PDA

View Full Version : sending text messages home

dizzy
8th July 2012, 10:36
hi guys.i've been trying to send text messages to my family back home in the philippines but it's not sending. it says test message failed to deliver.i sent messages to friends and it's sending but not to my family's numbers.however, i got a text from my mom yesterday but still can't send texts to her.

CBM
8th July 2012, 10:39
Your phone may be barred for international calls? It is cheaper to send texts to mobiles in the Philippines using Skype and texting from your computer - just add the name and number to your Skype list. Its not free but it is about 3.7p a text, which is cheaper than using a phone.

But see Dedworth's post below!

Dedworth
8th July 2012, 10:48
£0.01 per text Fish Text

http://www.fishtext.com/

dizzy
8th July 2012, 10:55
it only occurred last week.i thought it might be a problem with the signal or something but i could send text messages to other numbers in the philippines...when i send test messages to my mom and brothers it would say 'message delivery failed'...it only happens to to mom's and bros numbers...

CBM
8th July 2012, 11:27
Sounds like a coverage issue - do they have dual sim card phones eg Smart + Globe?

dizzy
8th July 2012, 11:31
no they're using sun and smart not dual sim...

somebody
8th July 2012, 12:08
What operator are you using in the Uk? If one of the big Brit companies worth seeing if their customer services can check for you.

songz777
8th July 2012, 13:22
hi guys.i've been trying to send text messages to my family back home in the philippines but it's not sending. it says test message failed to deliver.i sent messages to friends and it's sending but not to my family's numbers.however, i got a text from my mom yesterday but still can't send texts to her.

When mine did that "failed to deliver" it did actually send the message, the key is does it show credit being taken out? if yes then i did send. I also borrowed my loves spare phone and used that to text home it was lot cheaper.

dizzy
14th July 2012, 06:04
@somebody im using orange.last week i can send text messages to my friends.now i can't send to them anymore when i tried to text today...

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 07:55
@somebody im using orange.last week i can send text messages to my friends.now i can't send to them anymore when i tried to text today...

Same here, started yeaterday. I called Orange and they said it wasn't my phone but a problem in Phils with their network..... bloody annoying

simply.gurl
14th July 2012, 08:14
why dont y'all try viber or tango free text and calling.. if your relatives or love's one are using smartphone.:D

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 08:45
why dont y'all try viber or tango free text and calling.. if your relatives or love's one are using smartphone.:D
I already use Viber, but if my wife is not in a hot spot or home, she cant receive it. But on the occasion i need to use an sms and it fails, it is worrying

johncar54
14th July 2012, 09:07
Why are people hung up on SKYPE, it very rarely is as cheap as the alternatives

Example: voipcheap.com, text to Phil 2.8 pence including VAT (Skype 4.3p), land line calls 7p (Skype 13 )and to mobiles 9 pence (Skype 16.2) per min.

AND SKYPE ALSO CHARGE A CONNECTION FEE of 7.9 p

Voipcheap, NO CONNECTION CHARGE

Other VOIP services may be even cheaper

PS for those who are not aware. Often people use the word SKYPE when meaning VOIP ( voice over internet protocol) rather like say HOOVER when they mean vacuum cleaner.

raynaputi
14th July 2012, 10:09
Same here, started yeaterday. I called Orange and they said it wasn't my phone but a problem in Phils with their network..... bloody annoying

I can't receive text from the Philippines via my Globe number. I have a signal but text messages from my family were not coming thru..I think it's signal problems...:cwm23:

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 10:59
I can't receive text from the Philippines via my Globe number. I have a signal but text messages from my family were not coming thru..I think it's signal problems...:cwm23:

Another thing Rayna, I have a smart roaming sim in a sim free phone, but i cant receive messages on that now, but that started a few weeks ago. Charie has posted me a new one.

raynaputi
14th July 2012, 11:09
Another thing Rayna, I have a smart roaming sim in a sim free phone, but i cant receive messages on that now, but that started a few weeks ago. Charie has posted me a new one.

yeah, same thing happened to my Globe roaming sim..it just started last week. I transferred it to my Nokia N8 and got all the messages from my family. But I don't think it's my other phone's problem (a Sony Ericsson xPeria) because I tried using my Vodafone sim there and it's just fine on receiving texts. I think Philippine networks are not working properly. :NoNo:

CBM
14th July 2012, 11:22

Example: voipcheap.com, text to Phil 2.8 pence including VAT (Skype 4.3p), land line calls 7p (Skype 13 )and to mobiles 9 pence (Skype 16.2) per min.

PS for those who are not aware. Often people use the word SKYPE when meaning VOIP ( voice over internet protocol) rather like say HOOVER when they mean vacuum cleaner.

Very true, but if used PC to PC it is free, along with some sort of a picture if wished. That is really what it's for I think.

johncar54
14th July 2012, 11:27
CBM

That's true, but then there are so other alternatives which are free when you use PC to PC

And, for example voipcheap.com is free to land-lines to around half the world. Many of my wife's family in ROP don't have their own PC, but they all have land-lines or mobiles.

I have had a SKYPE account for many years but seldom (almost never) use it.

CBM
14th July 2012, 11:51
@Johncar 54 ..Very true, and thanks for the advice. I have got caught by the paid Skype services because they are handy when using the free service. Part of their Cunning Plan, no doubt! ;)

Dedworth
14th July 2012, 13:10

Good post. All Skype users are doing is contributing more to the Microsoft coffers

dizzy
14th July 2012, 13:16
family doesn't have any smart phones.they're not much into those..anyway easy/simple cellphones are ok for us.just to keep in touch by texts and calls (once in a while) to save on expenses.anyway, parents live out of town so internet isn't an option...i hope this thing gets fixed soon:doh

dizzy
14th July 2012, 13:18
i can still receive text messages from the philippines though but i can't send still...

imagine
14th July 2012, 15:47
i not been able to get voice on skype or yahoo, only vid and txt,for about 4 days now, also mobile rings but no sound on answering,plus txt not working, doesnt seem to matter what network your using from uk end , it is at phil end for sure

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 16:07
family doesn't have any smart phones.they're not much into those..anyway easy/simple cellphones are ok for us.
Dizzy, we are talking about Smart sim cards not 'smart' phones :D , Smart is the network, like Orange and Vodaphone here. Most people in Phils use Smart or Globe.

imagine
14th July 2012, 16:16

not sure how you can put a sim in a sim free phone?

but no matter, i f get a smart roaming sim sent to me from phil, and i put in my unlocked cel phone, does this mean i get free txt to any cel in phil,,,just by sending txt in the normal way and not through net ? is it pay as you go and do i have to top it up , to get free txt,? any other advantages ?

dizzy
14th July 2012, 18:54
@steve...i know...i'm from the philippines:Hellooo:

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 19:58
not sure how you can put a sim in a sim free phone? Meaning one that is not dedicated to a networked sim card:cwm3:

By having a roaming phone here, my wife can message me for something like 1 peso, so cheap for her if she is not in range of wifi.

@steve...i know...i'm from the philippines:Hellooo:
:icon_lol: ok.

imagine
14th July 2012, 22:17
Meaning one that is not dedicated to a networked sim card:cwm3:

By having a roaming phone here, my wife can message me for something like 1 peso, so cheap for her if she is not in range of wifi.

:icon_lol: ok.

i take it thats what i call unlocked to any network , i thought sim free meant something different, im not that up on phones

and is it the same 1p to txt phil from that same sim?

Steve.r
14th July 2012, 22:29
is it the same 1p to txt phil from that same sim?no, considerably more, so i only use it for incoming sms messages. I have not found a really cheap way to text a mobile in Phils yet. Any takers got a cheap way to text mobile to mobile ?

imagine
14th July 2012, 22:39
theres something called chikka lite app free txt to phil from facebook, or from android phones ect,

think you have to have a phil sim no/ to register, any good or not iv no idea

Doc Alan
14th July 2012, 22:46
The Smart network has been “ down “ earlier this week, which does happen a few times each year. This time I could receive but not send texts.
This site could be worth a look :-
https://www.callingnow.co.uk/
They have available a “ Plug n’ Talk “ device for use through a USB on computers connected to broadband. A “ soft phone “ appears on screen , and once status display reads “ SMART Plug n’ Talk Ready “ you can send / receive text messages. It now costs 20 GBP – including device, travel pouch, earphone and microphone, Smart Pinoy Sim,and P 20 load.
Texts to Smart mobile numbers are around P 1, or non-Smart P 2.5 - for 160 character messages.
( Initiating voice calls to Smart mobile are around P 7.50, non-Smart or Philippines landline P 8.50 per minute, but not always available.)
Receiving texts ( or voice calls if available ) from Philippines are free, and texts cost from P 1 ( depending on network ) to send from Philippines.
Using unblocked mobile phone and a Smart Pinoy Sim, set to “ Roaming “ ( for use outside Philippines ), texts to the Philippines are about P 20 each, although you can’t make calls. As Steve says, receiving texts, which cost around P 1 to send, are free. An unblocked mobile can be used for texts or calls in the Philippines, when Roaming facility turned off. It should be easy to get a mobile unblocked in the UK.
You can obtain Smart or other E loads, such as Globe, online through “ Calling Now “, around 17 GBP for P 1000.
Vodafone has monthly mobile contracts which include “ international packages “ at around 4.17 GBP / month, reducing costs of calls and texts, but they may still be more than using a Smart or Globe Sim. It may be possible to negotiate deals, as I have just done in this sort of package, such as 100 free texts / month to Philippines or elsewhere in the world.

imagine
14th July 2012, 22:49
i have a mobile i got from 3, built in skype, its limited the same as on lap top, free to recieve, free to txt computers with skype but no vid , limited but usfull at times, the phone is payg but dont have to top up at all no charge to their network to use skype, same conditions apply to skype, you pay skype if you call landlines ect,

i dont know if you can get them like that now without having to connect cel to net 1st