PDA

View Full Version : My first flight in 7 weeks.

songz777
20th April 2012, 22:18
Hi guys,
well its been 6 months now wtih my girl calling twice a day and skyping for hours. So on 9th June I fly via heathrow, Bahrain to Manila, spend one night in hotel, then off to Cagayan de oro city monday morning to meet my love.

Any advise please?
Good tips?

Take care John :)

grahamw48
20th April 2012, 22:44
Don't forget your passport and air ticket ! :D

I take it you haven't been to the Phils before then ? :Erm:

What hotel have you decided on in Manila ?...hopefully near the airport if you're flying out again the next day. :)

Steve.r
20th April 2012, 23:00
Have a great time John.

Just remember that the Philippines is very different to the UK. It will be very hot this time of year too. Be prepared to be smiled at, asked if you need help and be welcomed nearly everywhere you go.

Be a little street wise, don't keep a wallet in your back pocket, just keep enough money in your front or zipped pocket for the day.

But most of all be guided by your mahal, and just have a fabulous time together.

I wish you a safe and fulfilling trip... the first of many I think :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
20th April 2012, 23:16
don,t wear jewelary either .its very hot so don,t take many pairs of trousers coz you won,t need them.im heading back in 3 weeks to cebu in time for my g f 40th birthday and am planning to stay for a year .let your girlfriend handle all money transactions ie taxis etc coz you will be charged etc where ever you go coz with blond hair you,ll stick out like a sore thumb lol enjoy .

Marie
21st April 2012, 01:03
too hot here now but June is the start of rainy season ....Cagayan De Oro is a safe place for you...let your girlfriend meet you at the airport to avoid the rude taxi cab drivers although not all are like that....just to be safe....God Bless

joebloggs
21st April 2012, 01:19
too hot here now but June is the start of rainy season ....Cagayan De Oro is a safe place for you...let your girlfriend meet you at the airport to avoid the rude taxi cab drivers although not all are like that....just to be safe....God Bless

your right there Marie, i think its got to 35c here in Puerto Princesa :angry:

Leen
21st April 2012, 02:37
Hi guys,
well its been 6 months now wtih my girl calling twice a day and skyping for hours. So on 9th June I fly via heathrow, Bahrain to Manila, spend one night in hotel, then off to Cagayan de oro city monday morning to meet my love.

Any advise please?
Good tips?

Hello songz777....what time you'll arrive in Manila and what time is your flight out of Manila to CDO?if you arrive say late at night and have to fly early in the morning i would advice you to stay in the airport.
Anyway CDO is one of the safest place in Philippines,welcome to the City of Golden Friendship:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:(im from CDO too) and wish you a happy journey and vacation.
By the way what hotel your going to stay here in CDO?:)

bigmarco
21st April 2012, 04:47
Hi Songz have a safe and enjoyable trip. Lots of useful advice above and be careful with the water. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
21st April 2012, 08:15
There is a street market in the Square in Cagayan De Oro on evening a week, but cannot remember which now:rolleyes:

Also the Cafe-bar in the Square is pleasent at night.
Mick.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st April 2012, 08:39
Hi guys,

Any advise please?
Good tips?

As others have said, Philippines is very different from UK.
Try to avoid pre-conceptions, be open minded, smile, try to avoid value judgements and smile.
Always relax and smile, stay calm and smile.
Be aware of your environment and smile.
Be guided by your gf

Oh and did I mention to smile?

That smile and the feelings will stay with you always and will drive you on to make yet another visit.

Have a great trip

febmary
21st April 2012, 08:39
Hi Songz,

You are now counting the days to be here in the Phils. Have a safe trip it will be a long journey. May it will be sunny or rainy when come out in June.

We able to stay in Manila Airport Hotel, Just across the airport, internationa arrival. Its a walking distance by the way...

Terpe
21st April 2012, 08:47
John, it's always a nice idea to take some small gifts from UK.
No need to spend loads of money just small stuff like chocolate, key rings etc.

stevewool
21st April 2012, 08:57
take lots of pictures , enjoy all you can and take some loo roll with you where ever you go and a little bar of soap too, :action-smiley-081::action-smiley-081:

Terpe
21st April 2012, 09:25
John, may I suggest you take a look at this thread:-
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/37605-Using-money-cards-in-Phils

songz777
21st April 2012, 09:31
Thank you ever so much for all your advise oh wow makes me feel lets get going :)

So yes I am staying at hotel at the airport, as i have to catch a plane 14 hours later.
I am staying at the Riverview Inn and may Mahal lives 2 mins away with he famil who will be my guide all the time.
Water & soap sounds good idea, I have all my jabs this week I shall be like a pin cusion!
I am looking forward so much to at last give her such a long embrace mwahhhh.

Thanks for tips about money and the climate and smiling.

I appreciate all you advise as this is my first time to Philli but not my last :)

May be by the end of the trip I will pop the big question to her, we shall see how it all goes and go from there.

Many thanks

John :)

South-east boy
21st April 2012, 09:59
Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly?! Where are you flying from in UK and who with?

I've got my first trip to Phils in 3 1/2 weeks time and will come back just before you leave!

zaxy
21st April 2012, 10:07
Have safe trip songs how long u going for?

I only stayed for 4 days in my first visit to see how the country is well guess im just over safe well hope you have a good time.

grahamw48
21st April 2012, 10:39
That must have been a rough 4 days. It takes me that long for the jet-lag to clear and to start looking and feeling like a normal human being again.

Then there's the constipation. :icon_lol:

zaxy
21st April 2012, 10:43
sure was rough 4 days lol had to go straight work after 2 days after i got back aswel :)

Steve.r
21st April 2012, 10:44
Then there's the constipation. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Ohh..... that reminds me, have a contingency plan for the opposite........ take some Immodium just in case :action-smiley-082:

songz777
21st April 2012, 14:31
Sound advise :) I am leaving Heathrow on 9th @10am on my own and will be with my girl for 12 days ahh bliss :) I look forward so much to being with her but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!

zaxy
21st April 2012, 14:54
im sure you be fine :) least your gf will greet u at the airport.

lastlid
21st April 2012, 14:56
Sound advise :) I am leaving Heathrow on 9th @10am on my own and will be with my girl for 12 days ahh bliss :) I look forward so much to being with her but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!

Take a ruck sack for "hands free".....:D

grahamw48
21st April 2012, 15:29
but bit nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!

Don't worry....bomb squad will take care of that. :D

songz777
21st April 2012, 15:54
Don't worry....bomb squad will take care of that. :D
ohh thats mean :) looks like a big case dragged to the loo :)

Any advise Graham much appreciated from you as I know you have been philli a lot. Take care John

songz777
21st April 2012, 15:55
im sure you be fine :) least your gf will greet u at the airport.

Well she will meet me at Cagayan de oro but not Manila, still it gives me time to rest from some jet lag and be in a good emotional frame of mind to meet her ohh :)

Terpe
21st April 2012, 16:12
....nervous on my own with the flights and no one to watch my gear if i go to the loo!

I have one of those 'manbags', just big enough to carry passport/tickets/wallett/cash/coins/documents etc. just keep it on your body.
Any other carry-on luggage is locked and placed in the overhead locker. Nothing much else you can do.
In over 30 years of regular business travel (and with all the business electronics etc) I never had any problems even once.

Terpe
21st April 2012, 16:20
Well she will meet me at Cagayan de oro but not Manila, still it gives me time to rest from some jet lag and be in a good emotional frame of mind to meet her ohh :)

You'll need to keep that smile.
That next day you need to be organised with your travel documents and luggage.
You cannot enter the airport without your travel documents.
At entry your luggage will be x-rayed and you will be checked. You may be asked to remove shoes/belt/jewelery etc so just be aware of what you wear and try footwear that's easy to manage.
You may want to enquire at the hotel just what is allowed as carry-on luggage and what must be checked-luggage and NAIA has a habit of making changes.
You need to be prepared for possible excess baggage charges as the domestic flights do not have the same allowances as international. Fortunately the charges are not so expensive.

Steve.r
21st April 2012, 16:21
A rucksack type of carry on is all you will need. Over one shoulder when you go for a wee is fine ..... never leave your baggage alone... EVER!!

Another bit of advice, when you arrive at Manila airport and get your bags ready to leave the building, you will be bombarded with lots of willing people who will try to take your case. DO NOT LET THEM..!!! just be polite and firm if they start to reach for them. If you are staying in the hotel next to the airport, it is only a short walk. If you really need a guide for that, then you can, but only give 50 peso max for that. Take a good look at google earth map of the airport to familiarise yourself with where the hotel is in relation to the airport exit.

Dedworth
21st April 2012, 16:43
I have one of those 'manbags', just big enough to carry passport/tickets/wallett/cash/coins/documents etc. just keep it on your body.
Any other carry-on luggage is locked and placed in the overhead locker. Nothing much else you can do.
In over 30 years of regular business travel (and with all the business electronics etc) I never had any problems even once.

Obviously demand to be moved if there are Pikeys seated nearby :D

grahamw48
21st April 2012, 16:52
ohh thats mean :) looks like a big case dragged to the loo :)

Any advise Graham much appreciated from you as I know you have been philli a lot. Take care John

I only ever take one carry-on sized bag with me John, as I'm a bit of a 'minimalist' nowadays.

Extra T-shirts etc can be bought there as needed, as they're dirt cheap.

I forgot to take my electric shaver last time, but other than that, all I can say is travel light, keep passport and airticket easy to hand, but secure.

Have a ballpoint-pen on you to use for filling out your little immigration form they give you before landing in the Phils.

Not sure about what phone you have, but I took my one from home (for use on outward and inward journey to talk to my son), plus bought one of Tescos 'emergency phones' for 10 quid...which is already unlocked but no sim, then just bought a local Smart simcard when I got there (p40) and it had 40 free texts pre-loaded, which lasted me the entire holiday. :icon_lol:

Oh, I also take a large lunchbox for my sandwiches and other snacks so I don't need to pay rip-off railway and airport prices for grub. :D
Also filled it for the homeward trip.

Have a big drink from your pop bottle before entering departure lounge because they'll take it off you....for security reasons. :rolleyes:

Terpe
21st April 2012, 18:37
Obviously demand to be moved if there are Pikeys seated nearby :D

When I'm dressed for travel I might look like that :D

grahamw48
21st April 2012, 18:40
The positive is that people never fall asleep on your shoulder if you smell like a pig's backside. :icon_lol:

andy222
21st April 2012, 20:41
Just relax John. Enjoy the flight. The phils is like no place I have ever been to and I have travelled a bit. You will love it. Coming back is the hard part. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

zaxy
21st April 2012, 22:32
damn steve lol u just reminded me when i first arrived in manila airport sure not a nice airport to go to kinda want meet my gf in thailand again haha but her visa only be 5 days there sigh.

London_Manila
24th April 2012, 03:28
I am trying to book a flight to Manila this June for around 3 weeks with a decent airline Cathay Pacific or KLM. I last went to Manila in March and paid £540 with Cathay prices now in June are £960 :NoNo: even the middle eastern airlines (which i avoid) want around £760

Steve.r
24th April 2012, 07:50
I am trying to book a flight to Manila this June for around 3 weeks with a decent airline Cathay Pacific or KLM. I last went to Manila in March and paid £540 with Cathay prices now in June are £960 :NoNo: even the middle eastern airlines (which i avoid) want around £760

You can afford it right :rolleyes:

Dedworth
24th April 2012, 08:15

Cathay £603 to Clark in June http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/option,com_flights/task,showFlights/airline,CX/id,93/Itemid,37/

London_Manila
26th April 2012, 02:14
You can afford it right :rolleyes:

Sure i can :)

London_Manila
26th April 2012, 02:17
Cathay £603 to Clark in June http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/option,com_flights/task,showFlights/airline,CX/id,93/Itemid,37/

Nothing on the cathay pacific website about them starting a service to pampanga in june ?

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 20:57
I've just booked time off work from 8th-24th June and I'm off to the Phils hopefully on the 8th or 9th from Heathrow depending on prices. Had a quick earlier today and Saudi Airlines who I've been with before were quoting prices of over £800, nearly twice the amount I've paid previously :yikes:

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 21:00
That's useful to know Ded. Clark is just round the corner from my Mahal's.

Dedworth
27th April 2012, 21:19

Jamie - the last bit of the trip (Honkers - Clark ) is on Cathays little brother Dragonair http://www.dragonair.com/da/en_HK/offerspromotions/offerslanding?refID=04617ebeafa96310VgnVCM1000000ad21c39____&cm_sp=GLOBAL-_-MKT-_-New-XIY-KWL-16APR2012

Steve.r
27th April 2012, 21:34

Where is that Jamie? Clark isn't too far from our place. :)

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 21:46
Jamie - the last bit of the trip (Honkers - Clark ) is on Cathays little brother Dragonair http://www.dragonair.com/da/en_HK/offerspromotions/offerslanding?refID=04617ebeafa96310VgnVCM1000000ad21c39____&cm_sp=GLOBAL-_-MKT-_-New-XIY-KWL-16APR2012I'll phone them up tomorrow. Is Pic-UK a good firm?

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 21:47
Where is that Jamie? Clark isn't too far from our place. :)Maria lives in San Fernando

grahamw48
27th April 2012, 22:06
You must have been shopping here then: :)

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6219/philswithmerlyfeb201203.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6219/philswithmerlyfeb201203.jpg

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 22:21
Not so much shopping Graham, just looked around and had a meal. Spotless mall too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
27th April 2012, 22:26
I sometimes used to take my kids there to keep them amused for an afternoon.

Took those pics when on my way to Subic in Feb'. :)

Ako Si Jamie
27th April 2012, 22:34
I sometimes used to take my kids there to keep them amused for an afternoon.

Took those pics when on my way to Subic in Feb'. :)Went through Subic on our way to Iba

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5949/phils011.jpg

grahamw48
27th April 2012, 23:14
Ah yes, you would go that way. :)

I've often fancied a trip up to Iba myself, but heard mixed reports.

What's the place like ?

Ako Si Jamie
28th April 2012, 01:17
It's OK, kind of a bustling market town. Stayed in a resort about 3 miles from the actual town. Very quiet resort with a deserted beach but that was in January.

What reports did you hear?

junior02
28th April 2012, 05:20

have a good shop around. royal brunei have seats £566, singapore £641 both for june asiana have some good deals also, ive been on all 3 and all ok, but brunei is a dry airline so take your own booze if you like a drink to get your head down..

chino
28th April 2012, 09:15
its dragon air from hkg to crk (no IFE)...

grahamw48
28th April 2012, 09:54
It's OK, kind of a bustling market town. Stayed in a resort about 3 miles from the actual town. Very quiet resort with a deserted beach but that was in January.

What reports did you hear?

Mainly that it was very quiet there, but of course some (like me) prefer it quiet, so not necessarily a negative. :)

Ako Si Jamie
28th April 2012, 18:07
Mainly that it was very quiet there, but of course some (like me) prefer it quiet, so not necessarily a negative. :)Like I said the beach & resort were very quiet, almost ghost-townish. For the first few days we were the only people at the resort. It was just toooo quiet for my liking although a quiet beach is nice.

Ako Si Jamie
30th April 2012, 22:35
Cathay £603 to Clark in June http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/option,com_flights/task,showFlights/airline,CX/id,93/Itemid,37/All booked up at that price. I phoned them today amongst others. Eventually booked a flight for £639 from Heathrow to Clark going with Cathay, but not with them. Only an hour stopover too, going and returning.

Cheapest flights were around £500 going with Kuwait but they had that ludicrous 18 hour stopover. :NoNo:

Dedworth
30th April 2012, 22:46
All booked up at that price. I phoned them today amongst others. Eventually booked a flight for £639 from Heathrow to Clark going with Cathay, but not with them. Only an hour stopover too, going and returning.

Cheapest flights were around £500 going with Kuwait but they had that ludicrous 18 hour stopover. :NoNo:

That's not too bad - these headline offers are eyecatching but they never seem to have many seats, good that new route is handy for you

grahamw48
30th April 2012, 22:53
Average flight prices from UK to the Phils haven't actually increased over the past 20 years ...to put things into perspective. :)

Phils domestic flights have though.

London_Manila
1st May 2012, 14:39
All booked up at that price. I phoned them today amongst others. Eventually booked a flight for £639 from Heathrow to Clark going with Cathay, but not with them. Only an hour stopover too, going and returning.

That price is very good, the cheapest i can find for cathay is £959 for june and returning in early july

who did you book it with in the end?

stevie c
1st May 2012, 16:30
we got a flight with cathay giong in june for £557

Ako Si Jamie
1st May 2012, 19:55
That price is very good, the cheapest i can find for cathay is £959 for june and returning in early july

who did you book it with in the end?Fly and Go.

A lot more helpful and you could at least understand what they were saying unlike those at Crystal, Southall, Cheap Ticket etc

Ako Si Jamie
1st May 2012, 19:56
^ Ask for Harry

Ako Si Jamie
1st May 2012, 20:01
Someone was telling me that new flight prices come out today (being the 1st of the month) so it may be worth having another shop around.

London_Manila
2nd May 2012, 11:24
Fly and Go.

A lot more helpful and you could at least understand what they were saying unlike those at Crystal, Southall, Cheap Ticket etc

Thanks for the info and most appreciated
I normally found southall travel to be the best for online searches and they seem to undercut most of the others big sites like e bookers,opodo etc...

London_Manila
2nd May 2012, 11:30
we got a flight with cathay giong in june for £557

just after xmas cathay had a big sale and had many good offers, i went in march for £540
of course now these offers are no longer available

irishman12
2nd May 2012, 13:39
Hi John ,have been to cdo many times and going again in july -if u have any questions about -would be happy to help -not sure if can pm but maybe you can contact me .

songz777
4th May 2012, 21:27
Hi John ,have been to cdo many times and going again in july -if u have any questions about -would be happy to help -not sure if can pm but maybe you can contact me .

Thanks mate, yes I will be in touch, when you have a few more posts I will be able to add you as friend :)

irishman12
4th May 2012, 22:41
yes nearly there now -have another contact also from uk that might be visiting cdo in june

deeen
11th May 2012, 15:55
singapore airlines have some flights june / july at £651, if that helps anyone?

songz777
23rd May 2012, 21:25
Oh boy soon by 9th June when I fly how time flys! Does anyone know if Bahrain airport has anyy "in the airport" 1 room accomadation bit like some places have a pod you can hire? I hve 8 hours there and nice if I could have some sort of chill out time.

grahamw48
23rd May 2012, 21:45
In Abu Dhabi there was a really big wide tiled 'shelf' in the bog.

I was thinking it would have been a great place to put my sleeping bag if I'd had it with me. :cwm3:

irishman12
23rd May 2012, 23:10
Dont think there are any pods- there are lounges but not sure you can have access if only flying economy http://www.sleepinginairports.net/mideast/manama.htm#lounge http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2010050 contact ur airline about hotel ,we have 9hr stopover in dubai and have free hotel/transfer etc.

myliitlehaven07
24th May 2012, 00:31
ohhh makes me nostalgic when my hubby arrive at the airport i bet your gf is feeling all th e love and excited!! As to the weather, ITS NO LONGER THAT HOT anymore hahhah SO MAKE SURE YOU BRING WITH YOU UMBRELLLA ,.. keep you safe from rain :)

tiger31
24th May 2012, 06:31
and remember to have 550 pesos in your pocket to pay exit fee when flying home again.or they won,t let you leave lol everything has a price here

songz777
24th May 2012, 20:20
and remember to have 550 pesos in your pocket to pay exit fee when flying home again.or they won,t let you leave lol everything has a price here

Oh yes thanks fort that :) I am looking forward to meeting my girl but a bit nervous on my own with all the connections, booking itno hotels and catching the right taxi not be ripped off scammed in any way. But i must remember how much poorer these guys are in Philly.
Thanks for your advise guys :)

andy222
27th May 2012, 03:09
hi john i was in cdo yesterday to pick my wifes english test certificate up we stayed there for 1 night. we visited the sm mall and the night cafe. its a very vibrant place. all the best mate. we are off to camiguin for a couple of days on tuesday.:xxgrinning--00xx3:. i hope everyone is well there back in the uk.

tiger31
27th May 2012, 05:36
Oh yes thanks fort that :) I am looking forward to meeting my girl but a bit nervous on my own with all the connections, booking itno hotels and catching the right taxi not be ripped off scammed in any way. But i must remember how much poorer these guys are in Philly.
Thanks for your advise guys :)don,t worry i went through exactly the same thing as your about to do ,its very daunting to go to a place like the philippines on your own to meet someone for the first time.my g f was hiding behind a concrete post at the airport coz she was that shy haha it was her sister who approached me first then she had to coax my very shy g f out from behind the post lol btw shes not shy now haha .the worst bit for me is the hotel room bit lol .but once the formalities are over you should enjoy the experience good luck and enjoy :)

benjy
27th May 2012, 06:35
Another bit of advice, when you arrive at Manila airport and get your bags ready to leave the building, you will be bombarded with lots of willing people who will try to take your case. DO NOT LET THEM..!!! just be polite and firm if they start to reach for them. If you are staying in the hotel next to the airport, it is only a short walk. If you really need a guide for that, then you can, but only give 50 peso max for that.

LOL your in for a fun as soon as you leave the airport its semi organised chaos outside (im not trying to scare you, just preparing you!) as Steve.r says be firm but polite with the porters who try and get your baggage and as you walk down the long ramp on the left hand side of the pick up area there should be the aiport taxi, use them as they are metered and fair but make sure the meter is running!

but just relax and take it easy... an you will be fine :D

grahamw48
27th May 2012, 09:05
I go upstairs and exit at the 'Arrivals' door, walk over to where the locals are waiting and sit down and light up a fag...taking in the pleasant stench and heat of Manila.

After clearing my head for 10 minutes, flag down one of the taxis that has just dropped people off, bag in , meter on and away into the land of madness, adventure and beautiful women. :)

chippy
30th May 2012, 17:47
Take some condoms you might meet someone nice on the plane :icon_lol:

grahamw48
30th May 2012, 17:52
Take some condoms you might meet someone nice on the plane :icon_lol:

Actually, good advice.

The ones they sell in the Phils are very small.
I think they're mainly imported from Japan. ;)

songz777
30th May 2012, 21:08
Thank you guys for al lyour advise and about taxis and being firm but smiling :) I am nearly ready another 10 days to go!

chippy
31st May 2012, 15:42
Actually, good advice.

The ones they sell in the Phils are very small.
I think they're mainly imported from Japan. ;)

Yer i have to have mine imported here from usa trojan extra large:Sex:

benjy
31st May 2012, 16:00
Yer i have to have mine imported here from usa trojan extra large:Sex:

lol there's always one!:icon_lol:

grahamw48
31st May 2012, 17:33
Two. :D

songz777
4th June 2012, 16:48
I paid £553 with Gulf Air i have 7.5 hours stop in Bahrain but thats about it.

Question?

Do i have to declare customs cheap T shirts I am taking as gifts?

grahamw48
4th June 2012, 17:40
Of course not. :D

I've never declared anything in my life.

Neither I think have customs at Manila ever even looked in my bag.

How are they to know they're not for your own use anyway ?

lastlid
4th June 2012, 19:06
How are they to know they're not for your own use anyway ?

Cos they might be pink with frilly bits on the sleeves and stuff.....:D

deeen
4th June 2012, 21:12
Sounds ideal for BED. :laugher:

grahamw48
4th June 2012, 21:26
Cos they might be pink with frilly bits on the sleeves and stuff.....:D

So ? http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7364/gaysg9.gif