PDA

View Full Version : Philippines not in the UN's Top 100 happiest countries !

Doc Alan
5th April 2012, 09:52
Although Filipinos are generally known to be friendly and hospitable, the UN placed the Philippines as the 103rd ‘happiest’ country in the world, falling below Iraq and Nigeria.

The Philippine government's latest tourism slogan says "It's More Fun in the Philippines."

However, out of the 156 countries ranked by the UN, the Philippines was at the bottom half of the first World Happiness Report released earlier this week.

The Philippines lagged behind its neighbouring Asian countries and territories such as:

• Japan (44th place)
• Taiwan (46th place)
• Malaysia (51st place)
• Thailand (52nd place)
• South Korea (56th place)
• Vietnam (65th place), and
• Hongkong (57th place).

China was ranked 112th.

Still, the Philippines was behind Namibia (97th place), Iraq (98th place), and Nigeria (100th place).

Ten ‘happiest’ countries

According to the UN report, the 10 happiest countries are:

Country *No. of Filipinos in the Area

1. Denmark 9,401
2. Finland 2,111
3. Norway 21,154
4. Netherlands 19,658
5. Canada 667,674
6. Switzerland 19,529
7. Sweden 13,707
8. New Zealand 29,699
9. Australia 345,592
10. Ireland 13,800
( 18. United Kingdom 250,000 )

The UN study based its ranking on some "external factors" it considered as determiners of happiness:
• Income
• Work
• Community and governance
• Values and religion

On the other hand, the UN considered the following as "personal factors" that determined happiness:
• Mental health
• Physical Health
• Family experience
• Education, and
• Gender and age

Read more … but please note - I'm only the messenger for this study - I'm happy as are most of my Filipino and UK friends !
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/253965/pinoyabroad/phl-not-on-un-s-list-of-100-happiest-countries
http://www.earth.columbia.edu/sitefiles/file/Sachs%20Writing/2012/World%20Happiness%20Report.pdf

RickyR
5th April 2012, 10:36
They never asked me in a survey. I really wonder how they calculate this...

joebloggs
5th April 2012, 11:00
:icon_lol:
Scandinavians are well known to have suffered depression because their level of serotonin, the mood regulating hormone is reduced, during winter :Erm:

Maria B
5th April 2012, 11:24
I've read this yesterday & wondered:Erm: I guess for the Philippines despite of the on going 'more fun in the philippines' promo the country has a lot of personal factors issue too. So stressed out with all the high cost of goods, jobless, broken family, coping to finish college & a lot of the new generation are out school. Filipinos just love to smile:):D

Doc Alan
5th April 2012, 22:29
I was surprised to see this report for two reasons
• Philippines in such a low position
• Rationale for producing it is obscure
It must have taken much time to produce, at considerable cost :doh.
The authors correctly say “ One of the most important aspects is measurement “ of happiness, listing Gallup World Poll (GWP), World Values Survey (WVS), and European Social Survey (ESS).
They list external factors like income, work, community and governance, and values and religion. Personal factors include mental and physical health, family experience, education, gender, and age. Many of these can have a two-way interaction – health may improve happiness, and happiness may improve health. They think that absolute income is important in poor countries ; in richer countries comparative income seems more important ; basic living standards are essential for happiness, but after that it varies more with quality of human relationships than income.
One can’t argue with their aims :- high employment and quality work; strong community with trust and respect; improved physical and mental health; support of family life; and a decent education for all.
Despite all this, in my opinion if a simple poll had been made in which there was one question :- “ Are you happy, Yes or No ? “ the Philippines would have ranked far higher ! :)

lastlid
5th April 2012, 22:44
Scandinavians are well known to have suffered depression because their level of serotonin, the mood regulating hormone is reduced, during winter :Erm:

Liverpudlians are well known for depression owing to a lack of success on the football field in their diet during winter. :icon_lol:

lastlid
6th April 2012, 08:51

Yes. Those that are familiar with Norway know that they arent a laugh a minute over there. Perhaps content yes as they have virtually, overall, the best standard of living in the world.

Iani
6th April 2012, 09:52

This is really going out at a tangent, but is anyone familiar with the Moomins? These are childrens stories from that part of the world. There is a character from these stories called the Groke, or other names depending on the country, but I digress.
Anyway, this is basically a hill shaped creature, permanently sad, which can kill by touch and freezes everything it touches - including fires.

It's been said this character was created, as an anachronism for nordic gloom, the long dark winters.

On the other hand, they have Ikea, now who could be miserable with all those 70's looking fabrics

Iani
6th April 2012, 09:54
Sorry I know this is going to earn me a virtual spanking, but "It's more fun in the Philippines" - well that sounds more like an advert for going to Subic

lastlid
6th April 2012, 09:56
This is really going out at a tangent, but is anyone familiar with the Moomins?

Hadnt heard of them, but I have now. A sort of sad troll from Sweden.

lastlid
6th April 2012, 10:00
I spent a year in Sweden. Siljan Ring. Beautiful and knocks the pants off the Lake District. Norway and Sweden are both beautiful countries.

lastlid
6th April 2012, 10:04
I dont actually equate hot with happy or cold with sad. The average Noggie has a great life, just doesn't have a sense of humour thats all.

Terpe
6th April 2012, 10:48
I spent a year in Sweden. Siljan Ring. Beautiful and knocks the pants off the Lake District. Norway and Sweden are both beautiful countries.

I spent some very interesting times in Sweden and Norway.
Did some work on some Iron ore trains operting in the North. Every winter spent up North in and around Lulea, Kiruna and Narvik.
Summers spent in Gothenburg and Lillestrom

That was a good contract and lasted around 4 years.

Yes, you're right beautiful countries.

Got some great memories

lastlid
6th April 2012, 10:56
I spent some very interesting times in Sweden and Norway.
Did some work on some Iron ore trains operting in the North. Every winter spent up North in and around Lulea, Kiruna and Narvik.
Summers spent in Gothenburg and Lillestrom

That was a good contract and lasted around 4 years.

Yes, you're right beautiful countries.

Got some great memories

Yes. Its a different way of life, yet again. The ski culture is great too.

fluentlee
6th April 2012, 10:59
Yea really odd. The Philippines usually makes ANY list that involves "happiest people" or "happiest country". Ah well, I'm sure they had their reasons. And despite the list, I still think The Philippines is one of the happiest countries with the happiest people in the world. Hands down.

Lee