PDA

View Full Version : How much more development can Baguio, Boracay take?

Terpe
24th April 2012, 13:03
How many more tourists and buildings can Baguio City and Boracay Island handle before their ecology is destroyed by overdevelopment?

Environment Secretary Ramon Paje on Monday said the government would try to answer this question in a study to determine how many more visitors and structures Baguio and Boracay could accommodate before their ecology was severely affected.

Source:-
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/181567/how-much-more-development-can-baguio-boracay-take

joebloggs
24th April 2012, 13:33
i was mentioning this to the misses and her brother, as we drove from Puerto Princesa to the west coast of palawan, we were talking about how much of it would have been built on in the next few years..

coming back was amazing, up and down hills, along winding roads thru 'jungle' in darkness with hardly any signs of life, something i'll never forget :rolleyes:

lastlid
24th April 2012, 13:52
They need to put a cap on the development in some areas and maybe open up development in some others. There are a lot of islands to select from..........

joebloggs
24th April 2012, 14:01
misses had told me Puerto has changed alot since the lasst time she came 7+ yrs ago, more buildings and traffic.

they are half way thru building a Mega Mall in Puerto..

tanga
24th April 2012, 14:03
Development on Boracay is at saturation point and has been for a few years now.Many structures have been built without proper permit. The local government under pressure from DOT will now re-zone the island
Baguio city has a worse pollution problem than Manila.Session road is worse than Taft avenue in terms of air quality and traffic congestion.Many of the precariously built structures are at risk from landslides and sadly you have to travel to the outskirts to enjoy the fragrance of the City of Pines
Environmental impact studies seldom feature in development plans in Philippines

lastlid
24th April 2012, 14:08
Environmental impact studies seldom feature in development plans in Philippines
:NoNo: Oh dear. And yet there is a positive environmental lobby within the country. People are putting out the case. Presumably the message isn't percolating through....

grahamw48
24th April 2012, 21:12
I've always deliberately tried to avoid the 'tourist' areas of the Phils.

- Bad enough living in York. :icon_lol:

I suppose the Filipinos can hardly be blamed for wanting to capitalise on their natural resources, but like other places it can easily get out of control.

Benidorm WAS a small picturesque fishing village once upon a time, and not that long ago.

lastlid
24th April 2012, 21:14
I've always deliberately tried to avoid the 'tourist' areas of the Phils.

- Bad enough living in York. :icon_lol:

I suppose the Filipinos can hardly be blamed for wanting to capitalise on their natural resources, but like other places it can easily get out of control.

Benidorm WAS a small picturesque fishing village once upon a time, and not that long ago.

The spanish analogy isnt a bad one....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ferrarijohn
13th July 2012, 07:20
It is sound posting and information about this great place. Life of this city is much enjoyable peaceful, low crime ration, high living standard and better opportunities for tourist as well as local people.

grahamw48
13th July 2012, 09:44
Banned faster than his car. :icon_lol:

Terpe
13th July 2012, 09:46
Been a lot of that sort of activity recently. Don't know why :Erm:

Steve.r
13th July 2012, 09:49
Banned faster than his car. :icon_lol:

This came to mind Graham, but he was from Pakistan, not the USA as in his profile (thanks for the rep btw) :doh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwHVK_a62A

Ako Si Jamie
18th July 2012, 22:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_mga5iWH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzalEI2YSxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_yWetmdtA&feature=related

gWaPito
18th July 2012, 23:08
So, stating where you are actually are not is a banning offence?...Joe states he's in Asia but we all know he's in Manchester.....what's the difference?

grahamw48
19th July 2012, 00:24
Fascinating videos. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

In the Baguio one it recalls the earthquake from 1990...16th July.

A day and an occurrence that I remember so well , as that was the very day of my first arrival in the Phils, and the quake was also felt in Manila, and of course TV programming there full of it for days, if not weeks.

What with that and being directly involved in the Pinatubo eruption a year later, I began to wonder if natural disasters were following me around. :rolleyes:

lrodney
15th August 2012, 09:23
Being places that are designed to be that of a rural place, it could only take much. You could force places to take different scapes but I think that it would still be different when you force new buildings just to rise up. I am not a fan of that thinking with reclaiming parts of the sea to be of land's ownership. Takes away the real place, in my opinion.