PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Medications in Philippines

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 13:30
Anyone know of a good website/resource that lists the costs of buying meds in the Philippines?
I would like to check out the regular meds I need that are on my regular UK prescription.

Thanks for any help.

Doc Alan
3rd April 2012, 15:13
I’m sure other members will be able to help, Terpe, but this is a recent article, with links :-
" Prescription Drugs/Medications in the Philippines -

Prescription drugs is really something of a misnomer when applied to the Philippines. With the exception of opioid pain medications and benzodiazepine family drugs such as Valium, a doctor’s prescription is not generally needed. Just write down the drug name, the dose and the quantity wanted on a slip of paper, take it to the counter of a pharmacy and it will be filled for you, assuming they have the drug in stock — and that it’s available in the Philippines. Some drugs available in the US are not available in the Philippines. " Read more …
http://myphilippinelife.com/prescription-drugs-medications-philippines/
For information, therapeutic drugs do seem to be more expensive in the Philippines compared to neighbouring countries, such as Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. This is partly due to poor public perception of
generic drugs and aggressive promotion of branded products by the industry.
The Philippines has been classified by WHO as among the countries where less than a third of the
population have regular access to essential drugs. For those with access, there is the problem of
sensible drug use with a huge number sold under various brand names, doses and preparations.
There is a large market share for cough and cold preparations, antibiotics and vitamins/appetite stimulants.
This irrational drug use doesn’t correspond to people’s health needs. Even if they can afford drugs, they often self-medicate rather than pay to visit a doctor.

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 16:45
Thank you Alan.
Some of the links not working, some require registration.
I will follow up on them later when I have some extra time and report back my findings.

Mr newbie
20th May 2012, 04:08
oh so what off life needing drugs for prescrition patients?
this dosnt sound good for people who need them and itend to travel to the phillipines :(