PDA

View Full Version : making plans

imagine
4th July 2012, 23:48
Im making plans to visit my lovely lolita in Malaybalay, Bukidnon for a minimum of 21 days , all being well this comming november,
unfortunatly i cant book my flights yet untill im certain, at the moment klm have flights in november for around £750 aberdeen ,, amsterdam,, manila,
i think it will be september before im sure of the dates i can travel, i hope they dont go up too much by then ,
i thought i would pay klm extra to have return ticket changable date incase i want to stay longer, i think its an extra £80,

im so looking forward to this,

any advice or tips regarding my trip appreciated

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 00:09
Something to get excited about Stewart. :D

Not a bad idea getting an 'open' ticket if you can be flexible about length of stay.

That's the way I used to do things in the past.

Just ask for a 59 day visa before immigration (instructions on other thread).

If you decide to stop even longer you can get further extensions out there.

My second trip turned into 9 months. lol :icon_lol:

imagine
5th July 2012, 00:15
Something to get excited about Stewart. :D

Not a bad idea getting an 'open' ticket if you can be flexible about length of stay.

That's the way I used to do things in the past.

Just ask for a 59 day visa before immigration (instructions on other thread).

If you decide to stop even longer you can get further extensions out there.

My second trip turned into 9 months. lol :icon_lol:

well i dont know if its what they call an open ticket, if i change return date will have to do that before return date expires or loose my ticket,

yes the excitment is getting a grip of me now :icon_lol:

unfortunatly i doubt i could stay 9 months lol,
but if all goes well and i have no doubts, i will be returning to uk only to prepare for my next trip a one way ticket asap :D

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 00:31
Well I haven't needed such a thing (open ticket) recently, so check with the agent/airline for the latest info on what you can and can't do with it.

Normally such tickets are valid for one year though, and as long as you come back within the year...no probs. You just get a travel agent there to book your flight out when you're ready, giving at least a weeks notice. They'll charge a few hundred pesos for the service. Also will extend your visa for you if you want.

I never book hotels in advance...never had a problem. You can then easily change if not to your liking. For a first trip (is it your first trip ? :Erm:) Probably best to book a room online for a day or two though while you find your feet. :)

Oh, of course you MUST have a return or onward ticket when entering the Phils.

imagine
5th July 2012, 01:19
i read that on their booking page,the closest thing to an open ticket as what you explain to be they cost something like another Economy Fully Flexible £355.00 on just the return ticket, making total £1,159.55

so thats quite a difference compared to their simplest method of £727.55 Total +£100 to allow change on return date

at phil end all my stay plans are taken care of :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 01:23
Ah yes, I thought I'd read somewhere that it's more expensive now.

Worth shopping around the airlines.

Maybe they'll do a 3 month open at a reasonable price if that would suit your purpose better.

imagine
5th July 2012, 01:34
i think £100 to change return date isnt so bad , but it must be changed obviously before that ticket expires, i guess if return fare has gone up the difference will also be to pay, as i found with my previous israel flight that never happened :icon_lol:
im not sure i will be able to stay longer. so cheapest option is proberbly best, and i thought to extend visa on arrival just incase i do, as it will save running round trying to get it later,

i checked for cheaper flights but too many changes and much more travel hours and not much cheaper, perhaps klm its self is better to deal with,

lastlid
5th July 2012, 06:44
I have flown KLM from Aberdeen to Amsterdam and then on to various parts of the globe on quite a number of occasions. I always found KLM fine. :xxgrinning--00xx3: And your ticket price seems okay (not too much Aberdeen markup).

I also always liked the airport at Amsterdam.

Terpe
5th July 2012, 08:11
Oooh, that's great news Stewart :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I wondered when that would come along.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great trip :Jump:

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 10:41
KLM charged £75 for date change 20 years ago, so yes £100 doesn't seem too bad now.

They never charged any extra for changes in ticket price. I doubt if they could do that anyway since you've paid a 'contracted' price already for your original return ticket. :)

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2012, 19:54
My advice would be to take your time, shop around and be as flexible with your dates of travel as much as possible as £750 seems a bit steep. Even consider travelling from another airport such as Glasgow as prices differ. The coach journey with National Express to Glasgow from Aberdeen might seem like an extra headache but it could work out cheaper overall. National Express do some good deals and promotional offers. (bristoluni was the code to get a discount when I travelled last month but it could have changed)

Personally if I was going for three weeks or over, I'd take my time getting to the Phils (but not 12-18 hour stopovers) and try and save as much cash as I could on travel because it does mount up what with airport tax and taxi's plus your airfare to Mindanao. But you can get really good deals too travelling domestically in the Phils. Its best though to travel light as the kg's your carrying does bump the price up on those flights.

The next time I'm going over I'm leaving my suitcase at home. Ruddy thing weighs more than the stuff inside. All I'm taking is about ten t-shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts, flip flops, underwear, mens stuff & camera. The reason being is that I can get all those clothes washed, dried and ironed in the Phils for a quid or less.

As for the cost of a domestic flight, I met a German guy who paid £12 with Tiger Airways for a single flight from Clark to Kalibo. Just check all the airlines for offers that fly domestically within the Phils. Alternatively there's a bus from Manila to Davao I think but that might be pushing it. :Cuckoo:

A good site for international flights is http://www.cheapflights.co.uk but to get
the actual current prices you will need to phone them up. I usually phone around a dozen, mostly with London numbers (020) and not starting with 08.

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 19:59
Loads of good info there Jamie.

Have some rep. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
5th July 2012, 20:00
........bristoluni was the code to get a discount when I travelled last month but it could have changed....

Student discount. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2012, 20:03
Loads of good info there Jamie.

Have some rep. :xxgrinning--00xx3:Cheques in the post :D

Student discount. :xxgrinning--00xx3:I got a discount and I'm not a student :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
5th July 2012, 21:47
thanks jamie, great info :xxgrinning--00xx3: for this ageing student :icon_lol:
gues if im asked then i can say im a student of life :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
5th July 2012, 21:49
Oooh, that's great news Stewart :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I wondered when that would come along.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great trip :Jump:

it sure will be :D

Nick30
5th July 2012, 22:14
That's great imagine.

I have booked my flight to see my mahal sometime around November time :D
I bet you're excited :)

songz777
5th July 2012, 23:03
Yes have a super time :) Idid! Oh and Graham i think you have shares in Philly :) your well travelled and a font of information! :)

grahamw48
5th July 2012, 23:21
Yes have a super time :) Idid! Oh and Graham i think you have shares in Philly :) your well travelled and a font of information! :)

Hahaha.....I'm just OLD, and the ex has got all the shares. :bigcry:

imagine
5th July 2012, 23:50
thanks graham, lastlid, Nick, songz,

i cant wait , just wish i could go now, but november will be here before i know it,

the excitment buiding up now , i can feel it in my water :icon_lol: no i didnt pee myself ,, well not yet :icon_lol:

Nick30
6th July 2012, 12:21
Same with me too but yes it will come round so quick but seems to go a bit slow when you're so looking forward to this very special moment. :)

Nick30
6th July 2012, 12:42
Has she ever been to the UK before Stewart?

Doc Alan
6th July 2012, 17:04
Good news Stewart, I wish you all the best, you deserve a great trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

imagine
6th July 2012, 17:13
Has she ever been to the UK before Stewart?

no and with all these changes too, i doubt i ever will be able to bring her to uk,

so if the mountain cant come to mohamid then mohamid must go to the mountain:D

imagine
6th July 2012, 17:14
Good news Stewart, I wish you all the best, you deserve a great trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

thank you Doc Alan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 17:40
no and with all these changes too, i doubt i ever will be able to bring her to uk,

That's no way to describe your young lady Stewart. :D

Nick30
6th July 2012, 17:49
I'm sure she can come and work though on a Tier 2. If not then apply for European citizenship lol.

imagine
6th July 2012, 18:07
That's no way to describe your young lady Stewart. :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol: a meterfor of course :Erm:

imagine
6th July 2012, 18:09
I'm sure she can come and work though on a Tier 2. If not then apply for European citizenship lol.

sounds like a lot of stress and hastle, the idea is ok but for me its easier, besides i can then escape from aberdeen :icon_lol:

Nick30
6th July 2012, 18:23
I would ask if she'd like to come and work here. I bet you're so excited about seeing her later this year. I just can't wait to see my mahal :icon_lol:

imagine
6th July 2012, 18:39
even if circumstances enabled me to bring lolita here, i doubt she could get employment,she is an english teacher, but qualifications will be different here too,anyway. we have talked about possible options and im sure we will talk more in november,
i know if i could bring her here she would for me, but it isnt what she realy wants, she would be home sick,i doubt she would realy be happy here,
and from another point of view, i need a life something different, get away from tax stupid govermont and stress , :D

Nick30
6th July 2012, 18:44
I'm sure that you will both have an amazing time in November mate :D I know I will :D

Terpe
6th July 2012, 19:34
..........and from another point of view, i need a life something different, get away from tax stupid govermont and stress , :D

That makes 2 of us Stewart :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
6th July 2012, 20:59
all ready via skype i have been taken on tour Bukidnon, i have been introduced to family and friends,oh and sat in the restaurant or should i say on the table:D last night, on the morning bus to her work and met lolita's fellow teachers:hubbahubba: on the bus, all very friendly and welcoming, more touring and family to meet soon again via skype,
i am very much looking forward to november,
i am very tempted just to up sticks and make november permanant, but im trying to be sensible for both of us and use november to get close and bond :Sex::icon_lol:

Terpe
6th July 2012, 21:06
Stewart, please don't take this the wrong way, but it already sounds so much more exciting so much more honest and with so much more "connection" that there ever was before.
God Bless dear friend

imagine
6th July 2012, 21:17
Stewart, please don't take this the wrong way, but it already sounds so much more exciting so much more honest and with so much more "connection" that there ever was before.
God Bless dear friend
your so right Terpe,
like the song ,,, this time i know its for real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YehXWZHvQeo&feature=related

sars_notd_virus
6th July 2012, 21:17

Power of love ....best wishes to you and Lolita:heartshape1::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
6th July 2012, 21:19
thanks sars :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th July 2012, 22:27
For our ladies in waiting: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrzzR-3PPqw

Rosie1958
7th July 2012, 10:10
PLeased to hear that you have found happiness, Imagine, I hope that it works out well for you :xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump:

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 10:58
Will this be your first time in the Phils, Stewart?

imagine
7th July 2012, 11:15
PLeased to hear that you have found happiness, Imagine, I hope that it works out well for you :xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump:

Thank you Rosie :)

imagine
7th July 2012, 11:19
Will this be your first time in the Phils, Stewart?

yes my first time and will be the furthest iv ever travelled,

furthest iv been up to now was amsterdam, ibiza and canaries so phil will be a real experience for me

stevewool
7th July 2012, 11:20
we all are making plans, you seem to be ahead of us all , hope it all goes well for you both, november will soon be here:)

imagine
7th July 2012, 11:30
we all are making plans, you seem to be ahead of us all , hope it all goes well for you both, november will soon be here:)

yes will be here before i know it , i better start packing now:icon_lol:

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 13:52

furthest iv been up to now was amsterdam, ibiza and canaries so phil will be a real experience for me

You will experience jet lag for the first time then.

My last trip was the worst...took me probably a week in the Phils before my head and sleep patterns were something like right. :Cuckoo:

Take things very easy and don't make any important decisions during that time.

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2012, 14:09

furthest iv been up to now was amsterdam, ibiza and canaries so phil will be a real experience for meIt takes quite a bit more planning than Europe so here's a few more tips if you've forgotten anything.

Jabs from the doctor - I was out of date, so I had my jabs done before my first trip to be on the safe side.

Malaria tablets - They range in price and can have side effects. On my first trip I took avloclor/proquainil (not sure if I spelt it right but it's close enough). They cost about £15 but they made me feel weird. On my second trip I only took avloclor which are the weekly tablets, cost a few quid and felt OK. But that's up to you.

Diarrhoea tablets - I find the best are Morrisons own brand at 75p per packet. Does the job.

Travel adaptor - Different from Europe so you might need one suitable for the Phils if it's not a multi adaptor.

Travel insurance - I've used Atlas both times. Thanks Dedworth :xxgrinning--00xx3: Cost is around £15 per month for a standard policy BUT make sure they cover Mindanao before taking it out - or any other policy you might decide to get.

Money/Credit or Debit cards - Last time out I took UK cash, Peso's and two Visa cards from different UK banks I'm with to be on the safe side. Make sure you inform your bank before you go if you plan to use your cards abroad.

Food - Look out for places like Chow King or Food Court in the malls. You can get a small meal and a drink for around a quid.

Hotels - If you're staying at the family's place all well and good financially but if you're not, look online before you go for suitable affordable accommodation and check out reviews on Trip Advisor and the like. Personally I wouldn't pay online unless it was through Agoda or a similar company due to insecure sites. Alternatively, get your mahal to either phone up or visit the hotel in person to book a room. We've never encountered having to pay a deposit before arriving and pay everything when we leave and the room is always available. If for some reason they don't honour the booking, jot a few other suitable hotels and their contact details down on a piece of paper or into your phone before leaving the U.K thus saving a bit of time searching for some place else.

Trikes - If there's no room in the sidecar, you'll be on the back of the bike seated sideways. Hold on tight, look towards the oncoming traffic and watch your legs especially on narrow roads. :yikes:

Jeepneys - If someone passes you money on one of these don't mistake it for a sign of generosity. :icon_lol: Pass it to the driver. If the driver passes you money, make sure it's your own change before pocketing it. :icon_lol:

Crossing the road - Look everywhere, forward, left, right, down, behind and watch at night for the vehicles with no lights. :Cuckoo::xxgrinning--00xx3:

......and last but not least

Don't get imprisoned in the mall toilets like I did :icon_lol: In some cubicles there is a release button on the sliding locks that you need to press and aren't obvious. I thought it was jammed so I had to call for :Help1: as the climb out was too high with no footholds. Embarassing! :xxsmilie_auslachen:

imagine
7th July 2012, 14:46
You will experience jet lag for the first time then.

My last trip was the worst...took me probably a week in the Phils before my head and sleep patterns were something like right. :Cuckoo:

Take things very easy and don't make any important decisions during that time.

a week recoverings a bit tough :cwm24:

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 15:27
a week recoverings a bit tough :cwm24:

Old age mate....and lack of alcohol probably.:rolleyes:

In the early days I used to hit the bars straight off the plane and just slept/fell into unconsciousness as and when .:icon_lol:

imagine
7th July 2012, 19:42
today lolita took me walkabouts again to meet another one of her sisters and friends in a seamstress shop, got a discounted quote for wedding outfits :yikes::D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

later on to a karaoke bar where i met more of loilta's friends and was entertained with lolita's singing :D

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 21:21
That's amazing Stewart.:)

Modern technology does have its uses eh ?

Remember those little phone things they used to have on Star Trek and suchlike, back in the 60s ?
They could SEE each other too when they were speaking ! Fantastic ! :D

imagine
7th July 2012, 21:27
That's amazing Stewart.:)

Modern technology does have its uses eh ?

Remember those little phone things they used to have on Star Trek and suchlike, back in the 60s ?
They could SEE each other too when they were speaking ! Fantastic ! :D

not always reliable but still how they make the world so much smaller, amazing how tech has come a long way since we were kids eh:D

of course sitting in a lap top kind of feels like max headroom:icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
7th July 2012, 21:30
sounds like a lot of stress and hastle, the idea is ok but for me its easier, besides i can then escape from aberdeen :icon_lol:

Yes. It is possible to escape from Aberdeen......:xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol:

imagine
7th July 2012, 21:37
Yes. It is possible to escape from Aberdeen......:xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol:

:D:laugher::laugher::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
7th July 2012, 22:15
My sister was a Lecturer at Aberdeen Uni for 10 years.

She's also escaped now. :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
7th July 2012, 22:58
Stewart, members have already given you helpful advice here. There’s much information about travel in the Health Section (
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/30988-Philippine-Malaria-Mosquito-Map-Dengue-Fever-Map
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/39475-Vaccinations ) which you and other members may or may not choose to take.
However, I have just added another post on antimalarials as it’s vital to get this information accurate. Whether or not members choose to take antimalarials depends on where they’re going, and most don’t for trips to the Philippines. That’s an individual decision but my information for those taking antimalarials is not an opinion. I stake my reputation on it being correct.

imagine
7th July 2012, 23:11
thank you Doc Alan for your help info links :xxgrinning--00xx3: