PDA

View Full Version : tribute to our queen

stevewool
1st June 2012, 21:02
what a program, fantastic, nakes you proud to be brittish, long live the queen, long live the royal family, what a great fantastic program

grahamw48
1st June 2012, 21:42
I was just watching the one narrated by Prince Charles.
Did you mean that one ?

Fantastic ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Totally absorbing, and beautifully narrated by the Prince. :icon_sorry:

stevewool
1st June 2012, 21:48
yep, thats the one, brought a tear to my eye,made you smile and laugh with him too, just FANTASTIC:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
1st June 2012, 22:00
Yes, fascinating insight into their happy family life, and covered basically from the beginning of my own life.

My brother was on one of the Royal Tours (mid-east) back in the late 70s and spent a week with the Royal Yacht as 'home'.

He said the Queen was a charming and friendly lady, and he still has lots of souvenirs from the trip (signed photos in frames, place setting card with him sitting next to the Queen etc).

I think the Royal Family do a brilliant job for the country and are great role models for our youngsters.....apart from the some of the marriages. :)

laurel
1st June 2012, 22:19
I think our Queen is an awesome example of dignity..............long may she reign!!!

Ako Si Jamie
1st June 2012, 22:45
Pass me the sick bucket someone!

lastlid
1st June 2012, 23:27
Tribute to Queen....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqh8Jqu8tIk

laurel
2nd June 2012, 06:39
Pass me the sick bucket someone!

Sorry you dont agree, but Queen Elizabeth represents a long forgotten era . A time where for example when it was virtuos NOT to air dirty washing in public................a time when privacy and modesty were held in high regard.................NOW we live in a society of tittle tattle gossip and hearsay that are portrayed as news...............and where some feel a need to let everyone know their opinions on subjects ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime by being twits., sorry tweeting.

She took solemn vows as Queen and has done her best .........ask yourself this, how would you or I react being thrust into a position because of the actions of someone else???

Edward the V111 abdicated, leaving his Brother and our now Queens father as King...........the poor guy cldnt even spk properly, upon his death the throne went to Elizabeth, like her father she has taken on the responsibility with dignity........not all is perfect we know that..........but though it all she has come through with flying colours.

Im proud of her , im proud to be English , lets cheer her on , the monarchy is one of the few things left that MOST countries admire of this ONCE great nation

lastlid
2nd June 2012, 07:25
Sorry you dont agree, but Queen Elizabeth represents a long forgotten era . A time where for example when it was virtuos NOT to air dirty washing in public................a time when privacy and modesty were held in high regard.................NOW we live in a society of tittle tattle gossip and hearsay that are portrayed as news...............and where some feel a need to let everyone know their opinions on subjects ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime by being twits., sorry tweeting.

She took solemn vows as Queen and has done her best .........ask yourself this, how would you or I react being thrust into a position because of the actions of someone else???

Edward the V111 abdicated, leaving his Brother and our now Queens father as King...........the poor guy cldnt even spk properly, upon his death the throne went to Elizabeth, like her father she has taken on the responsibility with dignity........not all is perfect we know that..........but though it all she has come through with flying colours.

Im proud of her , im proud to be English , lets cheer her on , the monarchy is one of the few things left that MOST countries admire of this ONCE great nation

Nice one. I am not a royalist as such but I do appreciate our heritage. Not a lot of countries in the world have that. Like you say, the monarchy is representative of our history.

lastlid
2nd June 2012, 07:38
Actually, Mrs Lastlid and I applied for Jubilee Concert tickets - monday night outside the palace. We were unlucky. Would have been good.

stevewool
2nd June 2012, 10:13
we all have our own opinion, and i must admit, the older i have become the more i do apriciate the queen and her family, a beautiful young lady she was and what a family, you see we are all the same really, ok be it a few million quid between us:icon_lol:, but again long may she rule, also watched the film the QUEN the other night, very intresting i thought

grahamw48
2nd June 2012, 10:55
Well said Laurel. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Accident of birth and all that, and she's done a brilliant job.

Like so many things in this stupid country, many of its own citizens are the last people to appreciate its assets.

The Royals more than cover their monetary cost, and bring something very special and unique to the nation that most other countries envy...whether they admit it or not.

Arthur Little
2nd June 2012, 10:57
I was 7 years old when the Queen's father, King George VI died in February 1952 ... and remember thinking the new "King" would be called 'George the Seventh'! :rolleyes:

"Chauvanism" :cwm24: at an early age :D ... in imagining all Heads of State were male?

:nono-1-1: ... I prefer to look upon such "childish" musings as evidence of my ability to count! ;)

grahamw48
2nd June 2012, 11:11
I always thought 'Arthur' was a great name for a King.

:D

Arthur Little
2nd June 2012, 11:48
I always thought 'Arthur' was a great name for a King.

:D

:iagree: ... indeed - ever since Arthur, Duke of Connaught & *Strathearn (*note the Scottish connection!:Kilt:) 3rd son of Queen Victoria - it's AMAZING the number of times it has been incorporated into those of Royal princes. :yeahthat:

Arthur Little
2nd June 2012, 11:52
:Britain: ... long live our esteemed Royal Family!

Ako Si Jamie
5th June 2012, 01:42

Im proud of her , im proud to be English , lets cheer her on , the monarchy is one of the few things left that MOST countries admire of this ONCE great nationI really don't understand how you can be proud of someone you don't really know, someone who has never achieved anything, or faced adversity at any point in their life and overcome hurdles that the average Joe has faced.

She may be dignified but so would a lot of people in her position but being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth is not an achievement and an individual such as this doesn't deserve the adulation and recognition.

And to think that the majority of the planet admires her is just an oversee. Yes, there maybe plenty of tourists visiting Buckingham Palace armed with Nikon camera's but they're just a small percentage of the world's population.

Countries such as Japan, China and India have progressed over the years, while good old Blighty has stalled at the lights still foolishly clinging to the idea that the country is still great because it has a Royal Family.

stevewool
5th June 2012, 08:51
again thats your opiniun jamie, but i am sure there are more people who agree with what she has achieved and are proud of her without even knowing her too, i well i am glad we have the queen or king here in brittain , just my opiniun

grahamw48
5th June 2012, 09:25
someone who has never achieved anything, or faced adversity at any point in their life and overcome hurdles that the average Joe has faced.What absolute tosh.

The 'average Joe' is just that....average, not some kind of hero. Most are FAR from that, and have simple, mundane, undemanding little lives, with complications and adversity mostly brought on through their own ignorance or stupidity. :rolleyes:

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN ! :icon_sorry:

:engflag::Britain:

Iani
5th June 2012, 09:48
Countries such as Japan, China and India have progressed over the years, while good old Blighty has stalled at the lights still foolishly clinging to the idea that the country is still great because it has a Royal Family.

Sorry Jamie but that's a bit......ummm.......I'll be polite - it's wrong :icon_lol:

The country being held back has absolutely nothing to do with monarchs. India, China and Japan have made leaps forward because of other things. Firstly Japans leap forward came not long after defeat in war. There is also the national psyche and work ethos. They are "now there", just as Britain was "there" in King Edward VII's time (another monarch who actually stopped wars and managed to hold European peace until his end).
Japan had a monarch during their time of growth - he was frankly lucky not to have been hung mind.

China, there is also the national psyche. It is noted how wherever Chinese go, they work hard and build businesses. Add to that a very strict controlling government, and cheap labour.....

India.....cheap labour, huge labour force, good education if you can afford it, countries outsourcing there, ability to undercut......

You just can't compare these countries to the UK. All of them wanting to work hard and improve - and in the UK at the same time, back in the 70's we had Red Robbo calling out on strike because they'd run out of bogroll or something. It's a good thing, but we have laws against cheap labour here. Combination of strikes, production costs and quality meaning British industry was uncompetitive, then a certain someone selling off the state industries in the 80's

I tend to be optimistic, but the way this country is going economically, along with a proportion of the population who think the world owes them a living and wouldn't know work if it kicked them up their trackie-bottomed backside, you have to wonder where the country is going.

This might sound barking, but I have read this quite recently (I'll try find where, I tend to read many economic sites) - on this forum, being one full of people with Pinoy partners, we are aware of their lazy government and dire economic circumstances making a huge percentage of their young population go abroad for work and working in menial places well below their education.
Well I read a forecast suggesting in 30 maybe years, this is what will be happening in the UK. Our young people going off to South America, hopefully though not the middle east still, and working as maids for them!

Makes you think

Iani
5th June 2012, 09:50
About the royals though -

UK has a monarchy, tradition and all that, and it is no lie to say that they generate an immeasurable amount of tourist income and more importantly - diplomacy.

The republicans like to say the tourists would still come - many would. They like to say the monarchy costs money - well like a presidency would be free :NoNo:
Something they don't say - and in all fairness they probably don't realise - is that removing the monarchy would be one of the most mammoth tasks the country could ever want to achieve. This is simply because every law, every constitution, every facet of government is tied in to this monarchy. It would need the whole countries structure to be re-written, and it's been said it would be a lot easier for Scottish independence than for removal of the monarch (maybe one reason the Scots nationalists don't want rid of her).

It could of course be done, but who would pay for it? It would be unnecessary - as no-one in their right mind doubts the real top-dog is the current prime minister. The queen does not reign over us, she is an impartial head of state, above politics and keeps well out (her son by all accounts does stick his nose in a lot).

Deep down, I think the idea of a non-elected head of state is a little bit - wrong - but in this case, it works, very well, as I said before, her influence as an ambassador for the country is something money can not buy, and really - would all those people be waving flags for president Cameron? The only thing I would be waving at him would be a pitchfork and flaming torch!

grahamw48
5th June 2012, 09:59
Iani....thanks for the well thought out, constructive and interesting posts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
5th June 2012, 12:09
Iani....thanks for the well thought out, constructive and interesting posts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yep. Good posts Iani.

Ako Si Jamie
5th June 2012, 14:28
What absolute tosh.

The 'average Joe' is just that....average, not some kind of hero. Most are FAR from that, and have simple, mundane, undemanding little lives, with complications and adversity mostly brought on through their own ignorance or stupidity. :rolleyes:

:engflag::Britain:When did I say every or any 'average Joe' was some kind of hero? Those weren't my words. All I'm saying is that there are hardworking people out there that don't lead lavish lifestyles who contribute more to society than her and overcome life's obstacles along the way - and not all are self-inflicted like you seem to think.

Sorry Graham but your post reeks of snobbery as if the 'average Joe' is some kind of worthless human being. Would you say the same about our Filipino friends because they lead 'simple' lives too?

grahamw48
5th June 2012, 14:36
When did I say every or any 'average Joe' was some kind of hero? Those weren't my words. All I'm saying is that there are hardworking people out there that don't lead lavish lifestyles who contribute more to society than her and overcome life's obstacles along the way - and not all are self-inflicted like you seem to think.

Sorry Graham but your post reeks of snobbery as if the 'average Joe' is some kind of worthless human being. Would you say the same about our Filipino friends because they lead 'simple' lives too?

We're just going to have to disagree.

However, please DON'T make assumptions on my behalf or try to associate my views on certain elements of British society with what I may or may not think about Filipinos.

Many thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
5th June 2012, 22:38
We're just going to have to disagree.

However, please DON'T make assumptions on my behalf or try to associate my views on certain elements of British society with what I may or may not think about Filipinos.

Many thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:I know where you're coming from. I just wouldn't put the pond life that plagues this country into the same category as an 'Average Joe'.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
5th June 2012, 22:43
What absolute tosh.

:engflag::Britain:

i'm not a fan of the royal family - maybe in the old days if they lead a battle from the front :rolleyes:, why do people feel they need to be ruled by someone :Erm:

but i've got some respect for her :rolleyes:

Ako Si Jamie
5th June 2012, 23:01
The country being held back has absolutely nothing to do with monarchs. I just think this country puts too much emphasis on the monarchy and things like the Olympics and ignores more important issues in a country that's going to the dogs. It's like it's papering over the cracks to save face.

les_taxi
5th June 2012, 23:06
I'm a fan of the queen and the monarchy and the tradition and values it stands for.
Even if you are not a fan it can't be denied it made millions of people happy and for once proud to be British.
Every day bad news etc just for a few days it was nice to see smiling faces and lots of people forget how tough life is at times :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Long live the Queen:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th June 2012, 23:17
Ayup Les. :) Got to agree.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

...And of course these events start in the planning as much as 10 years in advance and cannot be abandoned just because the country is suffering some temporary 'hardship', or converted into a 64 year celebration when things start looking up. :rolleyes:

Apart from open-door immigration, we in this country are still incredibly lucky compared to the millions of poor wretches who have to live day to day in appalling conditions compared to our blessed lifestyle. :NoNo: