PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Cancer Awareness Month in Philippines

Doc Alan
2nd April 2012, 20:15
This month has been named “ Kapit-Bisig Sa Paglaban Sa Colorectal Cancer “ by the Department of Health and others. Health Secretary Enrique Ona claimed this cancer affected about 5,800 filipinos in 2010, and recommends screening over the age of 50. It’s the fourth leading cancer site (after breast, lung and liver ), and I suspect the true numbers are higher. President Corazon Aquino – and also Ronald Reagan – suffered from it.
In the UK it affects about 40,000 each year, the third site ( after breast and lung ).
Most develop after the age of 60 – it’s rare under 40, and affects men and women equally. Symptoms include :
• Blood in stools ( “ poo “ / faeces ).
• Changed bowel habit ( diarrhoea / constipation ).
• Unexplained weight loss.
Risk factors are either
• Controllable
1. Diet rich in fat and low in fibre ( link with red / processed meat - already a forum thread ).
2. Lack of exercise and obesity.
3. Excess alcohol and smoking.
• Uncontrollable
1. Age.
2. Family history and inherited conditions ( may develop at young age ).
Change of lifestyle and low dose daily aspirin ( only on advice from doctor – already another forum thread ) can reduce the chances of getting this cancer.
If it does develop, treatment is MUCH more likely to be effective if it is detected at an early stage, before it has spread beyond the bowel. Probably 9 / 10 cases can be successfully treated with early detection. It’s one cancer where survival has improved in recent years :).
In the UK, there has been screening by the NHS for the past few years, offered to those aged 60 ( + ).
This tests stool samples for blood, which may not be visible. Bowel cancers ( and polyps which may lead to cancers ) can bleed and so a positive test would indicate further investigation ( colonoscopy ). There are other causes of bleeding, and a negative test doesn’t rule out cancer. However, polyps can easily be surgically removed, and a cancer detected in this way has a much better chance of cure by removal.
This doesn’t just apply to older people. A healthy lifestyle – moderation :) – helps avoid problems in later life, and SOME bowel cancers do affect young people.

Steve.r
2nd April 2012, 21:08
Thanks Alan. :)

Rosie1958
2nd April 2012, 21:24
There appears to be an awareness campaign being run in the UK at the moment on Bowel Cancer as I have seen several short "advertisements" on the television urging those displaying any of the symptoms to go and have a chat with their GP .

Thanks for raising this issue Doc Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3: and I do hope that if anyone does have any of the signs that they do as suggested and consult a doctor.

Marie
2nd April 2012, 22:39
nice thread doc....thank you for this...very informative....

imagine
2nd April 2012, 22:41
thanks for another, informative thread Doc Alan,

iv seen awareness "advertisements" on the net ,titled blood in your poo

i was screened myself, i think over a period of about 2 years

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 09:02
Yes, here in UK very soon after you turn 60 years of age you receive a letter inviting you to undertake a 'test'. Soon after that you receive your very own DIY 'test kit'.

Get the test done and send off the 'test'. Results are returned very quickly

Very good system.