PDA

View Full Version : Our social identity

Bev2202
5th July 2012, 00:45
Kumusta po kayo? I will be writing a dissertation paper this september dito po sa isang uni sa Wales. Naisipan kong title is about how we filipinos (carers, nurses, married to british citz, students, etc) construct our social identity. Alam naman po natin na iba ang kultura natin sa UK. we are collectivist. we always favour relationship over individual oriented stuff. tanong ko lang po sa inyo (just to make sure that my title question will be making sense or an impact):
1. do/did you struggle adjusting to the british community? do/did you blend with the british community (at work, church, etc) well?
2. when off work, do you go out with your 'white' (not being racist) friends (if you have any) or do you stick with your filipino friends?
3. do you confidently show your 'pagkapilipino' sa trabaho? or nakalimutan mo na (well, konti lang) yung ibang traits natin kasi pinapraktis mo ang white culture sa bahay.
4. paano nyo po cinicelbrate ang pagkapilipino?
5. what do you think of other filipinos sa community nyo? binabati mo ba ang kapwa pilipino? or dedma lang? why?

Actually mdami pa po akong gustong intanong para ma-explore yung social identity nating filipino dito sa UK. yaan aayusin ko po ang pagsulat nyan sa wikang english. Baka pwede nyo pogn i-share ang inyong thoughts (natanong o hinde) about your identity (personal experience, feelings, etc) about being a filipino here in the UK. From there I would generate more questions. I am looking forward to your thoughts.
Salamat po!!!

bev

Steve.r
5th July 2012, 07:44
For the benefit of us 'white' people (not being racist) can you write all English so we can all understand. Not all of us are fluent in Tagalog.;)

Thanks

Bev2202
5th July 2012, 10:42
Ok. thanks Steve R. I thought I intended to address my questions to the Filipino migrant workers and others, thats why I posed them in part-english part tagalog. nevertheless, for the benefit of all readers, i will sure write in plain english from now on.

But I still do hope that many would still understand my earlier post. Steve, i hope that you somehow got the point of my earlier post. If not, totally, i shall translate it for you. Thank you!!

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 11:40
Could make for an interesting thread here too. :)

lastlid
5th July 2012, 11:52
Could make for an interesting thread here too. :)

I was thinking the same.

Steve.r
5th July 2012, 12:02
Ok. thanks Steve R. I thought I intended to address my questions to the Filipino migrant workers and others, thats why I posed them in part-english part tagalog. nevertheless, for the benefit of all readers, i will sure write in plain english from now on.

But I still do hope that many would still understand my earlier post. Steve, i hope that you somehow got the point of my earlier post. If not, totally, i shall translate it for you. Thank you!!

I think you will find that we could all contribute, which might make interesting reading. :)

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 12:49
Oh, and welcome to the forum Bev. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I use google translate when I don't understand the Tagalog...especially on facebook.

Actually I think it's quite a good way to learn too, because I have to keep putting in alternative spellings to allow for all the text speak and abbreviations on FB. :icon_lol:

Lord knows what some of my google English-Tagalog translated messages to Filipino friends mean though...just hope they're accurate. :cwm24:

Arthur Little
5th July 2012, 15:01
:welcomex: to our friendly, online filipino/uk site, Bev ... and good luck with your project.

Bev2202
6th July 2012, 14:45
good effort there graham. :-) it doesnt matter if they are accurate, chances are.. they are not accurate as there are many possible translations to one english word. :-) but if your keep speaking the language, you must learn it in time.

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 15:15
Yes, I keep coming across a word which translates into English as 'shovel', but no idea why it would be in the conversation. :icon_lol:

(I think the word in Tagalog was 'paan' ?).

Terpe
6th July 2012, 15:20
Yes, I keep coming across a word which translates into English as 'shovel', but no idea why it would be in the conversation. :icon_lol:

(I think the word in Tagalog was 'paan' ?).

:hijacked: Apologies the the OP for my off-topic

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a Japanese customer where he kept referring to "coal shovels"

Took ages to discover he meant Carbon Brushes in an electrical motor :doh

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 16:17
Steam engine ? :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
6th July 2012, 22:46
Kumusta po kayo? I will be writing a dissertation paper this september dito po sa isang uni sa Wales. Naisipan kong title is about how we filipinos (carers, nurses, married to british citz, students, etc) construct our social identity. Alam naman po natin na iba ang kultura natin sa UK. we are collectivist. we always favour relationship over individual oriented stuff just to make sure that my title question will be making sense or an impact):

Welcome to the forum Bev!!

First of all I dont agree that filipinos are collectivist because ''we are all individuals!! '' ..we are all different !!:rolleyes:

1. do/did you struggle adjusting to the british community? do/did you blend with the british community (at work, church, etc) well?

A: NO I didn't struggle, just with the British humour.

2. when off work, do you go out with your 'white' (not being racist) friends (if you have any) or do you stick with your filipino friends?

A: I can blend well with both white (Brit) and orange (Fil) friends lol

3. do you confidently show your 'pagkapilipino' sa trabaho? or nakalimutan mo na (well, konti lang) yung ibang traits natin kasi pinapraktis mo ang white culture sa bahay.

A: I can confidently say I am not lazy at work...most employers loves hiring a filipino becoz we are known to be hard working.

4. paano nyo po cinicelbrate ang pagkapilipino?

A: I celebrate being a filipino by cooking and eating filipino dishes especially rice ..plenty of rice lol

5. what do you think of other filipinos sa community nyo? binabati mo ba ang kapwa pilipino? or dedma lang? why?

A: They are ok, if they say hi and hello's I do the same but I am scared with filipinas who ask my mobile number straight away ...my principle of being friendly is limited here in england, if you know what i mean???

hope that helps.

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 22:49
Interesting. :)

More Filipino responses please. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 22:51
Can I ask a question ?

What does it feel like to be smaller than a lot of people here...even some kids ?

Do you feel intimidated ? :Erm:

sars_notd_virus
6th July 2012, 22:56
Can I ask a question ?

What does it feel like to be smaller than a lot of people here...even some kids ?

NO, its good becoz when I go on clothes shopping , the smaller size are usually on sale becoz for some reason they dont sell many of them;)

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 23:25
I'm not surprised...since most 'local' women would find it easier getting a tent to fit these days. :rolleyes:

I remember the ex used to buy stuff at M & S supposedly for 11 year-olds. :D

Bev2202
7th July 2012, 00:27
Can I ask a question ?

HAHA question. It was a bit, especially in uni that I am the oldest in class but the smallest. then I always say this catchphrase: 'YEAH YEAH, I KNOW IM TINY, BUT IM EXPENSIVE'. it just breaks the ice straight away.

Bev2202
7th July 2012, 00:29
Thank you 'Sars'. those answers are helpful and are noted.
When I say COLLECTIVIST,

Bev2202
7th July 2012, 00:34
Thank you 'Sars'. those answers are helpful and are noted. Although,

When I say COLLECTIVIST, I mean our national character as a whole, we Filipinos (actually, most Asian esp Japanese) tend to value the opinion of the group even if we compromise ourselves a bit. eg. telling white lies so we won't hurt the feelings of others inthe group. Unlike western culture who are INDIVIDUALIST, who tend to promote self-opinion or individualist, even they may offend others as long as they say what they need to say. (thats a stereotype).

Thanks xx