PDA

View Full Version : Would this bother you?

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 14:46
A screaming sprog on a flight - and it hasn't even left the ground. :peepwall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgNpWZ7VVs&feature=related

stevewool
7th July 2012, 14:49
at first no but if it was a long flight and a long scream well then it would,but then again sometimes the mother or father cant cope when they know its bothering others so it gets worst, nothing worst then some idiot shouting for the baby to stop crying

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 15:03
at first no but if it was a long flight and a long scream How about 5 hours? :yikes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlH9XG3Gbmo&feature=related:yikes:

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 15:36
Difficult one.

Put my grumpy old man hat on and I'd be incredibly irritated, but it's a baby we're talking about here and parents who are probably doing their best in tough circumstances. Imagine how they must feel.

Turn up those headphones and drown the noise out or drink yourself into not caring ? :Erm:

Nothing we could do, so just have to be philosophical.

Similar to having 7 dogs barking all night long next door in the Phils.

Either get really stressed out or become accustomed to and accepting of it. :)

gWaPito
7th July 2012, 16:21
at first no but if it was a long flight and a long scream well then it would,but then again sometimes the mother or father cant cope when they know its bothering others so it gets worst, nothing worst then some idiot shouting for the baby to stop crying

I hope our babies dont play too much up when we fly out in October :NoNo: (ill give flights details to anyone flying to Philippines that month, as to avoid :D)

Im not known for holding back, though...if we start getting verbal..well, death before dishonour and all that...that's me to a tee :D

Perhaps ill slip in slug of gin during babies feeding times..I hear it works wonders :)

Iani
7th July 2012, 17:20
Similar to having 7 dogs barking all night long next door in the Phils.

Either get really stressed out or become accustomed to and accepting of it. :)

Or plan C - go round, shoot them - dog adobo?

As for babies on flights, well I'm torn between two camps. The real me who doesn't really care that much (It always seems to be the case that a long distance flight HAS to have a screaming baby on board, it's just one of those laws of physics)

And the other hand which says that any parents taking a baby on a long distance especially night flight are incredibly selfish, and can't they just take their holidays in Mablethorpe for a couple of years.

gWaPito
7th July 2012, 17:57
Or plan C - go round, shoot them - dog adobo?

As for babies on flights, well I'm torn between two camps. The real me who doesn't really care that much (It always seems to be the case that a long distance flight HAS to have a screaming baby on board, it's just one of those laws of physics)

And the other hand which says that any parents taking a baby on a long distance especially night flight are incredibly selfish, and can't they just take their holidays in Mablethorpe for a couple of years.
Ordinarily, I would wholly agree with your last sentence Ian.

But, for us this is a whole lot more than just a jolly in the sun..(those days are well gone)

For most in same situations as us, its a hard worked opportunity to see family who haven't been seen, as in my wife's case for nearly a couple of years...many go for decades b4 they go back.....its a chance for family to meet there cousins grandmother aunts..you name it..its gonna be a massive event for all concerned

Plus a double Christening to boot :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hardly comparable to A 2 weeks 'larding it' on a costa beach.

Believe me, if we could get there via a magic carpet, we'd jump on :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
7th July 2012, 18:04
and can't they just take their holidays in Mablethorpe for a couple of years.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: done that many many times before i new the world was round

CBM
7th July 2012, 18:15
Some babies cry more than others; it just seems to be that way. Little babies soon sleep but a child in the "terrible twos" can keep it up for hours!

I hope I'd have the decency to realise that no parent(s) take small children on long flights for fun.

Besides, what difference would complaining make - the unfortunate parents can hardly smother the brat in mid-air!

Terpe
7th July 2012, 18:22
I thinks it's just human nature to find it hard after a time.
But nothing to do. Can't blame the baby, and can't blame the parents. They're surely feeling pressured too. That's life just have to smile and put some headphones on, or if you're sitting close maybe help.

One time going to Japan I was sitting up front right next to a very long and loud crying baby. Foolishly I offered to hold the baby.
Funny thing was it stopped crying almost immediately and just stared at me. Maybe scared to see my green eyes and fair hair.
The unfunny thing was the parents didn't seem too eager to take the baby back again:D
Then there was odd smell:doh

Moy
7th July 2012, 18:31
2 years ago i got 3 kids on my lap..youngest is 1 and half years second was 2 years old both on my lap for 18 hours :omg::rolleyes: those where the days:cwm3::D the oldest is 4 years old beside me..

stevewool
7th July 2012, 18:38
Then there was odd smell, are you on about the baby:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Moy
7th July 2012, 18:41
Then there was odd smell, are you on about the baby:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
its might not be a baby to consider stevewool:action-smiley-081::laugher: but wait until youll have your own on your own time and glory age lolz..and youll know what it feels like lolz:icon_lol::action-smiley-081:

Iani
7th July 2012, 19:11
Totally hear what you say gWaPito. Like I said, personally it doesn't really bother me, not sure why, perhaps it's because planes aren't quiet anyway and a baby is just another noise.

I MIGHT be annoyed if I needed to try sleep on the flight - or I might not. I've had more problems with fellow adults on flights, one arrogant sod in particular who felt the need to elbow me every so often, but that's another story.

I wish I could sleep on planes, I can manage if I get a window seat and sort of stick a blanket over my head, but how do people do it sitting up? Must be a trick to this

Steve.r
7th July 2012, 19:47
As I see it, if you are taking a baby on a plane from either here to Phils or Phils to the UK, you will be flying through the night anyway. You can't choose your flights these days when the cost is (for me) is the main factor. Selfish? no!

I hope to bring my little son here to the Uk at some point within the next year, but if he cries what can you do. Babies cannot be expcted to suck on a boiled sweet to relieve the pressure in their ears can they....?? Sometimes it just happens. If my son cries all I can do is try to comfort him (or give him back to mummy :xxgrinning--00xx3:), but I know some babies just cant handle it, they are not seasoned travelers.

What gets my goat, is young kids who are jumping about with no regard for others. This to me is the fault of the parents who need to control their brood and keep them in order. :xxaction-smiley-047

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 21:16
My boy was always quiet as a mouse on planes. :)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9312/richabout8months.jpg

stevewool
7th July 2012, 21:21
is that a plane seat there graham, if so what class, 1st i think:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 21:23
No, but he HAS travelled first class that time I sent him home unaccompanied from the Phils when he was 9.

I can only dream of such things. :bigcry:

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 21:31
What gets my goat, is young kids who are jumping about with no regard for others. This to me is the fault of the parents who need to control their brood and keep them in order. :xxaction-smiley-047Like this? :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDIQPqlIr4

Steve.r
7th July 2012, 21:46
Like this? :icon_lol:

yes... just like that :NEW3:

lastlid
7th July 2012, 21:54
I think that babies that cry for long periods on longhaul flights are the exception, rather than the norm.

With my two children from my previous marriage, my ex wife was always aware of the potential for it to happen to us so she planned meticulously to prevent it. Normally by taking things that the babies would have at home, in her hand luggage. Anything that the baby used as a comforter at home was taken with us. And favourite food etc. Seemed to work. Like Steve alluded to, the trickiest bit was potentially the landing and the ears popping but by then the flight was virtually over anyway.

gWaPito
7th July 2012, 22:38
Like this? :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDIQPqlIr4

I bet these are the same types running riot in starbucks and tesco's week in week out ...not just planes

Steve's right, its the parents fault.

WhiteBloodAda
7th July 2012, 23:20
It all depends on the parents in my eyes. If they are trying their best to calm the little brat(s) down then fair play, not much you can do. If they are ignoring, or just shouting/smacking etc, then I have issues, but usually with the parents rather than the kid

lastlid
7th July 2012, 23:34
On flying with rugrats.......

http://www.flyingrugrats.com/on_the_plane/op_topic10.htm
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/travel/flight_tips_families/

jonnijon
7th July 2012, 23:37
I think Malasia Air segregate them now. :xxaction-smiley-047

malditako
7th July 2012, 23:48
as a mum it wouldn't bother me at all. Its normal for kids to get bored and entertain themselves. If you dont want this on the plane better book a first class or get your own plane.

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 23:53
I think Malasia Air segregate them now. :xxaction-smiley-047
They sure do :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGP4Ya6iII

Steve.r
8th July 2012, 00:12
as a mum it wouldn't bother me at all. Its normal for kids to get bored and entertain themselves. If you dont want this on the plane better book a first class or get your own plane.

I think you will find tht with good parenting, children will do what they are told and behave. If the parents care enough they will have thought forward and provided them with thingd to occupy them during the flight. There is no need for them to be jumping around and peeing off everyone around them :rolleyes:

grahamw48
8th July 2012, 00:30
I agree.

My kids were always quiet and well-behaved in any situation...just as my own siblings and I were.

Parental discipline.

Of course now it's all blamed on Attention Deficit wotsitname...seems half the kids in the country have it in one form or another nowadays. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if they also had some parental attention instead of being shoved off to be looked after by strangers in a nursery full of screaming kids from practically birth it would help.:NoNo:

Steve.r
8th July 2012, 00:42
I agree.

My kids were always quiet and well-behaved in any situation...just as my own siblings and I were.

Parental discipline.

Of course now it's all blamed on Attention Deficit wotsitname...seems half the kids in the country have it in one form or another nowadays. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if they also had some parental attention instead of being shoved off to be looked after by strangers in a nursery full of screaming kids from practically birth it would help.:NoNo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
8th July 2012, 00:44

Yes, I agree with that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Malaysia is who we are flying with this time...not only are we segregated (at each of the bulkheads, lovely :xxgrinning--00xx3:) the seating is 9 across as to the normal 10 seats across on most airlines....believe me, I know it dont seem much but, ask anyone.. 2 or 3 inch extra can make the world of difference :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
8th July 2012, 07:31
It is bad enough when they are your children, but when somone elses and we have no control of them it would get to the most patient of us in time:omg:

I would be understanding to start with anyhow
Not so bad if there was room to move seats but planes always are full when I have traveled:doh
Mick.:)

RickyR
8th July 2012, 07:52
There are several things when flying with babies and children. The first is how relaxed the parents are, if the whole process of getting up early rushing around, dealing with family waving you off, then the stress of security, the airport and not really knowing whats happening and what to expect next, then you'll have some very stressed parents. The baby will sense that. Then also there are techniques like ensuring the baby or child is drinking during the climb and descent phases so that the ears adjust, which some inconsiderate parents seem to forget how much it could hurt the baby.

Personally, having flown an awful lot, I discovered the noise cancelling earphones, absolutely fantastic. As soon as you switch them on it just goes silent, makes a flight so peaceful.

The Airbus A380 is a much quieter aircraft, almost silent infact, and for sure the noise will seem more when a baby cries.

Iani
8th July 2012, 08:09
Thing is, and many adults don't realise/remember, easily done...................is that there are certain circumstances or places which kids really really don't want to be in. One place is supermarkets.
Everyone knows you get tantrum children in supermarkets, and it's not necessarily their fault, it's that they get unbelievably bored and start to react. It will depend on their personality, some will go almost into a mini depression, others will lash out.

Car journeys can be a problem, but not nearly as much as the former, kids do seem to adjust to these.

Now I don't know about plane journeys, but even for adults these can be really boring. Thankfully most decent carriers will provide movies and games, and it does help, as does looking forward to the slop they dare to call meals, as does the provision of free alcohol :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Point to this is, maybe this is a reason for plane rage with very young kids.

mickcant
8th July 2012, 08:12
Thers always the hold
Just joking, I like children normally:D
Mick.:)