PDA

View Full Version : Flat Adverts Breaking the Law

lastlid
3rd July 2012, 12:18
" "To let" advertisements that specify a particular race or religion are visible in newsagents windows in many areas of London. But are they breaking the law?

Today overt racial discrimination is both illegal and socially unacceptable.

But it is now possible to find advertisements seeking tenants for rented accommodation which specify race, or other characteristics, in a way which some experts believe breaks the law.

Newsagents in different areas of London carry adverts saying:

"Double bedroom available… Asian only"
"Double room to let Gujarati (Indian) only"
Close to the station and bus stops (Filipino only)
"Professional single lady or Sri Lanka professional couple"
"House for rent… only Asian families" "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18588612

Bluebirdjones
3rd July 2012, 12:33
Lastlid

Take a look at this ...."No Asians"
An Australian mis-interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=0YM9Ereg2Zo&gl=US

Arthur Little
3rd July 2012, 13:12
:crazy: I know ... but whenever I notice the sign "TO LET", my mind somehow automatcally latches on to the word 'TOI LET! :piss2: Which - all too frequently - isn't so far removed from the truth ... considering the state of some of the flats advertised. :anerikke:

raynaputi
3rd July 2012, 13:47
When I was working in Singapore, adverts like this (well online sites/forums and not on TV) are frequent. I found my then Filipino family housemates in SG via pinoysg forum. Of course I would rather live with someone of my own race since it would be easier for me to adjust without my family and friends in another country. I don't know..I don't find it racist..just a matter of preferences for someone who looks for housemates/flatmates of their own race.

Dedworth
3rd July 2012, 15:27
I thought it was this sort of thing that prompted the 1965 Race Relations Act - adverts that stated "No Blacks, No Dogs ,No Irish"

bigmarco
3rd July 2012, 17:46
Racism only seems a one way street. Go and put an advert up beside one of them that says whites only and you will have your front door kicked off its hinges and carted off to nick.

WhiteBloodAda
3rd July 2012, 19:31
:crazy: I know ... but whenever I notice the sign "TO LET", my mind somehow automatcally latches on to the word 'TOI LET! :piss2: Which - all too frequently - isn't so far removed from the truth ... considering the state of some of the flats advertised. :anerikke:

Funny you should say that. As a little kid, that's how I learnt how to spell toilet :P