PDA

View Full Version : Baguio

lastlid
21st May 2012, 14:34
I have of course heard of Baguio and my wife often talks of it as she has visited it a few times. She always described it as cold. :icon_lol: And before coming here she thought the UK and Isle of Man would be the same. Little did she know. :icon_lol:

But little did I know. Whilst I took my wifes word for it I couldn't comprehend why it was so cool there or exactly how cool it actually was. Until i looked it up last night. And of course the answer is in its altitude, not its latitude.

I notice its average lows are in January of about 11 degrees C although it can reach averages of 22 degrees C in the same month. And doesn't really get much above 25 degrees outwith that.

So quite different to the rest of the country then? Temperatures I tend to prefer.....

She also talked of strange tribal peoples there?

Arthur Little
21st May 2012, 14:41
Temperatures I tend to prefer.....

... me, too!! ;)

Arthur Little
21st May 2012, 14:48
:iagree: ... MY wife regularly attended Teacher Training Camps in Baguio - where the [considerably] cooler temperatures meant woollens were pretty the order of the day.

fred
21st May 2012, 17:26
Ive been there a few times..Even bought some land there about 20 years ago...or more.. (for sale now at 10 times what I payed....Interested?)
I was there 2 weeks ago and yes it is a relief to get out of the bus and experience a much lower temp with almost zero humidity. No need for A/C up there whatsoever in fact many residences up there have fire places..
Not what it was 25 years ago...Pollution is bad on Sessions road and traffic is far more than I expected it to be.. Far too many people in the town center and at tourist spots.. Get out of town to places like the Strawberry farm and its a different story... Quite tranquil etc..
We were at Tagaytay yesterday and the temperatures seemed pretty simillar...
Couldnt believe it...Walked passed a five star hotel with a view of the Volcano.. Happy hour was drink all the SMB you could for only 180.00 PHP!!! Fried Calamari was exellent!!
Hotel Vista...If memory serves me right...(Not that I remember much)

joebloggs
21st May 2012, 19:09
i've been there to, glad i had my jacket/coat with me, yes it was that cold :36_1_26[1]: it's warmer in sunny Salford than Baguio

fred
21st May 2012, 19:34
i've been there to, glad i had my jacket/coat with me, yes it was that cold :36_1_26[1]: it's warmer in sunny Salford than Baguio

Joe.. Stop exaggerating!!! Its so obvious!!
Nowhere seems as cold as Salford.. Even in the "summer"!

lastlid
21st May 2012, 19:52
Ive been there a few times..Even bought some land there about 20 years ago...or more.. (for sale now at 10 times what I payed....Interested?)
I was there 2 weeks ago and yes it is a relief to get out of the bus and experience a much lower temp with almost zero humidity. No need for A/C up there whatsoever in fact many residences up there have fire places..
Not what it was 25 years ago...Pollution is bad on Sessions road and traffic is far more than I expected it to be.. Far too many people in the town center and at tourist spots.. Get out of town to places like the Strawberry farm and its a different story... Quite tranquil etc..
We were at Tagaytay yesterday and the temperatures seemed pretty simillar...
Couldnt believe it...Walked passed a five star hotel with a view of the Volcano.. Happy hour was drink all the SMB you could for only 180.00 PHP!!! Fried Calamari was exellent!!
Hotel Vista...If memory serves me right...(Not that I remember much)

I am just curious. Trying to learn more about the Philippines. Join up the dots etc. If I was to retire to the Philippines then I would be interested in a slightly cooler climate. I spent a lot of time in the middle east and one or two other tropical countries and the novelty of 30 degrees wore off a long time ago.

joebloggs
21st May 2012, 20:07
Joe.. Stop exaggerating!!! Its so obvious!!
Nowhere seems as cold as Salford.. Even in the "summer"!

who exaggerating, i had my jacket on most of the time :doh

born in Salford, and i've been to Baguio so i think i know how cold it was :rolleyes:

fred
21st May 2012, 20:31
I am just curious. Trying to learn more about the Philippines. Join up the dots etc. If I was to retire to the Philippines then I would be interested in a slightly cooler climate. I spent a lot of time in the middle east and one or two other tropical countries and the novelty of 30 degrees wore off a long time ago.

OK,so Baguio and Tagaytay should be the first places on your list to visit.. IMO.
Expect higher than normal land and rental prices though..

lastlid
21st May 2012, 20:36
OK,so Baguio and Tagaytay should be the first places on your list to visit.. IMO.
Expect higher than normal land and rental prices though..

I have been to Tagaytay. My wife is from Cavite. We took a day trip there during my first trip to the Philippines. I particularly wanted to go there to see the volcano...

fred
21st May 2012, 20:48
I have been to Tagaytay. My wife is from Cavite. We took a day trip there during my first trip to the Philippines. I particularly wanted to go there to see the volcano...

Oh right!! Ive been in Cavite for the last two months at these apartments in Imus.. Here..
http://www.stanleyhouse.co.nr/

So didnt you notice the temperature drop in Tagaytay??

lastlid
21st May 2012, 20:57
Oh right!! Ive been in Cavite for the last two months at these apartments in Imus.. Here..
http://www.stanleyhouse.co.nr/

So didnt you notice the temperature drop in Tagaytay??

Well, now that you mention it, maybe I did. I was highly focussed on the inlaws, pretty much the first day that I met many of them. I presume not a big drop though....it certainly seemed a lot warmer than evidently Baguio is. I presume they are at different heights above sea level? ( The wife just said "Tagaytay isnt cold like Baguio" )

When we visit next, probably after ILR then we will look for somewhere to stay near Dasmarinas. Last time we stayed at Island Cove.

My wife used to live in Bayan Luma. And went to Imus Pilot school...

fred
21st May 2012, 21:05
Stay at our place!!! Link above.
Not sure about the difference in temp but we walked nearly 5 miles in Tagaytay yesterday and the lack of humidity made it very possible.. Hard work anywhere else here.:cwm3:
Cheers,
Fred.

lastlid
21st May 2012, 21:16
Stay at our place!!! Link above.
Not sure about the difference in temp but we walked nearly 5 miles in Tagaytay yesterday and the lack of humidity made it very possible.. Hard work anywhere else here.:cwm3:
Cheers,
Fred.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks.

WhiteBloodAda
29th June 2012, 21:11
Tagaytay was bloody hot when I went there, not much cooler than the 30c+ we left behind in Manila. Baguio on the other hand was still too hot, like a very hot English day. Which although alot cooler than Manila, and the fact we had no fan or A/C at night was nice, it was still too hot for me. But if i was to move to Phil, then that would be top of my list to live

lastlid
29th June 2012, 21:12
Tagaytay was bloody hot when I went there, not much cooler than the 30c+ we left behind in Manila. Baguio on the other hand was still too hot, like a very hot English day. Which although alot cooler than Manila, and the fact we had no fan or A/C at night was nice, it was still too hot for me. But if i was to move to Phil, then that would be top of my list to live

Interesting observation. Thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

WhiteBloodAda
29th June 2012, 21:15
But I must warn you, I hate the heat. I'd happily move to Greenland :icon_lol::icon_lol:

CBM
29th June 2012, 21:37
Baguio was developed by the Americans in Taft's day (remember, it was Taft Boulevard before it was Roxas Boulevard!) as their version of Simla in British India - a "hill station" where the wives and families of colonial officials could escape the stifling heat of Manila.

Taft cabled the Colonial Secretaty in Washington, Elihu Root to say he had ridden up to Baguio and was feeling much better - Root cabled back "How is horse?" The picture shows why...

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/taft-and-strong-horse.jpg

and for completeness here is Governor Taft on a carabao:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UHTVbPreyss/TrnuT_1O9nI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/pEXDKrUPqDA/s1600/WILLIAM%252520H%252520TAFT%252520ON%252520CARABAO.jpg

imagine
30th June 2012, 09:10
joe.. Stop exaggerating!!! Its so obvious!!
Nowhere seems as cold as salford.. Even in the "summer"!

aberdeen :d

lastlid
30th June 2012, 09:34
aberdeen :d

By a country mile...:icon_lol:

The coldest football ground in the UK. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
30th June 2012, 10:48
tagatay was a nice place to see and the view of the volcano was worth the trip, land prices to high , unless you want no view at all,