PDA

View Full Version : living the dream

stevewool
27th May 2012, 10:37
looking at many many sites about moving to the phils, and they all have the one thing in commen, you should try to visit there first for a few months before you make any comitments, the biggest problem is when they talk about cost, this ranges from 500 dollars to as much as you want, some say after a few months, years it can be very cheap because you have become native as they say.1 chap who writes his own stuff says he can live on 380 dollars for 2 , some months cheaper some months more, it all depends on what you want, his site shows you what he pays also he talks about insurance too, very intresting reading, and as they say every little helps

Steve.r
27th May 2012, 11:38
All depends on how you want to live Steve, either try to avoid all the trappings of a western style life or have all the bells a whistles. Also, I think it would help if you have a means of self support there too, like a business that can support you. If you have nothing here to rent out and live off the income, then you need that as a pension..unless you are very fortunate will not be enough.

Terpe
28th May 2012, 10:27
There are many stories of ex-pats who live a good and meaningful life in the Philippines, and almost as many about those who suffer due to lack of funds.

An 'income stream' is the key.
Living solely off savings is quite a gamble ( although it does depend on just how much savings you have and how long you live for)

Cash itself just does not 'appreciate' enough

Just my 2 centavos

stevewool
28th May 2012, 14:14
to me thats the only problem i cannot work out, how long i shall live for, so really i am basing all my figures on 30 years plus from reaching 60 years of age, i have my own house either to rent or sell and i hope to have around 100,000 savings too, i am also thinking of buying another property to rent out but i am undersided about that, i know myself i will have enough, i dont want much out there just a nice life,