PDA

View Full Version : Phils visit over 21 days, any problem boarding airlines if you haven't got visa?

Iani
29th May 2012, 18:50
Hi

I couldn't find an answer to this one.

I'm off to Phils in October, and would probably want to stay 4 weeks.

Of course, this is over the 21 day visa free period, so an extension would be needed.

I've read all the threads on here on how to do this, it doesn't sound hard, apply soon as arrive, or soon after - but nevertheless a faf

However, I read in one place, a hint that if your return tickets were over 21 days, then you can be denied boarding.

Is this a definite? I'd probably fly Etihad, Qatar or Emirates, but thinking - if I used the online check-in, and printed my own boarding pass, then they wouldn't see the return section anyway?

It's just that - yes I could go to London and get a visa, or maybe apply by post - but it looks like they want all sorts of evidence, and counter-signed by some sort of official

Thanks anyway, thought this could be useful to anyone else reading if anyone knows the answer

lastlid
29th May 2012, 18:57
They check your passport as you leave, after checking in with the airline.....:Erm:

Iani
29th May 2012, 21:03
Oh, was I confusing :icon_lol: been a long day

I meant, if I had return tickets for over the 21 days period, they could deny boarding on the outward journey, so wouldn't get out there in the first place.

That's what I meant. I'd obviously extend it soon as I could out there. I know of course, you always get your passport checked before checking in.

Or actually, does anyone know if it's easier to apply here?

Yours confused

Steve.r
29th May 2012, 21:26
Getting an extention visa is so easy. You do it on arrival in manila. Line up in the immigration queue as normal, when you get to the officer, tell him you need a longer visa, he directs you to the door on the left. You go in, tell them you want to extend, they get the ok, you pay, then go back to the immigration line and wallop!! you get your stamp. I have done it a couple of times already. No hassle.

grahamw48
29th May 2012, 21:52
Oh, was I confusing :icon_lol: been a long day

I meant, if I had return tickets for over the 21 days period, they could deny boarding on the outward journey, so wouldn't get out there in the first place.

That's what I meant. I'd obviously extend it soon as I could out there. I know of course, you always get your passport checked before checking in.

Or actually, does anyone know if it's easier to apply here?

Yours confused

I've done that on many (most actually) occasions.

It's not a problem.
Sometimes I've had 1 year 'open' tickets.

irishman12
29th May 2012, 21:59
There is a proposal that the 21 day visa will be extended to 30 days but not sure when it will be -its best to contact the airline that you plan on flying to verify about possibility of being denied boarding but as long as you have return ticket -shouldnt be any problem -as mentioned you can extend at airport or in manila

irishman12
29th May 2012, 22:02
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/355008/visa-rules-finetuned-to-boost-tourism

Iani
29th May 2012, 22:20
Thanks for that :)
Its not the extending, it's if the airline might be snotty about letting you on. Not sure if it's worth contacting them though, as the people at check-in aren't necessarily the airline staff, as general staff from the airport.

Thanks anyway :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Be great if they extend that visa free period soon :icon_lol:

irishman12
29th May 2012, 22:53
of course the people at checkin are airline staff unless things have changed since last time i flew -will be checking in with emirates in a few weeks -if they are going to deny boarding -then they must have some documentation regarding it .

RickyR
29th May 2012, 23:26
I've flown in and out of the Philippines a lot. The airlines use an IATA database which tells them that you will only receive a visa for 21 days, and that they will deny boarding without it.
I've been asked for onward tickets with Asiana, Cathay and Singapore Airlines, in addition to Cebu Pacific in HK. I only once got asked by KLM. Asiana and Cathay were the strictest.
Generally its luck as to whether their system flags up to ask you or not, but if your unlucky you WILL be denied boarding.

This is even the case despite husband being able to get balakbayan visas and the possibility of getting extensions on arrival. When I was flying with Asiana, I lied and showed them my seamen discharge book, and said I'd be joining a ship in Manila so wouldn't need an onward ticket, and that took a lot of explaining. Think i was very close to having to pay for another ticket.

An easy route out is to book a ticket out of Clark to Kota Kinabalu (cost around 20-30 pounds) or get a fully refundable ticket and cancel it afterwards.

grahamw48
29th May 2012, 23:29
As far as the airline is concerned, when they land you in Manila you don't need a visa.

After that it's not their problem.

Yes, of course you need an onward (or return) ticket to satisfy Philippines immigration...and your carrier, but I don't think that is what you were asking.

Two different things.

RickyR
29th May 2012, 23:50
The reason the airline is so concerned about abiding the visa rules, is because if they deliver you to the Philippines and you're denied entry, they are responsible for repatriating you and will be fined.

grahamw48
29th May 2012, 23:59
I understand that, but as Brit you don't need a visa to enter the Phils.

You do however need an onward ticket.

As I said...two different things. :)

RickyR
30th May 2012, 00:01
ah Yes, i understand now Graham, the complicated scenario of Visa on Arrival.

fred
30th May 2012, 04:55
This is even the case despite husband being able to get balakbayan visas and the possibility of getting extensions on arrival.

I understand the OP`s worry and I think its high time that these airlines are given clear instructions by R.P immigration as to their requirements so they are no longer compelled to deny boarding.. Its a crazy situation to put people in.
I agree with what Graham has said and like him I have never experienced any problems.. That said I have in the past bought cheap throw away or refundable onward tickets to be sure..
BTW.. The Balikbayan privilege offered to us is not a Philippine visa.

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 09:52
Sometimes I've bought a ticket to Hong Kong, VIA Manila.

Of course in those days as a Brit' you could stay in HK forever if you wanted, so single ticket to there was ok.

Not sure what the HK entry situation is now, but easily looked up. I've a feeling you need an onward ticket for there now also.

Of course the OP has a return ticket anyway so that isn't what he was asking about.

Terpe
30th May 2012, 12:53
Hi

I couldn't find an answer to this one.

I'm off to Phils in October, and would probably want to stay 4 weeks.

Of course, this is over the 21 day visa free period, so an extension would be needed.

As Graham has mentioned, as a Brit you do not need a visa to gain entry to the Philippines. You do however need to have a return ticket.

Despite all the extremely unlikely possibilities, if you are at all concerned and feel happier to be safe, then you have plenty of time to organise a 59 day visa at the Philippines Embassy in London. (http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/visa)

The 59 day visa application form is here (http://philembassy-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/visaform2a_new.pdf)

Applicants who cannot appear in person may send their applications by post. The applications should be duly notarized by a Notary Public or Solicitor, who is authorized to legalize signatures. A selfaddressed, pre-paid or stamped special delivery envelope must be enclosed for the return of your passport.

jonnijon
30th May 2012, 12:55
I just got a single ticket to Davao, and an onward ticket for about two weeks later to Kota Kinabalu.
how much is it now to extend visa at the airport?

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 13:07
It will probably be about p3000 now, but google is your friend. :)

jonnijon
30th May 2012, 13:34
guess im a lazy git :NoNo::icon_lol:

Iani
30th May 2012, 18:34
Well I had a look on one of the airlines site, and their terms seem to suggest a visa isn't needed in the case of a UK person who can get a visa extension once over there.

Think I'll e-mail them once booked, then it's in writing. I'd maybe apply using the link above, but...........they want it signed by a solicitor? Seems a bit nuts if can avoid that :icon_lol:

Thanks again, help appreciated

gWaPito
2nd June 2012, 19:58
Getting an extention visa is so easy. You do it on arrival in manila. Line up in the immigration queue as normal, when you get to the officer, tell him you need a longer visa, he directs you to the door on the left. You go in, tell them you want to extend, they get the ok, you pay, then go back to the immigration line and wallop!! you get your stamp. I have done it a couple of times already. No hassle.
I wonder what the charge is? Cash or card?

irishman12
2nd June 2012, 20:45
according to this embassy website http://www.philembassy.se/consular-services/visa it is already possible for all countries listed to enter for 30 days without visa -so better check with uk embassy first as it still says 21 days there

irishman12
2nd June 2012, 20:46
I wonder what the charge is? Cash or card?

where are you asking about? if in manila -you will need peso

gWaPito
2nd June 2012, 21:38
where are you asking about? if in manila -you will need peso

My question was....the cost of having visa extended at airport ....as stated in quote by steve r......we normally have it done at the Swagman in Mabini, the downside going there is we have to come back at a later date to collect the passports.

Obviously more convenient doing it at airport. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Btw Swagman also take card....we always get peso's in Manila we just a few to pay for taxi....hence wanting to know how much airport customs want for the stamp :)

irishman12
2nd June 2012, 22:05
dont think it has anything to do with customs? immigration office -3030 peso

gWaPito
2nd June 2012, 22:27
dont think it has anything to do with customs? immigration office -3030 peso

Goodness me! Immigration, customs whatever. Best if you not got the answer ie how much does it cost to extend your standard 21 day visa.

I tend not to reply :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No matter Ill get my wife to give them a call :rolleyes:

grahamw48
2nd June 2012, 22:41
I read it as 3,030 pesos. :)

I'm going for 6 months end of October...just worked it all out on the back of a bit of paper an hour ago....about normal for me.

One day I just say :censored: it...I'm off. :D

irishman12
2nd June 2012, 22:41
cant u read? 3030peso there is no such thing as 21 day visa and now supposedly you can stay for 30days without visa:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
2nd June 2012, 22:43
Hey , come on guys.

It's all on blinkin google search anyway...no need to fall out over it. :NoNo:

gWaPito
3rd June 2012, 00:40
Hey , come on guys.

It's all on blinkin google search anyway...no need to fall out over it. :NoNo:

Good on ya Graham :) That's the time of year we generally depart these shores.

The airport fee about 50% more than the Swagman....when you multiple that by three, me and 2 babies that's the total cost of a one way internal flight to where we are heading.

No falling out here Graham :D I must admit, I do have trouble sometimes with my reading and spelling.....since this is not a book club, I hope my failings could be overlooked :)

gWaPito
3rd June 2012, 00:45
cant u read? 3030peso there is no such thing as 21 day visa and now supposedly you can stay for 30days without visa:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers Irishman 12 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
3rd June 2012, 01:24
No falling out here Graham :D I must admit, I do have trouble sometimes with my reading and spelling.....since this is not a book club, I hope my failings could be overlooked :)

Wid me itts totullly depedant onmy cinsumpshun of alcahil. :Cuckoo:

Iani
3rd June 2012, 09:45
You worked it out on a bit of paper Graham?

How posh!

The traditional way to work these out is on either the back of a fag packet, or a peeled back beermat.

Extra kudos to those who have the balls to send in their tax returns on one of these :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
3rd June 2012, 09:52
Haha.

That reminds me of when I used to work at the Unemployment Benefit Office and a claimant sent in her letter of appeal written on 12 pages of Bronco toilet roll ....the shiny one, and the cardboard backs off 3 writing pads. :icon_lol:

What she had written was also hilarious (eccentric lady).

I duly pinned her written submission to the appropriate form and sent it off for consideration by higher authority. :D

tanga
17th July 2012, 14:12
according to this embassy website http://www.philembassy.se/consular-services/visa it is already possible for all countries listed to enter for 30 days without visa -so better check with uk embassy first as it still says 21 days there

I was paying my immigration fees at NAIA on submission of my ACR card last May on an overseas trip. The woman in front had also read that Philippines offered 30 day visa waiver.Unfortunately she did not check the stamp in her passport and was being fined for overstaying.She wasn't happy and stated her case most vociferously.That was 29 May perhaps the new arrangement is now in force

As regards the OPs question. I do know of a British guy who had booked a flight with Emirates with a return date of 7 weeks from the departure. The airline asked for his visa which he could not provide. He had to change his return date to within 21 days which was £75 then later change it back which was free

If you were travelling from a regional airport in Asia you could have a problem. I think if you check in online and print your boarding passes you have a sporting chance.Just have a plan B ready such as a laptop to book the cheapest "throwaway" ticket from Manila or Clark(Kota Kinabalu for instance)
I think its about P3000 or just over to extend your visa on arrival for another 59 days

imagine
17th July 2012, 14:25
I think its about P3000 or just over to extend your visa on arrival for another 59 days

is the 59 days the total days including the 31 ?

Terpe
17th July 2012, 15:27
is the 59 days the total days including the 31 ?

Yes Stewart, 59 days total.
You can't extend additional 59.
It's 21 day waiver plus 38 day extension

imagine
17th July 2012, 15:46
Yes Stewart, 59 days total.
You can't extend additional 59.
It's 21 day waiver plus 38 day extension

thanks terpe i thought so, just seeing the (for another 59 days) promted me to look for second opinion :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
18th July 2012, 00:18
Just remember guys, after 59 days you have to have the ACR card with your next extension, about 4000 peso in all.

London_Manila
18th July 2012, 03:18
I recently spent 21 nights in the Philippines

i used Cathay Pacific London Hong Kong Manila going Clark Hong Kong London coming back

Even though Dragon airways is part of Cathay Pacific they still made a big deal about it when i checked in at London Heathrow

how long you going for?
do you have a visa?

When i informed them that i had a confirmed departure dated ticket with Dragon Airways for my return they then backed off a bit
They should have known that already !

I can recomend Clark airport to everyone who wants to avoid the hassle of using NAIA Manila

DaveW
27th July 2012, 20:17

Still 21 days. I have overstayed on two occasions now and been allowed to fly back to London without a fine. It was only a few days over. I think i got lucky.
Anyway, just arrive in Philippines and near to the day of your 21 expiring, apply for the extension. No big deal

irishman12
28th July 2012, 20:41
yes u got very lucky What will happen in practice can vary a lot.

I have heard of some people being allowed to depart after only paying the P3030 extension fee.
Officially you can expect to be directed to the nearest office of the bureau of immigration to arrange your extension. Which could mean you will not be flying that day.
This should be your maximum requirements

- 38 day visa waiver extension P3030
- P500 fine
- P510 motion for consideration so is it really worth chancing it?

andy222
28th July 2012, 21:21
There is no rush getting a visa extension as long as you do it before your 21 days are up. I think my extension was p3500 last year. Good luck with your trip.:xxgrinning--00xx3: Oh and by the way if you overstay you might not get to the airplane you either pay up or get chucked in prison.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
28th July 2012, 21:38
how do you work it out, flights and visa?

if you book 3 weeks return, (21)days, you arrive on the second day ,

what i mean , say your flight is on the 1st of a month, you arrive on the 2nd get 21 day visa stamp so thats 1st day of visa, so when should your return flight be, if you left uk on the 1st , do you get 21 day return or 22 day return:Erm: ?

andy222
29th July 2012, 07:04
The 21 days starts on the day you get there stuart.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
29th July 2012, 09:10
The 21 days starts on the day you get there stuart.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks andy, so my flights i can book return flight on 22nd (outbound being 1st) which means im traveling back on 21st day of visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

just want to squeeze as much as i can out of it, no point returning a day sooner than needed

irishman12
29th July 2012, 13:24
if ur arriving on 2nd -day 1 of ur visa will end on 3rd and so on for 21 days -so therefore flight home should be on 23rd

imagine
29th July 2012, 14:56
if ur arriving on 2nd -day 1 of ur visa will end on 3rd and so on for 21 days -so therefore flight home should be on 23rd