PDA

View Full Version : Best seat positions on planes?

South-east boy
13th May 2012, 17:38
Right, I'm flying on Thursday with Cathay Pacific and I can choose my seats from 12.30 mid-day onwards on Tuesday. The last time I flew was over 30 years ago, so I don't know much about which areas are good or bad for seating!

I was hoping to choose a seat at the front of a block so would be able to stretch my legs out a bit more if needed and also could get a window seat and not have to squeeze past neighbouring passengers. But do those seats at the front of blocks always have an extra charge for more leg-room? If so, then I'll probably go for an aisle seat and have a window sat on the 2nd plane from Hong Kong to Manila as that is only a short flight.

Can I also choose the seat on the 2nd plane from Hong Kong to Manila at the same time as the 1st plane? Or do I have to wait until 48 hours before that plane flies?

Is any area of the plane noiser or quieter if it's in front of or behind the engines/wings? What areas are not so good in your experience?

Which areas would be a good area to sit on these planes?

This is the seat map on my first plane:
http://www.seatplans.com/files/Seat-Plans/Cathay-Pacific/CP_B747400_NewProduct.jpg

and this is the seat map on my 2nd plane:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cathay_Pacific_Airways/Cathay_Pacific_Airways_Boeing_777-300.php?Orig=HKG&Dest=MNL&Date=

Thanks for any help!

lastlid
13th May 2012, 17:41
I always go for an aisle seat on longhaul flights as I like to get up regularly and have a walk around etc etc. Being just over 6ft I too try and get a seat with extra legroom. Sometimes it can be at the exits or at the front of a block like you said. No extra charge in either case.

Terpe
13th May 2012, 17:54
I too always grab an aisle for the very same reason as lastlid. Also much easier to pop to the CR whenever. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you can get a seat near an emergency exit there is extra-leg room, some airlines may charge a little extra.

The ones at the front of a block often get used for those with small children/babies as a cot can be used on the bulkhead wall. So yes there may be extra leg room, but there may also be some "baby disturbance".

We all have our own preferences for different reasons.

Dedworth
13th May 2012, 18:02
When we went on Cathay I had a centre aisle seat row 33ish - near to the galley to keep getting more beer and pot noodles :)

grahamw48
13th May 2012, 18:25
The strongest part of the plane is over the wings....if you crash. :)

malchard888
13th May 2012, 18:29
take a look at this website page, hopefully u will be able to make a good choice if the best seats are still available:-

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cathay_Pacific_Airways/Cathay_Pacific_Airways_Boeing_747-400_B.php

Malcolm:)

stevewool
13th May 2012, 18:47
i always try and get the back two seats and near to the window too, gives you lots more room and you may get no one next to you also,

joebloggs
13th May 2012, 18:49
take a look at this website page, hopefully u will be able to make a good choice if the best seats are still available:-

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cathay_Pacific_Airways/Cathay_Pacific_Airways_Boeing_747-400_B.php

:xxgrinning--00xx3: great web page Malcolm

as there was 4 of us, we reserved 2 sets of seats in rows 67 and 68, so we could have an aisle seat or have a window seat:rolleyes:

stevewool
13th May 2012, 18:50
once you have done your booking online you dont have to print off your details, just have the number with you, just go straight to online cheaking at the airport , no queues, and enjoy no stress, also make sure you do the online booking for your return trip, we did ours on the mobile phone and just got to the airport with out any print offs, straight to the online cheaking desk and no queues again, life is good sometimes:)

Iani
13th May 2012, 18:51
Thank you Graham!! :icon_lol:

Well I would always suggest an aisle seat, so you can have a walk around, and if you need the toilets, you aren't asking people to move.
However........something else to consider is how long your flight is, and at what time. If you get a window seat, you can more likely position yourself into a decent sleeping position. Even better of course if the flight isn't full and you can get a couple of seats to yourself, but this is very hit and miss as to when it happens.

Yes babies, it must be one of those laws of physics that every long haul night flight has to have a baby on it ;) They don't bother me personally THAT much, but to some people......well that's an entirely different thread, let's not go there.

Now if you are bothered by turbulence, then the most stable area is near the wings. The rear of the plane can by comparison be like a big dipper. I actually put this to the test on a bumpy flight once, walking to the end and there is definitely a difference, more of a wobble at the rear (sounds like a dodgy curry aftermath that)

I've never been able to choose a seat near a block end with the extra leg room, and suspect the airlines sell these at a premium, but I'm not that tall anyway, so it's nothing to me - might be with you, only you will know.

stevewool
13th May 2012, 18:55
when we went to the online bookin with cathy we asked fro any better seat, aand they gave us the seats upfront, really these are for families with babies , they have the pull down cots, they said if someone comes with babies we would have to give them up but they did not and to tell the truth the seats at the back where just as good, but seating at the front you did get your food first:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

RickyR
13th May 2012, 19:54
I can't remember with Cathay whether you can checkin for both flights at tT-48hrs for the first one, with most you can but I think Cathay is included, you'll find out at the time.

Seating wise, Cathay charges for the leg room seats unfortuntely.

Personally I only take Aisle seats when travelling economy, I hate being squashed in and like to drink plenty of water when flying.

andy222
13th May 2012, 21:16
Anyone flew on a 747-400?. My first time on one tomorrow. I have only been on 777-300 before.:yikes:

lastlid
13th May 2012, 21:19
Anyone flew on a 747-400?. My first time on one tomorrow. I have only been on 777-300 before.:yikes:

I have been on a 747 quite a few times but can't remember what version. They are definitely big and with that upper deck on and all. Wider across the middle, I think.

Have a look at this.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_747-300_7431.php

There's normally a bar, band, snooker table etc on the top deck....:laugher:

lastlid
13th May 2012, 21:40

BTW, have a good one.

What bag did you go for in the end?

andy222
13th May 2012, 21:52
Oh my wife wanted me to take some things over for her mate.:doh. I just bought a cheap case in the end. Thanks for the advice though mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
13th May 2012, 21:54
Looks a bit of a beast that plane. I hope it gets me there.:icon_lol:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_747-400_7442.php. Obviously the top deck is for the the rich.:hubbahubba:

lastlid
13th May 2012, 21:57
Looks a bit of a beast that plane. I hope it gets me there.:icon_lol:

I always thought that too. How on earth does this :censored: er stay in the air? But I believe they stand on their good record. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
13th May 2012, 22:01
Yes I heard a radio program a while back and there was a retired pilot on there. His motto was. If it aint BOING iM NOT GOING.

Moy
13th May 2012, 22:08
:yikes::laugher:

Doc Alan
13th May 2012, 22:30
I take this chance to wish you a great trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
In addition to the good advice already given on booking the best seats, I suggest that you log on to the Cathy Pacific website - http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_GB/homepage - as your top priority on Tuesday at 12.30 pm :Hellooo: !
• Click on “ Manage Your Trip “ then from the drop down menu “ Manage My Booking “
• Select the button for “ Non-Member of Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles
• Enter your name exactly as booked, together with either Booking Reference Number OR eticket Number ( which presumably you already have, and should have printed in duplicate for security :xxgrinning--00xx3: )
• Select button for Hong Kong flight ( and then repeat for Manila flight )
• Click on “ My Details “ then “ Seat/Other Services “
• You should be able to book your chosen seats for both these flights at the same time :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
• The reason for booking your seats as soon after 12.30 pm as possible is that you will get the best choice of seats which are still available :). Seats with extra legroom will not be available ( unless you pay about 75 GBP extra for each flight ) . Similarly new Premium Economy seats have been recently fitted on some of the Cathay Pacific Long Haul flights to Hong Kong – they are the best but only available at a premium of at least 600 GBP. Once you have booked your seat(s) you can print your Self-Print Boarding Pass or send Mobile Boarding Pass to your mobile device for the flight to Hong Kong.

Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

irishman12
13th May 2012, 22:32

good luck /safe trip

grahamw48
13th May 2012, 22:45
It's the 747-400 that has the paired seats at the back with loads of extra room next to the window....but near the toilets. :Erm:

My boy was always a well-behaved baby on the plane...quiet as mouse. :)

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9228/meandrichonplane.jpg

Moy
13th May 2012, 22:47
:D:Rasp:

andy222
14th May 2012, 07:00
Thanks all I cant wait to see my mahal. My stepdaughter has been marking off the calender. :icon_lol:. Bless her.

KeithD
14th May 2012, 08:23

Apart from they are full of highly explosive fuel :rolleyes: Safest place is at the back .... and if you are going to crash, face the back, survival rates are higher. The reason they ask you to bend forward is not to improve your survival but to ensure they find your teeth in one piece so they can recognise you :D

i always try and get the back two seats and near to the window too, gives you lots more room and you may get no one next to you also,

I always aim for the back (see above), no hassle getting people to move if your in a double with the missus, as far away from babies as possible, and book a 'special meal' that way you get to the loo before everyone else after you've eaten :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Being at the back usually means you can sneak into the loo just before you land :)

Now if you are bothered by turbulence, then the most stable area is near the wings. The rear of the plane can by comparison be like a big dipper. I actually put this to the test on a bumpy flight once, walking to the end and there is definitely a difference, more of a wobble at the rear (sounds like a dodgy curry aftermath that).

Turbulence isn't really a problem on fly-by-wire planes, you will notice it on a 747 though, but you don't get much on a 777 or Airbus.

Yes, it flies well unless it crashes :rolleyes:

grahamw48
14th May 2012, 09:46
Interesting account of the first 747 crash here: :)

http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safety_Issues/others/Nairobi747Crash.html

RickyR
14th May 2012, 10:01
Slightly off topic. But the Air France 747-400's have economy upstairs (unlike most airlines where business is upstairs). and it's sooo much better. It seems like a much smaller more private cabin and you have very very big window storage boxes to place your stuff and spread out onto. I flew on one to Rio a few years back.

In fact they've also done the same on the new A380, so sitting upstairs in economy with a window seat gives you a decent advantage over downstairs!

Arthur Little
14th May 2012, 10:53
You've had a lot of very useful tips, Tim. Being 6ft tall, ample legroom is obviously one of MY main considerations. Likewise, I recommend choosing an aisle seat on long haul flights ... so that you can get up and down easily - both when you need a :piss2: and whenever you want to stretch your limbs - without disturbing passengers next to you.

Also, have a supply of sweets [boilings are best!!!] for sucking on ... to relieve the less than pleasant pressure effects frequently felt on take-off and landing.

And - most importantly - treasure every moment spent in the company of your mahal. :lovecouple:

Bon Voyage, my friend. :airline:

grahamw48
14th May 2012, 11:28
...and people living near Heathrow complain.

When I lived in Hong Kong they were still using the nervous flier's nightmare...Kai Tak. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyU9OLqQ8XA&feature=relmfu

joebloggs
14th May 2012, 13:23
right about ordering the special meal, i try and order a kids meal for myself :D if not a veggy one :doh

as for your son Graham, soon as the plane started to take off, little joe started shouting 'wer'e going to crash, we're all going to die :yikes:' :icon_lol: little :censored: wouldn't shut up :xxparty-smiley-004: and when we landed he shouted out 'see i told you we would be ok!' :doh

Arthur Little
14th May 2012, 13:37
Air France 747-400's have economy upstairs

:olddude: ... so, too, does Singapore Airlines ... as, the second time I travelled with them, I was offered a spacious, Economy Class seat upstairs. Marvellous! ;)

South-east boy
14th May 2012, 13:39

Yup, that site is quite handy, that's where I got the seat plan for my 2nd flight on the 777 from, but it didn't come up with the seat plan for my 1st flight on the 747-400 when I typed in the flight no.-it was there, but in grey, so coulnd't open anything, but I found it in Cathay's plane list on there.

With the yellow seats where it says some draw-backs, does it mean that it's better than the standard white coloured seats or not as good?

On the 747-400, http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cathay_Pacific_Airways/Cathay_Pacific_Airways_Boeing_747-400_B.php with seat rows 66,67 and 68 near the back where they only have 2 seats on the outside, there looks like a fair bit of room between the window-side seat and the outside of the plane, does this mean that you can get out that way if you had the window seat or would you have to still get past the person next to you on the aisle side?

I want a window seat from Hong Kong to Manila on the 777-300 for sure as it's only a short flight, so I probably won't need to get out much and I want to see some views!

South-east boy
14th May 2012, 13:43
I take this chance to wish you a great trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
In addition to the good advice already given on booking the best seats, I suggest that you log on to the Cathy Pacific website - http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_GB/homepage - as your top priority on Tuesday at 12.30 pm :Hellooo: !
• Click on “ Manage Your Trip “ then from the drop down menu “ Manage My Booking “
• Select the button for “ Non-Member of Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles
• Enter your name exactly as booked, together with either Booking Reference Number OR eticket Number ( which presumably you already have, and should have printed in duplicate for security :xxgrinning--00xx3: )
• Select button for Hong Kong flight ( and then repeat for Manila flight )
• Click on “ My Details “ then “ Seat/Other Services “
• You should be able to book your chosen seats for both these flights at the same time :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
• The reason for booking your seats as soon after 12.30 pm as possible is that you will get the best choice of seats which are still available :). Seats with extra legroom will not be available ( unless you pay about 75 GBP extra for each flight ) . Similarly new Premium Economy seats have been recently fitted on some of the Cathay Pacific Long Haul flights to Hong Kong – they are the best but only available at a premium of at least 600 GBP. Once you have booked your seat(s) you can print your Self-Print Boarding Pass or send Mobile Boarding Pass to your mobile device for the flight to Hong Kong.

Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Thanks Alan!:xxgrinning--00xx3: That helps a lot! :)

grahamw48
14th May 2012, 14:10
with seat rows 66,67 and 68 near the back where they only have 2 seats on the outside, there looks like a fair bit of room between the outside seat and the outside of the plane, does this mean that you can get out that way if you had the window seat or would you have to still get past the person next to you on the aisle side?No, getting out from the window seat is no different except only one person to climb over.

BUT there is a gap about a foot wide between the UPPER part of the seat seat and window, which due to way the panel is shaped can be crammed with luggage/pillows so you can really get your head down. :)

CBM
14th May 2012, 14:32
I am a regular customer of Cathay Pacific, UK / HK/ Manila; this is in part out of loyalty as once long ago I worked for its parent company and I know just how good its engineering and its committment to safety are - it's one of the two or three best airlines in the world.

Yes you book straight through and with Cathay the connection over Hong Kong is very good - the two flights use gates quite near to each other and Cathay's ground staff are excellent.

You do need to pass through security in Hong Kong and they are quite thorough.

The HK/MNL flight is always full with Cathay and you will do well to assume that your fellow passengers will be toting an absurd amount of hand carry baggage - Cathay takes a more relaxed view of this than some other airlines, but only on this route, and not to the extent of compromising safety.

Note that you will be arriving at Terminal One in Manila and if you want to extend your visa you do this at the booth to your left BEFORE immigration control and you MUST pay cash in Pesos.

South-east boy
14th May 2012, 14:36
No, getting out from the window seat is no different except only one person to climb over.

BUT there is a gap about a foot wide between the UPPER part of the seat seat and window, which due to way the panel is shaped can be crammed with luggage/pillows so you can really get your head down. :)

Wonder why it says that a window seat in row 66 and 67 is a green good seat (looks like it has space that's the width of another seat between it and the outside), but the aisle seat is a white standard seat and row 68 window and aisle seat has some draw-backs?

grahamw48
14th May 2012, 14:38
I don't know, but with my flatulence and nervous tic, personal space is never a problem for me it seems. :D

raynaputi
14th May 2012, 15:43
right about ordering the special meal, i try and order a kids meal for myself :D if not a veggy one :doh

as for your son Graham, soon as the plane started to take off, little joe started shouting 'wer'e going to crash, we're all going to die :yikes:' :icon_lol: little :censored: wouldn't shut up :xxparty-smiley-004: and when we landed he shouted out 'see i told you we would be ok!' :doh

Good thing it's Little Joe who shouted that and not you..or else you'd be thrown out right away! :icon_lol:

South-east boy
14th May 2012, 16:08
There's another similar website to Seat Guru called Airline expert.com that has similar gradings for the seats with some being the same grades as on Seat Guru, but some are different. If you look at Cathay Pacifics 773-300(773), it shows rows 62-67 at an angle whereas Seat Guru shows them straight. What is also better about Airline expert over Seat guru is that when you hover the mouse over which seat that you're looking at, it gives pro's and cons on that seating area!

Doc Alan
14th May 2012, 16:16
On the 747-400, http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cathay_Pacific_Airways/Cathay_Pacific_Airways_Boeing_747-400_B.php with seat rows 66,67 and 68 near the back where they only have 2 seats on the outside, there looks like a fair bit of room between the window-side seat and the outside of the plane, does this mean that you can get out that way if you had the window seat or would you have to still get past the person next to you on the aisle side?

I want a window seat from Hong Kong to Manila on the 777-300 for sure as it's only a short flight, so I probably won't need to get out much and I want to see some views!
Tim, you do realise that full details appear on your screen if you " hover " your cursor over each seat ? Your last post #40 has just confirmed it !! Of course every traveller wants the best seats, so good luck tomorrow from 12.30 pm :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
That site is now out of date, as you will find between 26 - 34 seats towards the front of Economy Class are now " Premium Economy " and not available. The good news for the future is that Cathay Pacific are progressively fitting new more comfortable long-haul Economy Class seats on Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 aircraft during 2012-2013 :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

South-east boy
14th May 2012, 16:36
Tim, you do realise that full details appear on your screen if you " hover " your cursor over each seat ? Your last post #40 has just confirmed it !! Of course every traveller wants the best seats, so good luck tomorrow from 12.30 pm :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
That site is now out of date, as you will find between 26 - 34 seats towards the front of Economy Class are now " Premium Economy " and not available. The good news for the future is that Cathay Pacific are progressively fitting new more comfortable long-haul Economy Class seats on Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 aircraft during 2012-2013 :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Yeah, but when I hover the mouse over the seats in Seat Guru, it dosn't seally say anything, it just says seat number and letters have: -nothing! Lol!

stevewool
14th May 2012, 16:49
any seat is a good seat, as long as you get there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

brinormeg
14th May 2012, 19:07
Interested in this thread too as im 6ft3! Fly out on the 31st but unfortunately the dates mean ive got 29 hrs on the way out:yikes:

Got a direct back to amsterdam then aberdeen on the way back though so that be better!

grahamw48
14th May 2012, 19:58
Just stick your legs out into the aisle as I do and trip everybody up. :D

Arthur Little
14th May 2012, 21:10
trip everybody up ... :D

... then ask them if they enjoyed their trip.:signs136:

lastlid
14th May 2012, 21:14
Just stick your legs out into the aisle as I do and trip everybody up. :D

I kind of use that as a sneaky way to get extra legroom...:D

stevewool
15th May 2012, 08:11
i used to do that till the trolley dollies pust there way past sixe 12 shoes, soon wakes you up, but waking up to these big red lips smiling at you, well its worth the pain

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 09:54
i used to do that till the trolley dollies pust there way past sixe 12 shoes, soon wakes you up, but waking up to these big red lips smiling at you, well its worth the pain

:icon_lol:

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 09:56
With the 777-300 it says they start serving food at the front, so by the time it reaches the back, some choices might not be available. Is that the same with the 747-400 too, as it doesn't mention that in the notes where it does with the 777-300!

Dedworth
15th May 2012, 10:35
With the 777-300 it says they start serving food at the front, so by the time it reaches the back, some choices might not be available. Is that the same with the 747-400 too, as it doesn't mention that in the notes where it does with the 777-300!

They won't let you starve there's 2 galleys and you never know they might lay on a specially configured food special aircraft and Mr Seat Guru's info will be meaningless :icon_lol:

raynaputi
15th May 2012, 10:58
Better to choose your special meal early online..I always do and I was always served first..although one time I've regret it coz the meal they served to the others looked more appetizing than the one I got..:icon_lol:

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 12:52
Better to choose your special meal early online..I always do and I was always served first..although one time I've regret it coz the meal they served to the others looked more appetizing than the one I got..:icon_lol:

The only thing with the special meals is that are mainly different types of vegetarian & muslim + the child menus etc. While some of them sound nice, I don't want to miss out on anything that's even nicer!

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 12:54
Well, I just booked my seat to Hong Kong -got 66A with more space around. Couldn't book the 2nd flight from Hong Kong to Manila until 48 hours before that actual flight which will be 9.10am tomorrow morning. That seat I want nearer the front, so it's quicker through immigration and I see Viva quicker! :Rasp:

Doc Alan
15th May 2012, 14:49
Well done Tim, Cathay Pacific are obviously sticking rigidly to the 48 hour check in rule, good luck with tomorrow’s booking :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
The meal arrangements are now beyond your control and Cathay Pacific is a reliable airline ! Just make sure of things you CAN control, including money :-
• Don’t exceed the 20 kilograms allowance for check in baggage and 7 kilograms for cabin baggage.
• Have a look at the health checklist here ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines ) .
• Copy of passport and travel insurance separate from originals.
• Spare unblocked mobile phone for local Philippines sim card.
• Camera with spare battery.
• Have a look at latest FCO advice (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/philippines ) and consider registration with FCO Locate service ( http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/staying-safe/Locate/ ) .
• Don’t worry ! Enjoy your trip – you have Viva there to look after you :Hellooo: !

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 16:30
Well done Tim, Cathay Pacific are obviously sticking rigidly to the 48 hour check in rule, good luck with tomorrow’s booking :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
The meal arrangements are now beyond your control and Cathay Pacific is a reliable airline ! Just make sure of things you CAN control, including money :-
• Don’t exceed the 20 kilograms allowance for check in baggage and 7 kilograms for cabin baggage.
• Have a look at the health checklist here ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines ) .
• Copy of passport and travel insurance separate from originals.
• Spare unblocked mobile phone for local Philippines sim card.
• Camera with spare battery.
• Have a look at latest FCO advice (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/philippines ) and consider registration with FCO Locate service ( http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/staying-safe/Locate/ ) .
• Don’t worry ! Enjoy your trip – you have Viva there to look after you :Hellooo: !

Thanks Alan. Got a 30KG allowance luckily, especially with Viva's Birthday presents etc!

Got most of those meds etc and just had Typhoid, Hep A and Tetanus/Polio/diptheria jabs earlier today! They recommended Malaria tablets, but think I'll leave those.

South-east boy
15th May 2012, 23:06
Does anyone know how long before the flight you are meant to be there/check-in properly? Can't seem to find where it says!

grahamw48
15th May 2012, 23:35
I allow a couple of hours before flight departure time. :)

Terpe
16th May 2012, 08:15
I always follow recommended advise to check-in as early as possible.
For long haul flights I try to check-in 3 hours before scheduled departure.

It sounds a lot but you may be surprised just how much time it can take to clear all processes.

Generally boarding will take place about 45 mins before scheduled departure.

Importantly, be sure to follow security rules especially regarding liquids etc.

You can read more here (http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security)

Enjoy your trip

RickyR
16th May 2012, 08:55
I always go with the policy that íf i'm paying for the flights and its non-flexible, arrive at the airport 2 or 3 hours before. If work is paying and its flexible, I arrive at the airport about 45 mins before lol.

As mentioned above, Cathay is a very good airline. Good In-Flight Entertainment, and food is generally good. In economy they have seats which when you recline, they don't infringe on anyone elses space, they bottom part slides forward so you only reduce your own legroom. Some people like them, some people hate them.
Transfers in Hong Kong are generally easy, just follow the signs, and then it's a very big and open plan airport, free wifi if you have a laptop and some very cheap places to eat.
I'm sure you'll have a great flight, but one big piece of advise, don't overload yourself with unecessary things. You'll be tired when you arrive in Manila and it's hot. Don't bother using up baggage space with shower gels, towels, cleaning products etc, they can all be bought cheaply on arrival, and I'm sure you're mahal will enjoy helping you go find what you need. Its probably best to avoid taking jeans with you (they are heavy and use up the baggage allowance), go for light cotton trousers and shorts, and remember clothes are cheap over there so you can also buy some things when you arrive if you want.

Doc Alan
16th May 2012, 10:34
Just for the record, Tim, within the small print of “ Conditions of Contract “ with your e ticket, Cathay Pacific state :- “ Check-in time – the time shown on the flight coupon is the departure time of the aircraft. Passengers should allow sufficient time to complete all the formalities and it is recommended that passengers should arrive at the airport, at the latest, one and a half hours before departure time. Cathay Pacific check-in counters normally close 40 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time, however, closing time may vary slightly at some airports. Passengers arriving after this time may not be accepted for travel and no responsibilities will be accepted in such cases. " ... Boarding time :- " Passengers are reminded to arrive at the boarding gate at least 20 minutes before departure. Passengers arriving after this time may not be accepted for travel and no responsibilities will be accepted in such cases. “
Once again, enjoy your flights and trip - I'm sure you're well prepared now :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

chippy
30th May 2012, 17:40
Sit at the back of the plane then if you crash into a mountian your last to die.:icon_lol:

RickyR
30th May 2012, 17:51
Well yesterday I was sat in the front left hand seat, so I guess I'd be first to die if I crashed into a mountain, but then it would have been my fault.
Took a friend flying over Alicante in a small single engined aircraft.

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 17:57
In the first ever crash of a 'Jumbo Jet' (Nairobi), most if not all of the fatalities were amongst the passengers sitting in the rear fuselage.

The plane failed to gain sufficient height at take-off, stalled, and came down with the tail hitting the ground first and breaking off. :cwm3:

RickyR
30th May 2012, 19:03
http://www.facebook.com/v/114091725396057