PDA

View Full Version : PAL eyes flights to Heathrow - Good News?

dxbugs
30th May 2012, 00:48
http://business.inquirer.net/61845/pal-eyes-flights-to-heathrow

MANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Corp.-led flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) is considering flights to London’s Heathrow airport once the country’s carriers are finally allowed to fly back to European Union member states.
Transportation and Communications Secretary Mar Roxas said the country’s oldest airline could have flights to the United Kingdom as part of its route expansion.
“Yes, PAL can fly to Heathrow because there are still unused frequencies,” Roxas said in an interview.
Roxas said the matter was discussed with the Lord Mayor of London Alderman David Wootton, who was in Manila for a visit last week.
There are currently no direct flights between any point in Europe and the Philippines. Earlier this year, Air France/KLM stopped its direct service between Manila and Amsterdam after complaining about high airline taxes that targeted foreign carriers with long-haul flights out of the country.
The Amsterdam service is now served out of Manila via Hong Kong.
Shortly after announcing San Miguel’s acquisition of a controlling stake in PAL, the conglomerate’s president and chief operating officer, Ramon S. Ang, said one of the top priorities in bringing the airline back to profitability was the expansion of its fleet and route.
He said the company would restore flights to Europe and expand its operations in the United States as a way to offset what the company has lost in domestic market share to budget carriers.
Ang said PAL would invest $1 billion for the acquisition of 100 new planes as it adds new routes. However, flights to the US would not be possible until the Philippines gets back its Category 1 status with the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The country is currently on a blacklist of countries whose carriers are banned from flying to European Union member states.
Amid high fuel prices, PAL’s direct parent firm, PAL Holdings, posted a total comprehensive loss for the nine months of its fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2011, of P3.6 billion, as passenger and cargo revenues declined 13 percent.—Paolo G. Montecillo

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 11:16
IF they get approval from the safety people, yes, competition is always good...plus fresh San Miguel served in-flight. :D

I've had a few flights on PAL when they operated the service in the past. I think it might be a long wait before this ever comes to fruition though.

RickyR
30th May 2012, 11:27
It'll be a while before they get EU approval, I really don't see it happening soon. PAL could make money on the route as they operate in a high density economy configuration and a cheap business class. Most European airlines rely on a full or almost full business class to boost the revenue for the flight, and make very little margin on economy. However the Philippines is a route which doesn't generate a great deal of business class traffic.

Terpe
30th May 2012, 11:32
I agree with previous comments, it could be quite some time before it actually happens.
However, it's a great move and I think that with the right schedule it would be a good business proposition.
Despite PAL not being anywhere on my airlines of choice I would take up chance. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

CBM
11th June 2012, 17:07
I will be delighted to see PAL back in the UK - they are a fine airline.

The EU ban has nothing to do with PAL - it's a Government to Government thing - the EU does not think that the Philippine Government's air safety regulation set up is up to the job. There is similar fuss going on in relation to seafarers certification.

Terpe
11th June 2012, 19:09
I will be delighted to see PAL back in the UK - they are a fine airline.

The EU ban has nothing to do with PAL - it's a Government to Government thing - the EU does not think that the Philippine Government's air safety regulation set up is up to the job. There is similar fuss going on in relation to seafarers certification.

Well said.
PAL has a good safety record and operates frequently on international routes.
I've never understood why the ban was imposed, especially at a time when no Philippine carriers were actually flying in to Europe.

Seem that there was some kind of spat between the governing/regulatory bodies.

Having said that it's surely up to the Philippine governing/regulatory body to reverse that decision.
I'm sure if PAL have a definite strategy to enter the European (UK) market the technical and safety audit difficulties can be overcome. But let's not forget that there's still quite a lot of 'political' issues to be 'forgiven' and forgotten between some individuals on both sides.

Sometime it's a funny old world:D

DaveW
16th July 2012, 18:46
I also read Cebu Pacific are looking to fly to Europe as soon as they recieve their new Airbus a330's. Doubt it will be the UK though.

RickyR
16th July 2012, 22:47
The A330 would probably not be able to make the range into London, although would probably make Southern Europe.
The problem is simply if and when the Philippines will have its black listing removed.

Air Asia have pulled its LCC Stansted-Kuala Lumpur route as they could not compete on the UK routes due to the high aviation taxes and levies.

Koala
17th July 2012, 00:15
Your right Terpe PAL does have a good safety record nowdays compared to the 1980's......Their maintenance to their aircraft is carried out by Lufthansa Technik and they also maintain some of the Qantas fleet as well.

I don't know who does the maintenance to the Cebu Pacific fleet

Trefor
17th July 2012, 08:59
Well said.
PAL has a good safety record and operates frequently on international routes.
I've never understood why the ban was imposed, especially at a time when no Philippine carriers were actually flying in to Europe.

Seem that there was some kind of spat between the governing/regulatory bodies.

Having said that it's surely up to the Philippine governing/regulatory body to reverse that decision.
I'm sure if PAL have a definite strategy to enter the European (UK) market the technical and safety audit difficulties can be overcome. But let's not forget that there's still quite a lot of 'political' issues to be 'forgiven' and forgotten between some individuals on both sides.

Sometime it's a funny old world:D

I think there is more to meeting the standards than just having planes not fall out of the sky for 2 years. Maintenance, documentation of maintenance, proof of safety and security measures and probably a lot more go into getting approval to not fall out of the sky over Europe. A good thing IMO. Fingers crossed PAL gets approval soon.

Trefor
17th July 2012, 09:02
The A330 would probably not be able to make the range into London, although would probably make Southern Europe.
The problem is simply if and when the Philippines will have its black listing removed.

Air Asia have pulled its LCC Stansted-Kuala Lumpur route as they could not compete on the UK routes due to the high aviation taxes and levies.

After recent government announcements I'm looking forward to more regional airports offering long haul flights in the near future. APD is still a killer though.

Isn't there an ER version of the A330 yet? This craft seems very popular with airlines now, even Virgin is rolling them out. I love them, as I'm sure you know Oman Air's planes are a lovely ride.

RickyR
17th July 2012, 12:41
the A330-200 is to some extent long range, but the originally proposed version designed for Singapore Airlines of an A330 ER was scrapped, and more focus on the A350 which will be more of a competitor against the 777.

Now Oman Air :-) Wish they flew to Manila, they are the best business class seat in the world, and of course working for the Government all company flights for vacations are booked on Oman Air where possible.

I genuinely will be surprised if we see CAAP removed from the blacklisting in the coming years, the problem lies with the management in the government regulatory CAAP not the airlines and that is why Europe are refusing to remove the blacklisting.

CBM
17th July 2012, 13:28
Exactly so.

There is an interesting parallel with the case of seafarers - the EU is (rightly) dissatisified with the Philippine Government's regulation of seafarer certification, and has threatened to ban Filipino seamen from Europe, but, because, unlike banning PAL, this would hurt, rather than benefit, companies in the EU, the ban has just been put off for another six months...

RickyR
17th July 2012, 13:38
Well the Philippines has major issues with it's seafarers. On the one hand you've got officers from some excellent academies trained to a high standard, and others studying out of a shack in a remote island and paying a small bridge to get a ticket. I've met both types, and there is a vast difference.

CBM
17th July 2012, 17:32
Yup. And then there are the training centres... the only one that actually FAILS people is IDESS, so that's the only one I will use. Unfortunately most manning agents think just the opposite and their Principals are too lazy or dishonest to check.

Ricky, the last time the EU delegation visited they did not even get to see most of the places on their list - they had a "security" issue, it seems.

Dedworth
17th July 2012, 19:50
Related thread and info re A330 here

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/35916-Cebu-Pacific-to-Enter-Low-Cost-Long-Haul-Market?highlight=cebu+pacific

lastlid
17th July 2012, 19:52
I hope that PAL invest in some 787 Dreamliners. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A nonstop flight from London to Manila would be great!

webclinician
17th July 2012, 20:11
It will be good but again it is the price that count nowadays.

lastlid
17th July 2012, 20:14
Yes. I am sure the seats would fill up, even at a higher price.

Terpe
17th July 2012, 21:00

For me (and maybe others) price itself is not the key.
If the cheaper price has a transit time exceeding what I want then I will pay more.
There are other considerations too, for me.
Sometimes cheap is not cheap :D

DaveW
27th July 2012, 19:53
Or buy just one, and fly direct to London 3 times a week!!