PDA

View Full Version : Tv in the Phlis

subseastu
4th June 2012, 15:46
I know you can get TV via cable or satellite in the Phils but does anyone know anything about this free to air satellite systems? I believe you get a box and a dish but don't you need a card for the box and to get a position of a satelite? Just wondering about this as a means of getting better TV when we go to the phils, especailly in the province as we cant get cable and I don't want to pay for subscription satellite for how often we're there.

I think I've seen something for sale in B&Q (a satellite and box) but that probably wouldn't work out there would it?

malchard888
4th June 2012, 16:24
It probably would work out in Phil, very much depends on the available satellites visible from Phil, the size of your dish and whether there are free to air services broadcast from the available satellite(s) footprints.
I notice that Aldi are doing a real cheap set up from Thursday for £30 but it may be pre programmed with satellites visible from theUK/Europe so you may have to add the satellites which cover Phil however it wouldnt be a disaster financially if you couldnt get it to work but not sure if your suitcase could accomodate the dish.:)

BoholoX
4th June 2012, 17:02
I doubt anything bought here would work out there (and customs would have a field day if they found a dish :icon_lol:) If you are in the provinces then satellite is the only way which covers the whole of the RP. Choices are Dream or Cignal, basic packages from about £6 a month. Dream is ok for older TVs, Cignal covers HD transmissions just depends on how much you watch.

malchard888
4th June 2012, 20:47
Just looked at the two providers on lyngsat that boholox mentions and it doesnt appear as though they provide any fta channels unlike sky here so looks like u may have to subscribe locally

grahamw48
4th June 2012, 21:43
My mate lived in the mountains miles from anywhere and built his own satellite system with a dish about 10 feet across. :cwm24:

He was a micro-electronics expert though. :)

Personally I wouldn't bother taking any kind of system from here.

Don't underestimate the skills of the locals and the availability of sophisticated gear there at low prices.

They'll soon fix you up. Just let them know what you need. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

subseastu
5th June 2012, 06:26
I doubt anything bought here would work out there (and customs would have a field day if they found a dish :icon_lol:) If you are in the provinces then satellite is the only way which covers the whole of the RP. Choices are Dream or Cignal, basic packages from about £6 a month. Dream is ok for older TVs, Cignal covers HD transmissions just depends on how much you watch.

The system I saw in B&Q said it would only work in europe, so it looks like I'd have to get something local.

subseastu
5th June 2012, 07:54
Just looked at the two providers on lyngsat that boholox mentions and it doesnt appear as though they provide any fta channels unlike sky here so looks like u may have to subscribe locally

That was what I was thinking, I was hoping that I could get fta but it looks like having to subscribe.

subseastu
5th June 2012, 08:06
My mate lived in the mountains miles from anywhere and built his own satellite system with a dish about 10 feet across. :cwm24:

He was a micro-electronics expert though. :)

Personally I wouldn't bother taking any kind of system from here.

Don't underestimate the skills of the locals and the availability of sophisticated gear there at low prices.

They'll soon fix you up. Just let them know what you need. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Its an idea but after seeing how the "electrician" wired up our house in the province I think Id prefer a ready made system!

grahamw48
5th June 2012, 09:41
Ah but don't tar them all with the same brush, eh. ;)

Even as a layman I know that there's not much power involved in a Satellite system. :)

By all means buy a ready-made system...just saying there are people out there with the skills to adapt it for you as necessary.

chippy
17th June 2012, 14:29
I looked into this as i wanted to take one for my wifes family so they could watch british tv but was sadly told you cant pick up our sats from philippines.

malchard888
17th June 2012, 19:37
thats right chippy, satellites which service the uk and europe are well below the horizon when u get to the far east therefore it is impossible for Phil to pick up the beams we receive unless of course some stations are relayed to satellites which cover this area of the world, but sadly maybe only BBC world news might be on the local epg.

grahamw48
17th June 2012, 19:44
The satellites that serve Asia do actually show a wide range of programming, much of it originating in the UK and the US. :)

Terpe
17th June 2012, 20:21
thats right chippy, satellites which service the uk and europe are well below the horizon when u get to the far east therefore it is impossible for Phil to pick up the beams we receive unless of course some stations are relayed to satellites which cover this area of the world, but sadly maybe only BBC world news might be on the local epg.

That's quite correct.
Going from memory I did find quite a few English Language channels available, and often some quite good UK, US, and Auzzie programming.
Although funnily enough some of the BBC programmes were actually dubbed into Tagalog with no way to keep the original English soundtrack. :doh

Sorry to say I really cannot recall the actual sats we used, but I can say that most of the English language channels are not strictly free-to-view.

Quite a lot of research would be needed as there are really a lot of sats that can be located.

As a first step in that research try Asiasat here (http://www.asiasat.com/asiasat/contentView.php?section=1&lang=0)

Take a look here for more (http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html)

You'll need to check each satellite to determine the transmissions and programming.
It'll be fun anyway. If anyone has the time. :D

I may be way out of date now but where there's a will there's usually a way and the locals know that way :D