PDA

View Full Version : Danger!! Danger!!

Admin
7th September 2005, 08:58
The wife's applied for a driving license....stay out of Wales :lol:

Pauldo
7th September 2005, 09:04
Mine is having a driving lesson, today, in the Midlands, so beware :o

She took her 'theory' a month ago and passed with flying colours, MUCH to the amazement of everybody, including herself ;)

Admin
7th September 2005, 09:05
Blimey....it's only safe to drive in Scotland :lol:

walesrob
7th September 2005, 09:10
Originally posted by admin@Sep 7 2005, 08:58 AM
The wife's applied for a driving license....stay out of Wales :lol:

Quoted post

I seem to meet a lot of drivers that are either lost, blind or downright stupid. My favourite one is the lost holidaymaker going round the roundabout 3 times in Aberystwyth debating which turn off to take. Then theres the travelling salesman stopping his car middle of the road asking a passer-by asking for directions to Mack-en-leth? Oh you mean Machynlleth? :lol: :lol:

Admin
7th September 2005, 09:13
Rob, if English people ever get to Aberystwyth then they are well & truly lost :lol:

Pauldo
7th September 2005, 12:07
Originally posted by admin@Sep 7 2005, 09:13 AM
Rob, if English people ever get to Aberystwyth then they are well & truly lost :lol:

Quoted post

My women and I went to Aberystwyth a couple of months ago, on our way to Portmadoch (sp?) I had a nice relaxing couple of days, in a nice quiet hotel, run by an old lady, on a real quiet secluded beach, with no pubs B)

My wife told everybody it was boring :huh:

We also went on that mini steam train from Porthmadoch. (But we were on the diesel version :huh: :blink: :o )

£35 for an hours ride??? Coulda taken a taxi for that said the wife :D ;)

Admin
7th September 2005, 14:24
Could have bought a taxi for that in the Phil :mellow:

Pauldo
8th September 2005, 07:14
Originally posted by admin@Sep 7 2005, 02:24 PM
Could have bought a taxi for that in the Phil :mellow:

Quoted post

I remember when my wife took her driving test in the Philippines, about five years ago. I think the total cost was about £22 all in :o

Mind you, when they teach them such things as how to overtake on the hard shoulder of the 'motorway', or how to push out into a stream of moving traffic etc, I think it was probably a well spent £22 :D

One good thing was they make them drive a whole variety of cars, during the lessons, rather than do everything in just one vehicle. More the fact that they use what is available, or can be stolen, on the day of each lesson I suppose, than some sort of superior driving plan ;) :rolleyes:

Am I cynical, or what :rolleyes:

Admin
8th September 2005, 09:18
1000's of listed driving schools, and can we find a female driver prepared to come to our little village? Nope :angry:

Now we have to a get a male one, with my scouse introduction that if he so much as looks at her the wrong way, he'll be passing his own testicles :lol:

peterdavid
8th September 2005, 10:48
Originally posted by admin@Sep 8 2005, 08:18 AM
1000's of listed driving schools, and can we find a female driver prepared to come to our little village? Nope :angry:

Now we have to a get a male one, with my scouse introduction that if he so much as looks at her the wrong way, he'll be passing his own testicles :lol:

Quoted post

Guys, this is quite timely. My wife has got her provisional, but we've yet to do anything about lessons. It's been so long since my own test (back when I was 17) that I know nothing about the current requirements. Does she need to pass the theory test BEFORE taking lessons, and/or, is it advisable she does this first anyway in order to minimise the cost/duration of physcial driving lessons before the test?

Also - anyone able to recommend any decent driving schools in N London who won't (a) rip you off with a minimum 40 plus lessons before the test and (B) spend the full hour with an instructor staring at her legs instead of teaching her to drive.

What#'s the going rate for a lesson these days - £20 an hour...?

Admin
8th September 2005, 10:53
Get yourself this, well worth the money http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/det...4489955-7861457 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000A6BBIE/all/202-4489955-7861457)

You want the £16.30 one, the Amazon price is an error, and you won't get it. I even discovered a few things & I've been driving for 20 years.

Stick to one of the bigger driving schools with a female instructor, AA are expensive at £23, but BSM are a little cheaper. You get discount if you buy in bulk.

peterdavid
8th September 2005, 10:56
Originally posted by admin@Sep 8 2005, 09:53 AM
Get yourself this, well worth the money http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/det...4489955-7861457 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000A6BBIE/all/202-4489955-7861457)

You want the £16.30 one, the Amazon price is an error, and you won't get it. I even discovered a few things & I've been driving for 20 years.

Stick to one of the bigger driving schools with a female instructor, AA are expensive at £23, but BSM are a little cheaper. You get discount if you buy in bulk.

Quoted post

Theory test before lessons? Or lessons before theory test?

Admin
8th September 2005, 10:59
You do the lessons first, the instructor will take her through the theory, and the car parts, etc, but those CD's have the lot, including every question on the theory test, and all the vidoes of what to encounter in the test. Learn it all, and passing is a breeze, and they are cheaper than a lesson.

I'd give her 2 weeks with that software before letting her on the road.

peterdavid
8th September 2005, 11:15
Originally posted by admin@Sep 8 2005, 09:59 AM
You do the lessons first, the instructor will take her through the theory, and the car parts, etc, but those CD's have the lot, including every question on the theory test, and all the vidoes of what to encounter in the test. Learn it all, and passing is a breeze, and they are cheaper than a lesson.

I'd give her 2 weeks with that software before letting her on the road.

Quoted post

She's had similar software for a while and been going through it. She's got more stamina than me - a quick flick through the first 5 pages of the highway code comprised the entirety of my 'theory learning' before the test.

Pauldo
8th September 2005, 12:09
Originally posted by peterdavid@Sep 8 2005, 10:56 AM
Theory test before lessons? Or lessons before theory test?

Quoted post

My wife did driving lessons for months and studied the theory CD at the same time, then took the theory test when I finally blaggarded her into it with the threat of no more lessons. She's just about ready for her driving test now I think.

I don't really think somebody could pass the theory test without having ANY driving experience/lessons.

She's had three different instructors now, but the current one is a woman and seems really cool. It's £20 a lesson, but you only get 50 minutes driving, though there always seems to be a few minutes parked up and waffling at the start and end, apparently discussing what they are going to do during the lesson.

A good command of the English language is fairly necessary here, as our local neighbourhood Indonesian girl is finding out. Both her English words are of no use in driving: 'food', and 'eat' :D ;)

walesrob
8th September 2005, 13:23
Aberystwyth is a funny kinda place...its like the end of the world...beyond Aberystwyth is nothing but sea. Reminds of a song by Blur "This is a Low" :lol:

Aberystwyth or Lampeter are probably the best places in the whole of the UK to learn to drive. Why? Its cheaper - my younger brother was charged only £12.50 per lesson, then theres the nice empty roads (except during caravan hell season).

peterdavid
8th September 2005, 14:15
Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 8 2005, 11:09 AM

A good command of the English language is fairly necessary here, as our local neighbourhood Indonesian girl is finding out. Both her English words are of no use in driving: 'food', and 'eat' :D ;)

Quoted post

I'm not worried about the english language aspect, as my wife is pretty fluent (she's the only person I know who can genuinely beat me in scrabble, it's really embarrassing), I'm more concerned about the ability to remember which is left and which is right. What is it with women and directions?

Admin
9th September 2005, 09:44
Mine doesn't know stop from go :o