PDA

View Full Version : BBC News - Our World

rusty
16th April 2012, 09:18
President and the Pulpit

The government in the Philippines wants to provide free contraception to help cut the birth rate and reduce poverty. The proposal puts it on a collision course with the ultra-conservative Catholic Church. Kate McGeown reports from Manila.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gkffk

An interesting documentary, one person featured decided that, after 10 children, they should start to consider contraception. :NoNo:

lastlid
16th April 2012, 11:11
I saw this the other night on TV, Rusty. Very interesting documentary. I sat and watched it with my wife who blamed that dude, Teodoro Bacani, that was interviewed opposing the RH Bill and Manny Pacquiao for the countries woes for not supporting the RH Bill...and from what I now see, I am inclined to agree with her. This bill should have been implemented "yesterday".

I was very interested in what Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago had to say on the topic.....well everybodies opinion fact.

BTW Kate McGeown seems to be permanently stationed in the Philippines.

It was also interesting to see the sale of Pampa Regla for sale adjacent to the church....

grahamw48
16th April 2012, 11:56
Contraception has been virtually free for many years in the Phils (at least 20) for those who've managed to free themselves from the the brain-washing of the Catholic church.

I think in this case 'ultra-conservative' means 'determined to hold on to power'. :rolleyes:

As an Atheist I'm pretty even-handed in my condemnation of the evils of religion, but in the case of the Philippines, the Roman Catholic Church has a lot to answer for as far as the burgeoning population and the resultant poverty is concerned.

I'll say no more, as I don't want to upset other board members. ;)

lastlid
16th April 2012, 12:23
As an Atheist I'm pretty even-handed in my condemnation of the evils of religion, but in the case of the Philippines, the Roman Catholic Church has a lot to answer for as far as the burgeoning population and the resultant poverty is concerned.

I'll say no more, as I don't want to upset other board members.
I think this Teodoro Bacani geezer in the BBC interview has a basic misunderstanding of the word "contraception" and concept thereof. Apologies if I upset anyone but I just think that the Philippines needs the RH Bill to be approved, rather a lot.

Jamesey
16th April 2012, 21:41
I saw this also. It was very interesting, especially for my wife, as she did part of her nursing training at the maternity hospital that was featured.

I cannot believe that the Roman Catholic Church is opposing the RH bill. It's ridiculous. :cwm23:

Anyway, I'd better not say too much more here!

andy222
16th April 2012, 21:43
I saw this program shocking.:yikes: