PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Day Out in London

Rosie1958
30th June 2012, 10:14
For anyone wishing to have a cheap day out to London, we travelled to the capital city last Saturday by train using First Capital Connect. They have special offers at the moment for off peak travel at weekends and offer 3 or 4 adults travelling together to travel for the price of 2. Children can travel for just £2 each. There are also special two for one offers at numerous theatres and other places of entertainment/ restaurants which you can get if travelling by train – just pick up a leaflet at your local train station to see what’s available before you go.

I’m not a great fan of London but there is a lot going on at the moment, with lots of free events and a great atmosphere. It's worth a visit. The streets around Piccadilly have been decorated with union jack flags and it looks very patriotic. The telephone boxes in the centre have also been decorated with very different themes which my Filipina sister-in-law really enjoyed and the street entertainers in Covent Garden are as crazy as ever.

The Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace takes places at 11.30 am each morning at the moment and it is free to watch with many spectators viewing. So, if you are looking for a cheap and day out and somewhere different to take your loved one, now is the time to go to London! :Jump::xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
30th June 2012, 10:24
you can have a great day out and cheap too just like Rosie says,cheap places to eat too, there is a place rightnext to the london eye, a buffet all you can eat for just a few pounds, plus lots of free loos too, just pop into any big hotel chain and use theirs:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
30th June 2012, 10:25
I took my wife for a 2 day visit to London in between christmas and new year, last year. Despite the cold it was a great few days. So, having been there already we are heading for York in july.

I am a Londoner, born and bred and I think it is a great place. :xxgrinning--00xx3: And i think that half the rest of the world share that sentiment, judging by the number of visitors it gets. I was fortunate enough, as a kid, to be only a 1 hour tube ride away from the city centre so we visited frequently over the course of my childhood.

I dont know so much about cheap, but the macdonalds we had are the same price anywhere else in the UK.

We tried to book tickets for the Jubilee Concert but were unlucky in the draw.

Why go to Paris when one can go to London?

Terpe
30th June 2012, 11:04
I agree, London is a fabulous place for a day trip or city break.
In my opinion it ranks up there with the best and easily sits at number 2 on my worlds best cities list.

As Rosie suggests, with all the excitement and events happening right now it's got to be a must-visit place :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
30th June 2012, 11:33
whats your number 1 city terpe ?
the British Museum is :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th June 2012, 12:00

I'm sure you could've guessed.... Tokyo

Barcelona at 3 and Paris at 4

Arthur Little
30th June 2012, 12:20
lots of free loos

:olddude: ... that's a DEFINITE bonus for old codgers like ME; I strongly object to paying 30p [or whatever!] for one pee. :piss2:

bigmarco
30th June 2012, 12:21
I love Central London you cant beat a Sunday Summer Stroll along the Southbank with the street entertainment and a reasonably priced lunch. Barcelona is lovely aswell closely followed for me by Amsterdam.

lastlid
30th June 2012, 15:22
The telephone boxes in the centre have also been decorated with very different themes :

Mrs Lastlid taking a call from Manila :D, just across from the Houses of Parliament....

joebloggs
30th June 2012, 17:27
I'm sure you could've guessed.... Tokyo

Barcelona at 3 and Paris at 4

yes that would have been my guess :D, my friend a few years ago married a Japanese girl, packed his stuff up left sunny salford to live in the land of the rising sun, never to return :rolleyes:

lastlid
30th June 2012, 18:20

The museums themselves are each at least a day out on their own.

British Museum
Science Museum
Geology Museum
V and A Museum
Natural History Museum
Imperial War Museum

Moy
30th June 2012, 18:25
whats your number 1 city

mine would be Cape Town, South Africa:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump:

Dedworth
30th June 2012, 20:13
Visitors need to beware of the plague of Roma beggars, pickpockets, thieves and con artists who infest central London

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01509/SNN1617ANN---_1509363a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4317934/Romanian-beggars-set-up-camp-on-Londons-posh-Park-Lane.html

lastlid
30th June 2012, 20:17
Visitors need to beware of the plague of Roma beggars, pickpockets, thieves and con artists who infest central London

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01509/SNN1617ANN---_1509363a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4317934/Romanian-beggars-set-up-camp-on-Londons-posh-Park-Lane.html

Looks like they are having a cheap day out in London! :icon_lol:

Dedworth
30th June 2012, 20:28
The museums themselves are each at least a day out on their own.

British Museum
Science Museum
Geology Museum
V and A Museum
Natural History Museum
Imperial War Museum

I'd add Museum of London

juvyjones28
30th June 2012, 22:47
Mrs Lastlid taking a call from Manila :D, just across from the Houses of Parliament....

I've got shot from there too :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

WhiteBloodAda
30th June 2012, 23:53
London is great to visit, but I'd hate to live there. Luckily it's only 1-2 hour train journey (depends if you want to pay the extra for HS1) to get there, so I don't have any need to stay the night there.

I've never been a fan of busy places (apart from sports venues or bars/clubs) and have always hated London for that reason....... Then I went to Manila. London wasn't so bad after all :D

mickcant
1st July 2012, 08:46
The london eye is well worth the cost, a lovely view.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

mickcant
1st July 2012, 08:47
Looks like they are dividing up their ill gotten gains:omg:
Mick.:)