the Threshold are you. There are a few ways round it depending on your current circumstances.

sars_notd_virus
8th July 2012, 22:28
Just an idea to ask about what jobs you could apply for that earn this amount or more.

I think in our sort of environment only ''full time'' jobs can earn £18,600 per annum

Nick30
8th July 2012, 22:28
I work as a classroom assistant at a special needs school. I wonder what the few ways would mean on my current circumstance?

bigmarco
8th July 2012, 22:32
Depending how far short of the threshold you are you might like to consider some additional part time work to get you above it. Lets face it desperate times call for desperate measures.

Nick30
8th July 2012, 22:38
I see. Yes you're right there marco.

grahamw48
8th July 2012, 22:52
Door-knocking can earn you quite good money.

The canvasser I used to employ could clear £500 a week in his hand for maybe 4 hours work a day. :)

zaxy
9th July 2012, 08:46
I heard from someone at work if you have 2 job you get taxed more or somthing so no matter how hard you work still might have problems getting income high enough to bring your wife.

I'm doing care work and only part time very hard to find full time work as i cant drive so im currently learning lol

andy222
9th July 2012, 09:12
What do you do at the moment Nic and how far short of the Threshold are you. There are a few ways round it depending on your current circumstances.

The government rules are so confusing. What exactly do they mean earn income of £18600?
I have said before in my situation I work in a team that operates 24/7 so I am contracted to work unsociable hours. However the government can argue that my unsociable hours are not guaranteed. Obviously for working weekends I earn more money. On top of this I get mileage allowance. i.e every mile I travel in the community I get fuel allowance. Does this count towards my annual earnings? On top of this I get a monthly car maintenance allowance. (Does this count as part of my income)?. Because of my contract there is no way I can get part time work as I work variable shifts.

Terpe
9th July 2012, 09:14
I heard from someone at work if you have 2 job you get taxed more or somthing so no matter how hard you work still might have problems getting income high enough to bring your wife.

I'm doing care work and only part time very hard to find full time work as i cant drive so im currently learning lol

You can have as many jobs as you want.
You pay tax on your earnings above your personal allowances.

Income Tax - the basics (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/basics.htm)

It's important to understand you tax position.

Anyway, the UKBA income threshold is £18600 gross income. Means all income before any deduction of tax etc.

joebloggs
9th July 2012, 11:03
i think UKBA will check with the Taxman as many gov departments share information, just to make sure you have paid the amount of tax you should be paying for the wage you claim you earn :rolleyes:

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 12:09
Not sure about that Joe.

They're not THAT organised yet. :rolleyes:

It will be on your payslips anyway....which you WILL have to submit, or books/p60 if self-employed.

cheekee
9th July 2012, 12:48
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I am new to all this. I need to learn. I work as a nurse so I need to earn over £18600 to be able to get my Filipino wife here ?

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 12:50
In a word...yes.

Gross income.

cheekee
9th July 2012, 13:13
Thank you. I hope things get sorted for you.

joebloggs
9th July 2012, 13:34
Not sure about that Joe.

They're not THAT organised yet. :rolleyes:

It will be on your payslips anyway....which you WILL have to submit, or books/p60 if self-employed.

i think so, the inland revenue use credit reference agencies. as i found out when they asked me about a loan i had :yikes: for checking my Id.

stevewool
9th July 2012, 13:38
i wonder what happens when you got no mortgage no bills no debt at all, so you work less so less income, how do you stand on that, no £18000+ but lots of spare cash

Bluebirdjones
9th July 2012, 13:57
i wonder what happens when you got no mortgage no bills no debt at all, so you work less so less income, how do you stand on that, no £18000+ but lots of spare cash

Exactly !

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 14:32
You are dealing with civil servants and a form with tick boxes.

If they were a credit company things would be different, but they're not.

Trefor
9th July 2012, 16:29
one thing to remember with any extra work, make sure it is recorded so the pencil pushers can see you have a regular income (probably means a taxed income, sigh).

To get a good income in this field is very possible, but it will take a bit of time especially as you may need training/certification. Remember, experience/references and networking are what get you jobs in any field. You will probably find you excel in one area of IT. Technical support or similar might be a good place to start if you're a techie, or marketing/product manager if you're more creative. Either way, in 5-10 years you should be able to progress to the 40% tax bracket. Oh, you may need to move to get a job too - all these things take effort and commitment. But of course the love of your life is worth it!!!

cheekee
9th July 2012, 17:02
Will a salary of £28000 Be sufficient ?

That's what I earn as a nurse. I do extra shifts so its a bit more.

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 17:15
Yes, more than enough. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheekee
9th July 2012, 17:17
Thank you.

This is a minefield and I just want to make sure I can do everything I can. Thanks

Terpe
9th July 2012, 17:17
Will a salary of £28000 Be sufficient ?

That's what I earn as a nurse. I do extra shifts so its a bit more.

Just on income threshold UKBA require a minimum gross of £18600 for a couple with no children.
Anything equal to or above that amount will mean that a settlement visa application is compliant for the finance test.
All other requirements will need to be compliant before a settlement visa can be granted.

Terpe
9th July 2012, 17:21
i think so, the inland revenue use credit reference agencies. as i found out when they asked me about a loan i had :yikes: for checking my Id.

HMRC can certainly verify income.
The basis of the whole new system they recently installed is based on the individual rather than different databases of employers/income sources.

Iani
9th July 2012, 18:40
The government rules are so confusing. What exactly do they mean earn income of £18600?
I have said before in my situation I work in a team that operates 24/7 so I am contracted to work unsociable hours. However the government can argue that my unsociable hours are not guaranteed. Obviously for working weekends I earn more money. On top of this I get mileage allowance. i.e every mile I travel in the community I get fuel allowance. Does this count towards my annual earnings? On top of this I get a monthly car maintenance allowance. (Does this count as part of my income)?. Because of my contract there is no way I can get part time work as I work variable shifts.

Right Andy, and anyone else it might help - but don't go by my word, I'm not an expert and my vision is pretty clouded by fury on this.

I've been reading and reading the guidance on the UKBA site, and the scenarios, and there are a few ways of meeting this - in fact this is about the only part they have been anything like "fair" - they could have said pure base income and nothing else, but they haven't.

So -

1. - The simplest one - earn £18,600 or more a year before deductions. Simple and it's on your P60.

2. - Earn £18,600 in one tax year, can include overtime, can include a hundred jobs, as long as they add up to a pre tax income of £18,600 in that year - again, it will be on your P60, or you might need to just produce wage slips to add up to this.

3. - Have a shedload of savings over £16,000 to make up the shortfall - anything over £16,000 can be counted as income apparently. Hmmm, weird.

4. - You don't even have to have a year of income, if for the last 6 months your income would lead to a yearly income of £18,600, this will do - so yes, you could work overtime or get a part time job for those 6 months. Seriously, yes it's barmy as overtime isn't guaranteed, but they count it - so lets be thankful there hehe

5. - Another way of having £18,600 a year - if for example you had a P60 showing £17,000, but then in one month you earned £1600 in overtime, well that would be enough - you have earned that amount - submit the relevant wage slips.

As I said, this is what the scenarios state, it's not my interpretation, it's all there.

On the other hand, you do have to have been earning that amount which will add up to £18,600 for the magic 6 months. Doesn't matter if you suddenly get a job paying a thousand pounds a week - you have to have been doing it for 6 months.

Hope this maybe helps someone.

Oh and I'm currently enquiring with my mp if benefits in kind can be counted as income. I'm not expecting a reply soon as she's notoriously slow to reply to things, but I even spoke to her a couple of days ago about it - we can see, but let's not get hopes up too much on that.

lastlid
9th July 2012, 18:40

I reckon they will just go on your last 6 payslips or your P60. So if you are in a run of 6 months when you are doing lots of overtime etc etc they will take that as is. Its your gross income that counts and not how you earn it. IMHO.

lastlid
9th July 2012, 18:41
Right Andy, and anyone else it might help - but don't go by my word, I'm not an expert and my vision is pretty clouded by fury on this.

I've been reading and reading the guidance on the UKBA site, and the scenarios, and there are a few ways of meeting this - in fact this is about the only part they have been anything like "fair" - they could have said pure base income and nothing else, but they haven't.

So -

1. - The simplest one - earn £18,600 or more a year before deductions. Simple and it's on your P60.

2. - Earn £18,600 in one tax year, can include overtime, can include a hundred jobs, as long as they add up to a pre tax income of £18,600 in that year - again, it will be on your P60, or you might need to just produce wage slips to add up to this.

3. - Have a shedload of savings over £16,000 to make up the shortfall - anything over £16,000 can be counted as income apparently. Hmmm, weird.

4. - You don't even have to have a year of income, if for the last 6 months your income would lead to a yearly income of £18,600, this will do - so yes, you could work overtime or get a part time job for those 6 months.

5. - Another way of having £18,600 a year - if for example you had a P60 showing £17,000, but then in one month you earned £1600 in overtime, well that would be enough - you have earned that amount - submit the relevant wage slips.

As I said, this is what the scenarios state, it's not my interpretation, it's all there.

On the other hand, you do have to have been earning that amount which will add up to £18,600 for the magic 6 months. Doesn't matter if you suddenly get a job paying a thousand pounds a week - you have to have been doing it for 6 months.

Hope this maybe helps someone.

Oh and I'm currently enquiring with my mp if benefits in kind can be counted as income. I'm not expecting a reply soon as she's notoriously slow to reply to things, but I even spoke to her a couple of days ago about it - we can see, but let's not get hopes up too much on that.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

And good luck with the benefits in kind query.

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 18:53
If they are as cunning as I suspect, they will require a letter or contract of employment showing that your BASIC wage is a minimum £18,600 per annum (if there is to be just you and your partner).

lastlid
9th July 2012, 18:56

Andy. Do you pay tax on any of your allowances or benefits? If so then I would strive to have the allowances added to your income ( from the point of view of the application ) if they aren't already. I think this is worth following up......

lastlid
9th July 2012, 18:58
If they are as cunning as I suspect, they will require a letter or contract of employment showing that your BASIC wage is a minimum £18,600 per annum (if there is to be just you and your partner).

I worked for 23 years where my basic wage was about 50% of my yearly salary. Whenever I went for a mortgage they took my gross income and not my basic salary.

Iani
9th July 2012, 18:59

Nah, don't worry - they're not.
They do want a letter saying you're employed, but as for the income, they just want the wage slips.

And yes, I'm a bit surprised the :censored: 'ds don't try that

grahamw48
9th July 2012, 19:02
Nah, don't worry - they're not.
They do want a letter saying you're employed, but as for the income, they just want the wage slips.

And yes, I'm a bit surprised the :censored: 'ds don't try that

Oops...hope they're not reading this. :doh

Iani
9th July 2012, 19:03
Andy. Do you pay tax on any of your allowances or benefits? If so then I would strive to have the allowances added to your income ( from the point of view of the application ) if they aren't already. I think this is worth following up......

Benefits in kind are classed as an income for tax reasons. You can imagine what a loophole it would be if they weren't.
If Andy's allowances are classed as a benefit in kind, then he will pay tax, and it will be declared on the P11 - along with a "value" of those benefits.

Makes it frankly a bit sickening if it isn't classed as income, because many companies class their benefits in kind as part of the overall wage package :NoNo:
There's no such thing as a free lunch, they don't give them for nothing.

Not all benefits though are taxed as income, such as car parking IIRC. I suspect fuel allowance and car maintenance isn't classed as a benefit, and more reimbursement. I really hope I'm wrong on that and it could help Andy, but......well time will tell

Iani
9th July 2012, 19:05
Oops...hope they're not reading this. :doh

Mods feel free to delete :icon_lol:

In all seriousness, there are some things I won't talk about on here, and I have often deleted postings before I posted, after realising it is read "outside", as many parts you don't have to be a member to read.

Sometimes perhaps we should be that bit careful :Cuckoo:

lastlid
9th July 2012, 19:08
Benefits in kind are classed as an income for tax reasons. You can imagine what a loophole it would be if they weren't.
If Andy's allowances are classed as a benefit in kind, then he will pay tax, and it will be declared on the P11 - along with a "value" of those benefits.

Makes it frankly a bit sickening if it isn't classed as income, because many companies class their benefits in kind as part of the overall wage package :NoNo:
There's no such thing as a free lunch, they don't give them for nothing.

Not all benefits though are taxed as income, such as car parking IIRC. I suspect fuel allowance and car maintenance isn't classed as a benefit, and more reimbursement. I really hope I'm wrong on that and it could help Andy, but......well time will tell

You may well be right, but I would say don't close the door on the benefits thing. Like I said a few days ago, I had my travel to work paid for, for donkeys years, food at work and laundry etc. That surely has to be seen as an addition to ones income.

And for example, in Norway, they tax the rig workers on their food etc at the rig site, for example. So an argument for including benefits could be made.....

Iani
9th July 2012, 19:17
You may well be right, but I would say don't close the door on the benefits thing. Like I said a few days ago, I had my travel to work paid for, for donkeys years, food at work and laundry etc. That surely has to be seen as an addition to ones income.

You are right

Paid travel is a benefit in kind and taxable
Food at work isn't if I recall correctly
Laundry is a tax reclaimable issue, if you have to wear a work uniform, you can submit a claim to inland revenue and get money for your laundry bill, but work paying to wash your overalls, isn't a benefit.

Anything taxable should be on the P11, and if it isn't then the company is breaking the law.

lastlid
9th July 2012, 19:21
You are right

Paid travel is a benefit in kind and taxable
Food at work isn't if I recall correctly
Laundry is a tax reclaimable issue, if you have to wear a work uniform, you can submit a claim to inland revenue and get money for your laundry bill, but work paying to wash your overalls, isn't a benefit.

Anything taxable should be on the P11, and if it isn't then the company is breaking the law.

Not if the employer has an agreement with the Inland Revenue / HMRC

cheekee
9th July 2012, 19:47
Can someone summise the full requirements for a settlement visa or post a link.

Thanks

deeen
9th July 2012, 19:53
I think it's £8.90 an hour.

To the OP,
Full time team leader in Tesco would do it

Or home delivery driver. They are always short of home delivery drivers if you have 3 points or less on your license.
Also a good part time option, if you are below the threshold.

rusty
9th July 2012, 20:04
Can someone summise the full requirements for a settlement visa or post a link.

Thanks

If you are applying as a spouse/patner then follow the links from the UKBA website

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/apply-outside-uk/

Iani
9th July 2012, 20:09
Or home delivery driver. They are always short of home delivery drivers if you have 3 points or less on your license.
Also a good part time option, if you are below the threshold.

I fancied being one of those drives ages ago, but I think you need a HGV license, plus they never seem to have vacancies on their websites :icon_lol:

It just seemed such a nice chilled role

andy222
9th July 2012, 20:40
Thanks for the replies lads. If anyone has seen a NHS wage slip believe me its baffling. Anyway I phoned a accountant up today and he told me unfortunately what I get for milage expenses is not part of you income. So thats that. I can afford to bring the wife here but not my stepdaughter.

stevewool
9th July 2012, 20:50
Thanks for the replies lads. If anyone has seen a NHS wage slip believe me its baffling. Anyway I phoned a accountant up today and he told me unfortunately what I get for milage expenses is not part of you income. So thats that. I can afford to bring the wife here but not my stepdaughter.

andy, you may not earn enough but what a bout saving surely that could and should be added

andy222
9th July 2012, 21:12
Its not over yet steve. I have to wait for a reply from Mr Green, You never know he might give me a special pardon.:laugher:. Seriously though I have to wait for his reply then see my mp. Before I take it to the media, I think my story is worth telling. Married before all the new rules came in, Daughter fighting for this country in afghanistan, working for the NHS, saving the government £thousands by providing treatment to patients in their own homes instead of them being in hospital etc.

lastlid
9th July 2012, 21:14
Its not over yet steve. I have to wait for a reply from Mr Green, You never know he might give me a special pardon.:laugher:. Seriously though I have to wait for his reply then see my mp. Before I take it to the media, I think my story is worth telling. Married before all the new rules came in, Daughter fighting for this country in afghanistan etc.

Yep. Working for the NHS...etc ....crazy and very ironic.

I can just see you on the front of the Daily Mail now, Andy....

andy222
9th July 2012, 21:30
Yep. Working for the NHS...etc ....crazy and very ironic.

I can just see you on the front of the Daily Mail now, Andy....

Yes laslid sell the story for a couple of hundred grand and tell Mr Green and Mrs May to :censored: off. Im off to the phils. :laugher::laugher::laugher:

lastlid
9th July 2012, 21:39
Yes laslid sell the story for a couple of hundred grand and tell Mr Green and Mrs May to :censored: off. Im off to the phils. :laugher::laugher::laugher:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tokage
11th July 2012, 10:24
Hi all, ive been searching around for info on these new laws, and although my fiance is Japanese this forum seemed the best source of info and at the end of the day were all in the same boat.

ive been travelling to Japan every 3 months for the past 2 and a half years, we planned on January 2013 being our last trip when we'd marry and after that she'd come to live in England with me.

im earning (as of next months payrise) just short of 17k, with no mortgage or debts and very low rent as im still living with parents. My wage would be more than enough for me and my fiance to live comfortably on which is what is frustratingme the most.

I guess my only options are get a 2nd job, save 16,000, or just wait and see what the future holds with court cases and stuff?

also does anyone have a link regarding the 16,000 savings?

Its nice to know were not alone in this situation. As im sure it has for a lot of members here, its turned our life and plans upside down.

Terpe
11th July 2012, 16:23
Hi all, ive been searching around for info on these new laws, and although my fiance is Japanese this forum seemed the best source of info and at the end of the day were all in the same boat.

ive been travelling to Japan every 3 months for the past 2 and a half years, we planned on January 2013 being our last trip when we'd marry and after that she'd come to live in England with me.

im earning (as of next months payrise) just short of 17k, with no mortgage or debts and very low rent as im still living with parents. My wage would be more than enough for me and my fiance to live comfortably on which is what is frustratingme the most.

I guess my only options are get a 2nd job, save 16,000, or just wait and see what the future holds with court cases and stuff?

also does anyone have a link regarding the 16,000 savings?

Its nice to know were not alone in this situation. As im sure it has for a lot of members here, its turned our life and plans upside down.

This new forum thread may help your first steps:-

All New Guide - How to apply for a Spouse/Partner Visa (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/39740-All-New-Guide-How-to-apply-for-a-Spouse-Partner-Visa)