PDA

View Full Version : london here we come

stevewool
12th April 2012, 20:14
Off to london this sunday then going to the embassey on monday for Ems new passport aplication, and to tell them we are married also, so i hope the weather is nice sunday and monday, while Ems there i will be in the art gallery and around trafagal square just watching the world go by, dont fancy just waiting with em there, has anyone just been and whats it like waiting there

stevie c
12th April 2012, 20:20
Been there many times Steve...A very small wating area with so many people it really is a boring wait & usually a long wait.

As you say trafalgar Sq & the art gallery is just around the corner also houses of parliament,China town & the embankment are all in walking distance so enjoy yourself in the big smoke :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 20:21
We were in Trafalgar Sq just between xmas and new year......its good as there is a lot in the vicinity....Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Pall Mall and Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Downing St etc etc etc......

PS there is a Macdonalds just off the square.....:D

Or pop in and take tiffin with her majesty :D

stevewool
12th April 2012, 20:30
do all those things once em has done her stuff together, so it looks like the art gallery i shall be in waiting:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
12th April 2012, 20:30
Also Horseguards parade is close by. Good photo opportunities with the guardsman......

lastlid
12th April 2012, 20:32
do all those things once em has done her stuff together, so it looks like the art gallery i shall be in waiting:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I see. A gander at the Constables and all that.

Nice in the square too if its sunny.

stevie c
12th April 2012, 20:34
Piccadilly circus isn' to far either Oh me & flor went a on one of those boat bar resturants the sail down the river with live music also it was a fantastic night

lastlid
12th April 2012, 20:35
Piccadilly circus isn' to far either Oh me & flor went a on one of those boat bar resturants the sail down the river with live music also it was a fantastic night

We did Piccadily Circus and took Mrs Lastlid for a yomp down Oxford Street.

stevie c
12th April 2012, 20:36
Where will you be staying for the night Steve?

Bluebirdjones
12th April 2012, 21:04
When u get there, you've got to take a ticket from the "number" machine ...... a bit like the meat counter at Sainsbury's !

You should be able to work out from that when you'll be called.
Then you can both go & get breakfast.

BTW ... for passport renewal, you need to queue up twice.... once downstairs to submit the form & pay.
Then upstairs to do the biometrics.
They also close at 1pm for lunch (on the dot !), so if u haven't got it all done by then....... then you've gotta return at 2.00pm.

Enjoy !

stevewool
12th April 2012, 21:34
stopping at the hilton metropole on edgeware road

stevewool
12th April 2012, 21:35
we will be at the embey on the dot 10 am

Bluebirdjones
12th April 2012, 21:43
... and remember your special delivery envelope (from the Post Office), so they can post the new passport back to you.

lastlid
12th April 2012, 21:50
Well I hope you get to tour around, Steve.

Whats wrong with this picture of me and Mrs Lastlid outside the Houses of Parliament? I don't think we have the right lense :icon_lol: Looks like the Leaning Tower of Piza

stevewool
12th April 2012, 21:54
get closer to the camera next time:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, this wll be our third trip, it we can just get the passport sorted out that is the main reason for this trip, if its sorted then a nice walk up the mall to he palace then onto hyde park will be fine,

lastlid
12th April 2012, 22:00
get closer to the camera next time:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, this wll be our third trip, it we can just get the passport sorted out that is the main reason for this trip, if its sorted then a nice walk up the mall to he palace then onto hyde park will be fine,

Sounds good. We went to Hyde park but it was a bit nippy in late December. The wife was desperate to go so December it was....

I think the weather is good this weekend which helps a lot.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
12th April 2012, 22:03
i love to walk around london, but em is not keen, you see so much more by walking,, i have offered a taxi to the embassey and then a nice walk back just poping here and there but its a 3 hour drive back home monday night ready for work the following day

lastlid
12th April 2012, 22:08
Outside Buckingham Palace....

lastlid
12th April 2012, 22:09
i love to walk around london, but em is not keen, you see so much more by walking,, i have offered a taxi to the embassey and then a nice walk back just poping here and there but its a 3 hour rive back home monday night ready for work the following day

I see. We drove down to Luton and stayed at a Travelodge and then went into London each day for 2 days...

Thats what I meant about taking the wife for a yomp down Oxford St. Its quite a long road......

grahamw48
12th April 2012, 23:18
I took the wife and kids to the museums on a Sunday afternoon.

It was free then....and the parking. :D

grahamw48
12th April 2012, 23:21
I see. We drove down to Luton and stayed at a Travelodge and then went into London each day for 2 days...

Thats what I meant about taking the wife for a yomp down Oxford St. Its quite a long road......

Oxford St is about 2 miles long. :cwm24:

Watch out for pickpockets !

bigmarco
13th April 2012, 00:30
Make sure you turn up early Steve because there's always a crowd there. Good Luck

Arthur Little
13th April 2012, 02:53
:) Off on another jaunt to London Steve? I realise its main purpose on this occasion, is to renew Emma's passport ... but there are sooo many sights to see in the Capital, and I hope you both have a lovely time in glorious :sunshine:.

lastlid
13th April 2012, 06:20
I took the wife and kids to the museums on a Sunday afternoon.

It was free then....and the parking. :D

That must have been a few years ago.....:icon_lol:

Dedworth
13th April 2012, 08:58
Don't forget to look out for gangs of Roma beggars infesting the place

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/20/article-0-0E754ED800000578-869_634x483.jpg

http://www.travellerstimes.org.uk/images/romabeggersslough_23092010113636.jpg

lastlid
13th April 2012, 09:27
Maybe its becorz i'm a landenaaa......beware as Johnny Vaughn does swear right at the end.....so if you might be offended then don't watch this link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9D1EXtOt4

lastlid
13th April 2012, 09:38
Oxford St is about 2 miles long. :cwm24:

Yes. I was fine, just Mrs Lastlid couldnt keep up. I had to drag her along.....:icon_lol:

Watch out for pickpockets !

Actually there had been a murder down there the day before on boxing day. It was in the news....:omg: We saw it was all closed down and cordoned off by police tape etc.

lastlid
13th April 2012, 10:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-hLcJkHvA

grahamw48
13th April 2012, 11:15
That must have been a few years ago.....:icon_lol:

It was (late 90s), but probably still the same on a Sunday. (You still had to pay during the week then).

I think the museums may be free after 4pm every day too, if you just want a quick look...(or it's raining :icon_lol:) . Worth checking.

Arthur Little
13th April 2012, 14:51
poping here and there

Ah ... :yeahthat: ... you would need to visit Vatican City for that my friend.

Arthur Little
13th April 2012, 15:00
Actually there had been a murder down there the day before on boxing day.

:xxsport-smiley-002: ... a fight to the death, was it?

lastlid
13th April 2012, 15:39
"Teenager stabbed to death at Oxford Street Boxing Day sales was a shoplifter involved in gang feud
Seydou Diarrassouba died of single stab wound to the heart after Foot Locker attack
Victim was a member of violent street gang ABM and was facing charges of robbery and assault
Detectives urge witnesses who filmed incident on mobiles to hand in footage"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078702/Oxford-Street-stabbing-Seydou-Diarrassouba-18-killed-Boxing-Day-sales-shoplifter-involved-gang-feud.html#ixzz1rvpIixtf

andy222
13th April 2012, 16:00
Rather you than me steve. I wouldnt fancy going there.:doh

lastlid
13th April 2012, 19:19
Steve, you will need to brush up on your cockney rhyming slang.....many of the ATMs down there have been converted.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_9aRtMK6BI

lastlid
13th April 2012, 19:41
Or you might want to run this one off for your trouble and strife.........new ESL programme....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcxycUzI7VM&feature=related

stevewool
13th April 2012, 20:00
wont spend oat down there