PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Display Ban

Terpe
6th April 2012, 17:11
A ban on tobacco displays is coming into force in England - with ministers promising it will help curb the number of young people taking up smoking.

Cigarettes and other products will have to be kept below the counter in large shops and supermarkets, while small outlets are exempt until 2015.

Other parts of the UK are planning similar action to drive down smoking rates.

Critics say the ban is discriminatory and will not discourage young smokers.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley told the BBC he hoped the ban would prevent people from taking up smoking and also help those trying to give up.

He said: "Firstly, it reduces the visibility of tobacco and smoking to young people. And, of course two-thirds of smokers started smoking before they were eighteen.

"So, if we can, literally, arrive at a place where young people just don't think about smoking and they don't see tobacco and they don't see cigarettes - then I hope we can make a big difference."

He said the government recognised the pressures on retailers to comply with the ban but added: "We want to arrive at a place where we no longer see smoking as a normal part of life. We're doing it by stages with constant active pressure."

'Colourful displays'

A fifth of adults smoke - a figure which has remained steady in recent years after decades of rapid falls.

A plan to force manufacturers to put cigarettes into plain packets is also expected to be put out to consultation later this year.

The display ban will apply to shops of more than 280 sq m (3,014 sq ft).

Public health minister Anne Milton cited evidence from Ireland which suggested the measure could play an important role in discouraging young people in particular from smoking.

"We cannot ignore the fact that young people are recruited into smoking by colourful, eye-catching, cigarette displays.

"Most adult smokers started smoking as teenagers and we need to stop this trend."

Jo Butcher, of the National Children's Bureau, agreed: "It's essential that we create a culture that promotes and protects public health and tobacco legislation is a significant factor in making this happen."

Jean King, of charity Cancer Research UK, said the ban would help stop children who are attracted to brightly coloured tobacco packaging from taking up smoking but further action was still needed.

"Of course we want to see the pack branding taken away as well. This is not a normal consumer product, it kills people. We want to protect the next generation of children," she said.

However, the move has upset the tobacco industry.

Moves by Scotland to introduce such a ban have been delayed by legal action taken by Imperial Tobacco.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for British American Tobacco said: "We do not believe that hiding products under the counter or behind curtains or screens will discourage people, including the young, from taking up smoking.

"There's no sound evidence to prove display bans are justified."

He added if anything it could encourage the illicit trade of tobacco products.

'Social lepers'

Andrew Opie, from the British Retail Consortium, said it was wrong to believe the legislation would have a major effect on young people and it was supermarkets and other shops which were bearing the brunt of the costs needed to comply with the ban.

He said the organisation had calculated that it cost more than £15m to ensure everything was sorted out before the ban came into place.

He said: "Children are more likely to smoke when they're in a household where parents smoke and also they tend to get their cigarettes from either parents, or older peers, not directly from supermarkets.

"It's certainly caused a lot of disruption to retailers as they didn't actually get that much notice to comply - and if you think that this is 6,000 shops in England, there are only so many shop-fitters that can do the work."

David Atherton from the pro-smoking Freedom to Choose pressure group told BBC Radio 5 live he believed the state should not interfere with people's personal habits and added: "The idea of the anti-smoker groups is to denormalise us and to turn us into social lepers."

The display ban was announced by the government last year as part of its tobacco control strategy.

Although the legislation allowing it to happen was actually put in place by the Labour government before it lost power in 2010.

A number of countries, including Canada, Ireland, Iceland and Finland, have already introduced similar bans.

Prof David Hammond from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, said the ban led to a decline in smoking - especially among the young - in Canada.

"The declines were greatest in the provinces where the ban had been implemented the longest. And that's consistent with the idea that when you remove something like marketing, it takes some time for the residual marketing to wear out."

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17626133

Moy
6th April 2012, 17:28
personal question Terpe do you smoke?:) if yes how long??:)

Terpe
6th April 2012, 17:37
personal question Terpe do you smoke?:) if yes how long??:)

Moy, I quit smoking at 10:30pm on 31st December 2010

So I'm the worst kind of anti-smoking monster. :rolleyes:

Dirty, disgusting and highly dangerous. It should be http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/forum/t1203.gif

There's absolutely nothing positive that can be said about smoking.
It all completely negative. Yeah and smelly.

Moy
6th April 2012, 17:39
Moy, I quit smoking at 10:30pm on 31st December 2010

So I'm the worst kind of anti-smoking monster. :rolleyes:

Dirty, disgusting and highly dangerous. It should be http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/forum/t1203.gif

ah so what age did you ever start smoking:yikes: and yes shoud be banned but for some its a hell if banned:doh:D

Terpe
6th April 2012, 17:42
ah so what age did you ever start smoking:yikes: and yes shoud be banned but for some its a hell if banned:doh:D

I was a late starter.

If I'd know I was going to live so long I'd never have started :D

Moy
6th April 2012, 17:46
I was a late starter.

If I'd know I was going to live so long I'd never have started :D

at least your a late starter:angry::Cuckoo::Rasp: then who never been have chance:action-smiley-081: to ever start:omg::laugher::icon_lol: (ME)

stevewool
6th April 2012, 18:20
never smoked should throw the smelly stuff away all of it i say

imagine
6th April 2012, 18:56
i hope the display ban is for scotland too, its one of the biggest temptations to anyone in their first weeks of stopping, they take their groceries to the counter and what do they see ,, an array of temptation in front of them. the mind goes blank, to everything else and start to break out in hot and cold sweats, its a hard one to overcome,

there was only one thing i ever thought a more disgusting habit , that was snuff, as a kid i saw old guys on the streets snorting it up their nostrils, then blowing from one nostril at a time their nasal gunge on to the pavement, now that was gross :NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
6th April 2012, 18:58
I personally dont like Boris, but he made me laff in this video :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

02KwDMM1STI

Terpe
6th April 2012, 19:19
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Hadn't seen that before.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
6th April 2012, 19:27
that was :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Iani
8th April 2012, 07:36
Everyone knows, kids if they are going to try smoking, they do so to try show off with people at school. They think it is somehow "cool" (It isn't), they think it is hard, they think it is adult - so they try it.
Also no-one likes smoking at first, you actually have to force yourself to get used to it, so when you think logically, it's crazy to ever bother.

Then there's the parents, puffing away whilst saying to their kids "don't you ever do this". Right!

I've met very few people who smoke, who didn't wish they could give up. It does absolutely nothing for you but empty your bank balance, make you smell and damage your health to a greater or lesser extent.

As for banning the display of the stuff, will this really do anything?

On the other hand, I really think the smoking ban in pubs was barking - driving away their best customers. It would have happened eventually anyway, in a crazy litigacious society, I would have said about the time customers started sueing landlords................which would have eventually happened..............probably

mickcant
8th April 2012, 09:33
I am a life long none smoker, despite being raised by heavy smoking parents.

My 1st wife smoked when we met but she gave up:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Both our sons were bought up in a non smoking home but both are heavy smokers now
I think peer pressuse at school and work starts it off:NoNo:
Mick.:)

RickyR
8th April 2012, 09:34
I guess this screws up those dodgy corner shops which carry under the counter counterfeits...

mickcant
8th April 2012, 09:41
I guess this screws up those dodgy corner shops which carry under the counter counterfeits...

I do not think they have to hide them yet for a couple of years,
the legal ones that is:omg:
Mick:)

grahamw48
8th April 2012, 09:42
Anything that helps people to stop smoking (or to never start) is good, as far as I'm concerned :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I walked straight past the smokes counter in Tesco last night and was able to pick up a weeks worth of patches, for those on less than 10 a day, on offer for £7....a healthy bargain. :)

Just ban the damn things, then the weak-willed amongst us would just forget about them after a while.

Doc Alan
8th April 2012, 09:57
There is a hard core of persistent smokers ( in the UK and Philippines at least a fifth, nearer a quarter in Scotland ). Of these at least a third claim they don’t want to stop.
We all know smoking is an addiction and the health hazards associated with it. Less well known are how soon health benefits start to accrue from stopping, which is worthwhile attempting at any age, for the smoker and those affected by passive smoking.
Depending on how many you smoked, age, and general health …
• In days sense of taste and smell improve, with easier breathing
• In weeks coughing has decreased and energy increased with better circulation
• Benefits continue over months to years as chances of a heart attack or cancer reduce towards half those of a non- smoker.

grahamw48
8th April 2012, 10:01
Quite right about the immediate benefits Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When I last 'properly' stopped, couldn't believe my increased energy levels AND just the amount of extra stuff I got done...rather than sat about smoking. :rolleyes:

It was tough keeping up the increased food intake though.

A whole carrier bag full of food would just disappear over the day. :icon_lol:

lastlid
8th April 2012, 11:02
The recent TV campaign on passive smoking is very poignant for me.

lastlid
8th April 2012, 11:41
He said: "Children are more likely to smoke when they're in a household where parents smoke and also they tend to get their cigarettes from either parents, or older peers, not directly from supermarkets.

This is the biggest problem area. Same for drugs.

Terpe
8th April 2012, 11:48
Quite right about the immediate benefits......

I can vouch for that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I would say with 2-3 weeks I felt very significant benefits in lots of ways. Especially in energy levels and breathing.

Amazing just how fast really.

lastlid
8th April 2012, 12:06
It was tough keeping up the increased food intake though.

A whole carrier bag full of food would just disappear over the day. :icon_lol:

My ex wife blew up like a balloon when she stopped smoking for a spell a few years back...:icon_lol:

grahamw48
8th April 2012, 12:37
I just put on a couple of stone, evenly distributed and looked a hell of a lot better for it, as I should have done all my adult life if I'd not smoked. :rolleyes:

tone
8th April 2012, 14:58
I'm wondering when alcohol will be hidden away under the same guise. It appears to me more people are struggling with alcohol abuse rather than smoking but I may be wrong.

Dedworth
8th April 2012, 15:20
I do not think they have to hide them yet for a couple of years,
the legal ones that is:omg:
Mick:)

You are correct Mick

Under the new rules all tobacco products must be kept out of sight except when staff are serving customers or carrying out other day-to-day tasks such as restocking.

Those found not complying with the law could be fined up to £5,000 or face imprisonment.

The ban on displays will roll out to smaller shops and businesses in three years' time while the Government is also consulting on introducing plain packaging for packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products.

Attempts at a ban in Scotland have been delayed by legal action and there is already strong opposition to the legislation in England.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125978/Cigarettes-tobacco-disappear-supermarket-displays-today.html#ixzz1rSVI0sOP

fred
8th April 2012, 16:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwFRZXUA4

fred
8th April 2012, 17:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x036gER-X0&feature=relmfu

lastlid
8th April 2012, 17:06
Get a waft of that......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqGctKz_sI&feature=relmfu

fred
8th April 2012, 17:06
Quit Smoking Ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUe5DjEAjis

lastlid
8th April 2012, 17:14
Quit with E Lites. No stinky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qytVopWRkQY

fred
8th April 2012, 17:29
Get a waft of that......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqGctKz_sI&feature=relmfu

My Grandad always smoked that in his pipe..I,Absolutely loved the smell and really miss it now..
I was 5! He was in his late 80`s when he died..

Terpe
8th April 2012, 17:32
Quit Smoking Ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUe5DjEAjis

:laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:

lastlid
8th April 2012, 17:34
My Grandad always smoked that in his pipe..I,Absolutely loved the smell and really miss it now..
I was 5! He was in his late 80`s when he died..

Yes. A strange thing. I also liked the smell of a pipe. But I did try smoking one and its not the same.

lastlid
8th April 2012, 17:39
Get a waft of that too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEHZKxL7IU&feature=related

tanga
9th April 2012, 05:07
Its really not hard to quit smoking...I do it all the time

fred
9th April 2012, 05:54

lastlid
9th April 2012, 07:16

Nice one....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
9th April 2012, 16:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKLpO9qhOE&feature=related

lastlid
9th April 2012, 16:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnklpo9qhoe&feature=related

Wow! A real gem....

Doc Alan
9th April 2012, 18:48
The TV commercial from Camel cigarettes was made well over 60 years ago. Some members know my Dad was a GP who smoked. He qualified at the end of World War II. It was 20 years after that when doctors and the public started to become aware of the dangers of smoking.
One in ten deaths worldwide are due to smoking. It’s the greatest single cause of illness and premature death in the UK ( 100,000 deaths / year – including my Dad ) . The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated that tobacco consumption kills 10 Filipinos every hour. Passive smoking, and a career where I have performed 10,000 autopsies, mean I can speak from experience. It’s not a topic I find amusing. Smoking is an addiction and it’s hard to give up. Everything that can be done should be done to help those who wish to stop.
Despite this, it’s a lifestyle choice and I don’t judge those who still smoke.
My positive message to smokers - no apologies for repeating it :- give up if you can, the benefits start almost immediately :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

lastlid
9th April 2012, 20:10
Scottish Passive Smoking Campaign - click watch on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22M8COzh8c