PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare

andy222
3rd May 2012, 08:07
I dont know how true this is. On my lunch break yesterday I heard on the radio MPs are talking about people who care for their relatives full time will get £350 per week. Maybe our newspaper investigators could shed some light on this.

lastlid
3rd May 2012, 08:10
" The current system means that it is cheaper for families to put relatives in the hands of local authority-run care services than stay at home to look after their own relatives, according to a report from the Free Enterprise Group.
The organisation, which is seen as influential in the Treasury, said the government could save an estimated £1.14 billion a year by funding families directly, rather than paying for residential care.
Ministers are drawing up plans to reform the system for caring for England’s rapidly ageing population and a white paper is expected later this year.
The Conservative MP Chris Skidmore, who wrote the report, said: “As a society we should be encouraging people to care for their relatives.
“Where a local authority might otherwise be paying several hundred pounds a week for residential care, they could instead be offering a fraction of that to a relative to provide care themselves.” "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9240926/MPs-pay-families-to-care-for-elderly.html

Arthur Little
3rd May 2012, 15:09
Ministers are drawing up plans to reform the system for caring for England's rapidly ageing population and a white paper is expected later this year.
The Conservative MP Chris Skidmore, who wrote the report, said: “As a society we should be encouraging people to care for their relatives.
“Where a local authority might otherwise be paying several hundred pounds a week for residential care, they could instead be offering a fraction of that to a relative to provide care themselves.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9240926/MPs-pay-families-to-care-for-elderly.html

:poke: ... it ought to be SOONER - rather than LATER, Mr Skidmore - otherwise your recommendations are liable to end up on the proverbial "slippery slope" :cwm24: by being ignored! :rolleyes: