PDA

View Full Version : On My Way!!! Please Advise ,thankyou

jeffro
4th July 2007, 00:20
Hi everyone,i hope you are all ok!!.
I am happy to say that today i have booked my flight at last to visit my anghel,i cant explain in words my feelings just now.
I have used the search facility,and though im over the moon i am a bit concerned about the following .My flight is from Manchester- Doha-Cebu,Qatar airlines.My flght cost 582.00,and i cant complain at the price, having searched the web i have been amazed at some the prices quoted,so i think i got good value,or so i thought until i read about Doha!!!!,and its location.Has anyone here had a good experience at Doha???,and do i need a visa for my short stay between flights? My travel agent told me i dont need a visa for up to 21 days in the Philippines, i have checked this online,but please can you advise me if this is correct,or is best to apply just in case of any problems .
I would like to stay a week in Cebu,so any advice of any humble but clean hotels and friendly staff would be a great help ,i have to figure out a modest budget,and has anyone here stayed at the Hotel De Mercedes?,it seems a very nice hotel and i recieved a very kind and warm reply to my enquiry,and was offered a price of 1178 PHP for a superior room.From Cebu im travelling to Pagadian city.Again,some of the comments ive read about Pagadian are quite scary,while others comment its a very safe place,any thoughts or comments i would truly appreciate,but thats my ultimate destiny good or bad.
Im trying to work a budget out as i mentioned,and please could you advise me of a modest daily budget,im a little unsure,ive had quotes from 5000-,10,000 PHP daily,im very unsure ,i cant live like a king ,but i want mg gf and kids and her family to be happy and hopefullly have a few 1000 php to leave for them when i return home.My gf said 3000 php is enough,but she is only thinking of me and i know she struggles so much ,but i really want to her feel like a prinsesa the best and affordable way i can,so again ,please could you kindly offer any advice to me.
Finally,i depart from Manchester 24th October,10.20 am,so if anyone here is travelling Cebu the same i hope we can meet in the departure lounge!!
Thanks so much,
jeffro and Maria

aromulus
4th July 2007, 01:02
Doha Airport Terminal is not the biggest around...
It can get very busy tho.
Not enough seating, a little intimidating at times,with all the white kaftans... but ok. The toilets... That's another story, take some wellies...:NoNo:
The food leaves to be desired in the upstairs lounge, barely edible I thought, the duty frees ain't that cheap (my mobile was £ 24 cheaper in the Carphone Warehouse).
Besides you will have a 1 hour or longer, "unscheduled" stop in Singapore. Cleaning and crew change, they say... :Erm:The travel agents will not confirm it...
But don't let me put you off. I am fussy anyway.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Staying in Cebu for a week...
On my 3 previous trips, I went to The Metro Park Hotel in Lahug.
Clean, friendly staff, reasonably priced. Incidentally we had also our wedding and reception there.
http://www.in-cebu.com/metropark/rates.php

It is not far from the Malls and the city centre.
Lots of restaurants within walking distance.
Or less than 50 pence taxi fare, if you feel lazy.
The hotel restaurant on the 4th floor, is quite good and cheap enough.
Personally I will use that Hotel again, but my next flights will be with Singapore Airlines, even if it is more expensive.

Good luck

Tish
4th July 2007, 01:25
Just arrived here in Cebu exactly a week today. Travelled from Manchester to Cebu using Qatar Airlines.

*Doha airport is not what it used to be (I was there last year in July where a lot of work was being carried out)
* Now more spacious with more toilet facilities, but not tried eating upstairs in that little canteen? Never fancy it, besides I was still full after all that food during flight!
* Free internet access on the second floor lasting 30 minutes, which I find very helpful, because I like to let my husband know that I'm ok at every arrival.

Also, for the first time, my flight went direct from Doha to Cebu without having to 'call in' Singapore (which again, I find helpful) but my stay in Doha was longer...about 4 hours!!!

To me, my travel is worth the sacrifices of having to stay in Doha for 4 hours in order to save 100 quids! (I am tight though:))

jeffro
4th July 2007, 01:26
Thankyou so much for your advice -and humour!!-ill take 2 pairs of wellies!!.
The extra stop at Singapore wont bother me too much i hope,i did want to go Cebu via Singapore,however im quite happpier after reading your kind advice ,thankyou!!
I suppose the recent terrosist attacks have unsettled me,when i saw the location of Doha i was uneasy to say the least,however we cant be forced to live in fear.
I just quickly glanced at the Metro park hotel,and will look much more later,thanks so much for the link,and from your reading your experince and comments it sounds excellent.
My sincere thanks for all your help and kindness,and for your humour,laughters still the best medicine!!!
jeff and Maria ,

Tish
4th July 2007, 01:32
Will you be staying in Cebu or Mactan Island?
Do you prefer staying around seaside areas or in the City?
Have you considered staying in a Pension House here in Cebu? If you're not familiar with Pension Houses, they're one of those like a B&B type of accomodation (well I think so:D)

Tish

jeffro
4th July 2007, 01:41
Just arrived here in Cebu exactly a week today. Travelled from Manchester to Cebu using Qatar Airlines.

*Doha airport is not what it used to be (I was there last year in July where a lot of work was being carried out)
* Now more spacious with more toilet facilities, but not tried eating upstairs in that little canteen? Never fancy it, besides I was still full after all that food during flight!
* Free internet access on the second floor lasting 30 minutes, which I find very helpful, because I like to let my husband know that I'm ok at every arrival.

Also, for the first time, my flight went direct from Doha to Cebu without having to 'call in' Singapore (which again, I find helpful) but my stay in Doha was longer...about 4 hours!!!

To me, my travel is worth the sacrifices of having to stay in Doha for 4 hours in order to save 100 quids! (I am tight though:))

Ha !! thanks for the advice and how to save 100 quid!!!.Im feeling much better after reading your help and advice also,many thanks!! I had to book as soon as possible for the dates i needed,and before my kids ask for the next game console!!! I had considered going Novenber-december,and home for christmas,but its too much a busy time .
Thanks so much,i hope you have a greatttttttttt time in Cebu,and best wishes always ,
jeff and Maria

Tish
4th July 2007, 01:42
Metro Park Hotel

For less than 10 pounds you get breakfast included, and the added swimming pool. Not stayed there though...too tight to be staying in a hotel and pay for my accomodation where I can camp in my mum's house for free! Hehehe

Tish
4th July 2007, 01:45
Ha !! thanks for the advice and how to save 100 quid!!!.Im feeling much better after reading your help and advice also,many thanks!! I had to book as soon as possible for the dates i needed,and before my kids ask for the next game console!!! I had considered going Novenber-december,and home for christmas,but its too much a busy time .
Thanks so much,i hope you have a greatttttttttt time in Cebu,and best wishes always ,
jeff and Maria

By the way, I'm not so far from you in UK land. I live in Burnley!:rolleyes:

jeffro
4th July 2007, 01:59
Will you be staying in Cebu or Mactan Island?
Do you prefer staying around seaside areas or in the City?
Have you considered staying in a Pension House here in Cebu? If you're not familiar with Pension Houses, they're one of those like a B&B type of accomodation (well I think so:D)

Tish
To be honest i dont mind staying the City or seaside resorts,and thanks for the info on Pension Houses,thats something i was unaware of,and its an option well worth considering,when my kids were just young our holidays to Blackpool were all B&B.In my heart i would love to give my anghel the chance to stay in a nice and romantic hotel ,but i know she would have no problem with B&B,because like many others she struggles so hard ,B&B would be luxury to her im sure,but i just want to try and make her feel so special and happy .
Thanks again so much for your kind advice and help!!!
jeff and Maria

Tish
4th July 2007, 01:59
Check this out Jeff, might interest you!!!

http://www.kiwilodge.org/

jeffro
4th July 2007, 02:07
By the way, I'm not so far from you in UK land. I live in Burnley!:rolleyes:

thats great!!!! ,just 30 minutes away from me M6,have a pint for me in Cebu!!! and as we say ,cheers!!!,hope theres a chippy there!!!
have a great time!!!
jeff and Maria.

Tish
4th July 2007, 02:15
thats great!!!! ,just 30 minutes away from me M6,have a pint for me in Cebu!!! and as we say ,cheers!!!,hope theres a chippy there!!!
have a great time!!!
jeff and Maria.

Sorry but I'm not one for drinking beer/ale etc. Jeff! Mostly like Southern Comfort and Lemonade, but can stretch to Beni with hot water...lol...Still...Cheers!!! About Chippy, well.....preferred Doritos really..lol:icon_lol:

jeffro
4th July 2007, 02:16
Check this out Jeff, might interest you!!!

http://www.kiwilodge.org/

thats a great link,thankyou,especiallly for the sausage and chips mushrooms and sdteak!!!,and i have discussed food several times with my gf-im terrified of eating some local food-balat??,fertilised duck eggs gives me nightmares,i imagine choking on bones and feathers!!!, and i mean no offence to anyone,its just the way i was brought up.My gf understands and i told her i love eggs on toast,shes never tasted them,so just for the food alone,this is already becoming my favourite!! cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeff and Maria

jeffro
4th July 2007, 02:23
Sorry but I'm not one for drinking beer/ale etc. Jeff! Mostly like Southern Comfort and Lemonade, but can stretch to Beni with hot water...lol...Still...Cheers!!! About Chippy, well.....preferred Doritos really..lol:icon_lol:

I love Doritos!!,and im a shandy man to be honest,im not a drinker as such ,just occasional ,prefer a nice glass of wine at home watching a good movie nice n cosy.But i do love my pie and chips!!
thanks so much,i appreciate everything you`ve kindly helped me with,
jeff n Maria,she is my daughter ,12 goin on 19!!!,she lives with me since my seperation,and my rock too!!

Tish
4th July 2007, 02:36
I love Doritos!!,and im a shandy man to be honest,im not a drinker as such ,just occasional ,prefer a nice glass of wine at home watching a good movie nice n cosy.But i do love my pie and chips!!
thanks so much,i appreciate everything you`ve kindly helped me with,
jeff n Maria,she is my daughter ,12 goin on 19!!!,she lives with me since my seperation,and my rock too!!

I've got a lad that's 15 going on 16 (who thinks he's the man of the house!!) to which his Dad's dismay! And two daughters; 8 and nearly 12, so I can understand your predicament very well..lol :D

Tish
4th July 2007, 02:41
thats a great link,thankyou,especiallly for the sausage and chips mushrooms and sdteak!!!,and i have discussed food several times with my gf-im terrified of eating some local food-balat??,fertilised duck eggs gives me nightmares,i imagine choking on bones and feathers!!!, and i mean no offence to anyone,its just the way i was brought up.My gf understands and i told her i love eggs on toast,shes never tasted them,so just for the food alone,this is already becoming my favourite!! cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeff and Maria

My husband's very much a coward when it comes to trying exotic foods! He prefers british culinary dishes than anything else!!! But then again, that's how he's been brought up, so I do understand him and you for that matter.
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs Daddy
4th July 2007, 11:00
My travel agent told me i dont need a visa for up to 21 days in the Philippines, i have checked this online,but please can you advise me if this is correct,or is best to apply just in case of any problems .
this is correct jeff,you dont need any visa for 21 days visit in PI.Goodluck and have a safe and pleasant journey:)

emeraldisle
16th July 2007, 19:17
hi jeffro
Im heading to cebu from manchester via doha from 6th untill 22nd of october. Those are provisional dates as im not sure which airline ill be taking yet. I was gonna go the first 2 weeks in october but its my gf's birthday on the 20th so i decided to take an extra few days and spend it with her. Im only budgeting about £500 for spending as im getting a pension house quite cheaply near to where my lady lives. But ill have like credit cards or cash cards for back up. When i hear the price of living in the philippines i keep thinking that i can live for nowt each day. hope im right.

scotsfiancee
16th July 2007, 23:36
When i hear the price of living in the philippines i keep thinking that i can live for now each day. hope im right.

The cost of living in CEbu is quite different if u lived in a small town.
For 2 weeks, i don't think £500 is enough?, it could be if you're not going out much like beach resorts..... or far places:)

Goodluck to your trip! i miz cebu:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
17th July 2007, 09:25
yeah a bit cheaper there compares to the other places but £500 its not enough really specially if you going out everynight with your gf and gf family hahaha anyway you have a credit card so thats alright....goodluck to you!!!

Shifty-Sidney
24th July 2007, 17:56
You are right about the 21 days - no visa required for British citizens.
Also your budget should be more than enough. To give you an idea - i stayed in the best hotel in Surigao (there are only 2) - it was comparable to £200.00 a night hotels here. I went daft in the bar, bought drinks, food and mango splits for everyone and their dog and at the end of the week my bill came to £88.00 yes its true!
Never been to Doha but since you are not leaving the airport, you never go through immigration so stay on international `soil` and wont need a visa.
You have to be careful anywhere in Filli, the people are wonderful and very friendly but there are a lot of robberies and everyone will know you are there and exactly where you will be going and when you will arrive - the Fillies are txt mad.

jeffro
29th July 2007, 12:49
You are right about the 21 days - no visa required for British citizens.
Also your budget should be more than enough. To give you an idea - i stayed in the best hotel in Surigao (there are only 2) - it was comparable to £200.00 a night hotels here. I went daft in the bar, bought drinks, food and mango splits for everyone and their dog and at the end of the week my bill came to £88.00 yes its true!
Never been to Doha but since you are not leaving the airport, you never go through immigration so stay on international `soil` and wont need a visa.
You have to be careful anywhere in Filli, the people are wonderful and very friendly but there are a lot of robberies and everyone will know you are there and exactly where you will be going and when you will arrive - the Fillies are txt mad.
That was very kind and genourous of you!!!,even the dog was happy,ha !!
I think the filipinas are very kind, caring and loving people.I know that many struggle ,but they are far more decent and caring and just beautiful :cwm38:,i wish i had met my anghel many many years ago,and now my heart is just aching to be with her.:cwm38: