PDA

View Full Version : Expat guide to the Philippines : health care

Doc Alan
24th April 2012, 10:37
Here’s a link to a recent article in “ The Telegraph “ .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/9195995/Expat-guide-to-the-Philippines-health-care.html
The topics have been covered on other threads, but it may still be of interest :).

Steve.r
24th April 2012, 11:38
Thanks for the link Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
24th April 2012, 11:40
PhilHealth, as it is known. To date, about 86 per cent of the population is enrolled.

I think that 86% sounds extremely high..That said,after the DOJ have announced this...
http://www.gov.ph/2012/04/18/doj-clears-100-philhealth-aid-for-the-poor/
That percentage will certainly look more realistic..
This is very good news for poor Filipino`s. I wonder when and how they will be notified about it?
Hopefully at a special Barangay meeting.

lastlid
24th April 2012, 11:50
I wonder when and how they will be notified about it?
Hopefully at a special Barangay meeting.

As far as I know, my wife's family are unaware of this....we ( me and the wife) were talking about this sort of thing the other day when we visited our local NHS hospital in the IOM....maybe it isn't filtering down through the ranks....

RickyR
24th April 2012, 13:13
It's definately worth considering the cost of Medical Insurance when deciding to retire to the Philippines, or at the very least a repatriation insurance.

We must have spent thousands upon thousands of pounds on Medical Bills in the Philippines over the years.

grahamw48
24th April 2012, 18:10
I agree Ricky. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It's something that I (stupidly) gave scant thought to when living there previously, but now I realise it is VERY VERY important.

I for instance have 'A' Rhesus negative blood (even in the UK only present in around 7% of the population).

If I were ever to need blood...god forbid more than a 'whole armful', especially if I were not near one of the major hospitals in Manila...chances are I'd be dead pretty quickly.

From an incident I read about recently on another forum, any Rh Neg blood is in extreme short supply in the Phils, as are donors...mainly because neg type blood is even rarer there than here, as are blood donors and blood banks, even IF you have the money to pay.

In this particular tale the locals didn't even WANT to use their blood bank up on a Foreigner anyway. :NoNo:

PS. Thanks for the link Alan. :)

RickyR
24th April 2012, 21:38
I understand about the blood type issues. I've donated blood quite a lot in the Philippines, and apparently once your a regular donor if you and your family need blood you have priority. Not sure how true that is.

tiger31
24th April 2012, 22:48
well im off to cebu for a year and im a neg so they got one more donor lol god help me if i need some back .

Terpe
25th April 2012, 09:05
Here’s a link to a recent article in “ The Telegraph “ .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/9195995/Expat-guide-to-the-Philippines-health-care.html
The topics have been covered on other threads, but it may still be of interest :).

Always good to keep updated. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
25th April 2012, 12:27
Three topics arising from this guide :

1. Blood groups :- two main systems - ABO and Rh. Receiving blood from the wrong group, inadequately screened, or expired, could be life-threatening .

• A has A antigens on its red blood cells and anti-B antibodies in its plasma.
• B has B antigens and anti-A antibodies in its plasma.
• O has no antigens but both anti-A and anti-B antibodies. Group O red cells can safely be given to most people.
• AB has both A and B antigens but no antibodies.
• Red blood cells may have Rh(D) antigen . If present, group is “ Rh positive “ ; absent, “ Rh negative “.
• Like everything else, it’s more complicated – but you can be one of 8 main blood groups :-
• Philippines ( UK ) as % :-
O Rh-positive --- 44-46 ( 37 ; 7 negative )
A Rh-positive --- 22-23 (35 ; 7 negative )
B Rh-positive --- 24-25 ( 8 ; 2 negative )
AB Rh-positive --- 4-6 ( 3 ; 1 negative )
Rh-negative --- Less than 1 ( 17 total negative )
• Make sure you know your own blood group, and be aware the groups and transfusion services are different in the Philippines to UK !

2. Good news that the Department of Justice has authorised the Aquino administration to fully subsidize PhilHealth premiums. The “ Aquino Health Agenda “ ( Department of Health ) aims to implement a universal health care system by “ guaranteeing equitable access to affordable healthcare for all Filipinos “ – no easy task.

• Until recently ( 2010 ) the Philippine Government could only afford 0.6% of its GDP on health ( UK about 10% ). The Philippines has 1 doctor / 800 population, compared to UK with 1 / 365. About 3/5 Filipinos who die are said to do so without health professional attention.

3. The “ Health Risks “ section is mostly taken from UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office ( FCO ) advice.
• However, FCO don’t state that “ Malaria is a constant threat to travellers “ – it isn’t. Most travellers who get malaria are of African heritage visiting friends and relatives in endemic countries. In the past 4 years there have been about 6000 cases in UK. Treatment here is free - and fatality only 1%. Most deaths from malaria in endemic countries are children. In the UK mortality increases with age. Older travellers especially need pre-travel advice, not just about malaria.
• For travel insurance, take the same level of care as if you did not have it. Usually it will NOT cover non-emergency treatment; claims from pre-existing medical conditions unless declared and accepted in writing first; age over 70; claims resulting from a tropical disease where you have not had the recommended vaccinations / medicines; or claims where the FCO has recommended against travel.

fred
25th April 2012, 18:03
2. Good news that the Department of Justice has authorised the Aquino administration to fully subsidize PhilHealth premiums. The “ Aquino Health Agenda “ ( Department of Health ) aims to implement a universal health care system by “ guaranteeing equitable access to affordable healthcare for all Filipinos “ – no easy task.

As you say Doc...No easy task!!
What worries me is that its not sustainable and will bring down the whole house of cards... Then..Everyone will suffer.. Long term!