PDA

View Full Version : Transferring large sum of money from Philippines to the UK upon sale of condo

pnl
8th July 2012, 17:12
My wife and I are selling a condo in Manila. Our Manila-based lawyer's bank said they would not remit the money to the UK because of anti-money laundering laws. Both my wife and I do not have accounts in the Philippines nowadays. Any ideas on the best way to get the money sent to the UK and paid into a pounds sterling account? Thanks in advance.

stevewool
8th July 2012, 18:03
not sure but someone will advice you,seems to me you may have to open a account in the phils again

CBM
8th July 2012, 18:11
I think your lawyer's bank are talking through their hats. Your lawyer can identify you as his client, and the source of the funds is obvious - what's their problem?

But if you are really stuck open an account with HSBC

gWaPito
8th July 2012, 18:35
Failing that..open an account with Philippine National Bank in Earls Court London...absolutely no need to open account in Philippines...they will sort it out for you...we find them most cooperative.

RickyR
8th July 2012, 20:15
If you have to open an account with HSBC, and another in the UK, the accounts can be linked, and you get a preferable transfer rate between the two. You'll need to look at the tax implications in the UK however, probably need an accountant in the UK to do your Self Assessment to sort that out.