PDA

View Full Version : Trolls

lastlid
8th June 2012, 13:14
A mother who was tormented with abusive messages by so-called online trolls has won backing from the High Court to have the identities of those who targeted her disclosed.
Nicola Brookes, 45, faced "vicious and depraved" abuse on Facebook after she posted a comment supporting former X Factor contestant Frankie Cocozza when he left the show last year.
Her anonymous tormentors set up a fake Facebook profile in her name using her picture to post explicit comments and lure young girls, said her solicitor Rupinder Bains.
Frustrated at what she considered a lack of action by her local police force, Sussex Police, to help track the perpetrators, Ms Brookes took legal action.
She took her case to the High Court in London where an order was granted last week compelling Facebook to reveal the IP addresses and other information of the people who had abused her.
Once they have been identified, Ms Brookes, a single mother who suffers from Crohn's disease, intends to bring a private prosecution against the abusers.
Ms Brookes, from Brighton, East Sussex, said: "I'm going for the strongest possible prosecution against these people. I want them exposed. They exposed me and they invaded my life."
Sussex Police said they asked Facebook to remove any abusive posts about Ms Brookes and said their investigation was still continuing and had been reviewed.
A police spokesman said: "As Facebook is an international website, millions of people from all over the world use it. We need to gather evidence to prove who the person is for a successful prosecution to take place. Officers examine any such allegations of bullying, harassment or malicious communication and every case is taken seriously."
A Facebook spokesman said: "There is no place for harassment on Facebook, but unfortunately a small minority of malicious individuals exist online, just as they do offline. We respect our legal obligations and work with law enforcement to ensure that such people are brought to justice."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/court-backs-victims-troll-fight-093738068.html
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/court-backs-victims-troll-fight-16169813.html

Arthur Little
8th June 2012, 18:14
:doh ... it's extremely upsetting for victims of these unscrupulous trolls.

That's why ALL new posters on OUR website join a 'moderation queue' ... to ensure such shenanigans are nipped in the bud. :xxaction-smiley-047

lastlid
8th June 2012, 20:18
Yeah. You filter them out before they get a chance to operate....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
8th June 2012, 23:09
Yeah. You filter them out before they get a chance to operate ....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

... :yeahthat:

Steve.r
9th June 2012, 00:37
What newly registered members don't realise is that spamming/trolling first posts are never seen by the open forum, they are hidden so we can approve or delete/ban them :signs136: