PDA

View Full Version : UK braced for further severe flooding

lastlid
6th July 2012, 06:45
Damn. I am hoping for a break in this weather for our forthcoming trip to Manchester and York. Please god, turn the taps off for a week or two.

"Experts are warning of floods in many parts of the UK, with a month's rain due to fall in 24 hours.

The Environment Agency has urged 85 communities, mainly in the east and north-east of England, to be vigilant.

It says the flood risk could be the highest so far this year and heavy rain has already begun to hit parts of East Anglia and the East Midlands.

The Met Office has issued an amber warning which instructs people to "be prepared".

Two bands of heavy rain are expected to hit on Friday and early Saturday, with transport links and properties potentially affected.

Yorkshire, the North East, the Midlands and East Anglia are expected to bear the brunt of the downpours"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18722054

Terpe
6th July 2012, 08:54
We were planning a weekend away too.
But we put that idea away yesterday. What a miserable summer weatherwise :doh

lastlid
6th July 2012, 16:44
"Britain is braced for severe disruption with up to a month's rain set to fall in 24 hours.
Gloomy forecasts suggest the wet weather will continue to blight the summer as the Environment Agency issued nearly 90 flood alerts and warned of a "potential danger to life".
Heavy downpours are predicted to hit the Midlands, Yorkshire and Wales, raising fears that householders could be forced to flee their homes in a repeat of scenes last month - the wettest June on record.
Weather forecasters said up to 60mm of rain could hit central and northern England on Friday. This is the same amount that would more usually be expected to fall over the course of an average July.
The deluges are expected to cause difficulties on the roads over the weekend and bring further devastation to areas which were badly hit only two weeks ago.
Events have already fallen victim to the inclement weather while a man using a mobility scooter had to be rescued from an underpass on Thursday night after he became stranded in water that was 3ft deep in Goole, East Yorkshire."

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/flood-warning-rain-bands-hit-uk-043357476.html

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 18:40
....Like being back in the Phils. :D

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7104/52187941019931896791505.jpg

Moy
6th July 2012, 21:31
we are in highest red amber warning in south area on devon and cornwall:yikes::doh with 60-80 millimeter of rain.tsk.. need my arc soon:cwm24::icon_sorry:;)

stevewool
6th July 2012, 22:05
all this rain, but it is still warm, cause a lot of problems on the roads today

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 22:30
I stayed at home.

It was nice to have the choice. :rolleyes:

andy222
6th July 2012, 22:32
Oh well I better get the dinghy out tomorrow for work.:doh

lastlid
7th July 2012, 16:11
Even the weather is doing a U turn. Whatever happened to the flooding? 20 degrees here and blue skies. Mrs Lastlid was complaining it was too warm today, on the promenade.

bigmarco
7th July 2012, 16:41
I'm off to Philippines next week and I hear its been raining there.

songz777
7th July 2012, 17:19
Here in Devon we have the worst short spell intense rain since 1985, I love near Dartmoor and flood water came right over a sizeable clapper bridge .. this doesnt even happen in the wettest winter rains!

stevewool
7th July 2012, 17:36
funny watching the GP at silverstone today on tv and just up the road its mid 20s and sunny, silly weather,

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 18:18
Been sunshine all day here in North Yorkshire. :)

somebody
8th July 2012, 12:15
I wanna complain we have had a little drizzle here in London in betweeen sunny spells this rain is for the country folk surely :cwm23:

Hoping all those in affected areas are safe and well :)

grahamw48
8th July 2012, 14:44
Been beautiful all day here again.

I'm so glad it was dry for the British GP in the end. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
8th July 2012, 22:58
I'm off to Philippines next week and I hear its been raining there.

Really bad weather in Cebu today, thunder and lightening.

grahamw48
8th July 2012, 23:01
Rainy season now in the Phils, so yes, plenty of rain, but often only for an hour or two in the afternoon. :)

Bluebirdjones
9th July 2012, 13:46
Mrs BBJ's (mandatory) holiday has been scheduled in towards the end of this week, and the idea was to see some relatives in Somerset, then drive through mid-Wales, onto Aberystwyth, then return via Carmarthen.

But seeing the abysmal weather forecast, we've shelved that idea, and to get some sun and heat on our faces, we're going to Marrakesh for 4 nights.

A bit different to say the least.

... and she doesn't require an "advance" visa !

stevewool
9th July 2012, 13:49
the rain we had last night was so heavy and long, and today i was imformed by my son, dad do you know the cellar is flooded, well no i did not and thanks for telling me, mop and bucket tonight when i get home from work it seems

lastlid
9th July 2012, 16:42
Mrs BBJ's (mandatory) holiday has been scheduled in towards the end of this week, and the idea was to see some relatives in Somerset, then drive through mid-Wales, onto Aberystwyth, then return via Carmarthen.

But seeing the abysmal weather forecast, we've shelved that idea, and to get some sun and heat on our faces, we're going to Marrakesh for 4 nights.

A bit different to say the least.

... and she doesn't require an "advance" visa !

Nice tip.