PDA

View Full Version : NHS prescription fee rise to £7.65

Terpe
2nd April 2012, 18:03
An increase in NHS prescription charges in England of 25p to £7.65 has come into effect.

Health Minister Simon Burns outlined the changes earlier this year, and the government says exemptions mean 90% of prescription items are dispensed free.

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society campaigned for a freeze and says the rises are completely unacceptable.

Dental treatment costs will also rise. There are no prescription charges in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

In England, the cost of a prepaid prescription payment certificate (PPC), which is valid for three months, will remain at £29.10, while the price of an annual PPC will be held at £104. The certificates save money for people need a lot of medication.

Further increases include:

The cost of hospital-supplied elastic stockings and tights, wigs and fabric supports.
A 2.5% rise in the cost of vouchers for glasses for children, people on low incomes and those with complex sight problems.
The dental charge payable for a basic "band 1" course of treatment - examination, diagnosis and advice, including X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further work if necessary - will rise 50p to £17.50.
Band 2 charges, covering fillings, root canal treatment and extractions, will rise by £1 to £48.
For band 3 work, such as crowns, dentures and bridges, the cost will increase by £5 to £209.

The government says abolishing prescription charges in England would leave the NHS £450m short each year.

But the British Medical Association has said the current system is "unfair" and called for prescription charges to be scrapped in England.

Neal Patel, from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, told the BBC he worried those with chronic conditions might neglect their health because they could not afford the charges in the current economic climate.

He said he would like to see the "unfairness" reformed.

'Reform needed'

"The prescription charge system at the moment seems to penalise people that have certain long-term conditions, but not others.

"It is perhaps a false economy to think if we don't take these medicines there is a reduced cost to that patient. But, longer term, they may end up in hospital and cost the NHS more."

A Department for Health spokesman said it was investing an additional £12.5bn in the NHS and had found an extra £4.5bn for patient services by "cutting back on bureaucracy".

He said the £450m funding from prescription charges was "valuable income" - equivalent to the salary costs of 18,000 nurses, or 15,000 midwives, or 3,500 hospital consultants.

"This income helps the NHS to maintain vital services for patients."

Those exempt from prescription charges include children under 16, income-related benefit claimants, pregnant women and people with serious long-term medical conditions. Contraception is free.

Free prescriptions were introduced in Wales in 2007, Northern Ireland in 2010 and Scotland in 2011.

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17576096

Doc Alan
3rd April 2012, 10:28
The NHS was free at the point of use when introduced in 1948, financed from taxation ( as now ). Prescription charges of one shilling ( 5p ) and a flat rate dental charge of £1 followed in 1952. If you had kept a shilling in mint condition from 1951 ( none issued in 1952 ) it would be worth around £7.65 now :) ! Over time, charges increased, apart from a brief spell when prescriptions were again free ( 1965-1968 ). There are exemptions for both. These can be confusing and irrational – ALL medicines are free for cancer sufferers, patients needing thyroid hormones, and diabetics, but not other conditions :doh.
Free prescriptions were ( re- ) introduced in Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland between 2007 – 2011. Even in England most prescription items are dispensed free. Despite this, the government claims abolishing English prescription charges would cost £450m !
Neither dental nor prescription fees reflect the “ true “ cost of treatment. Charges for NHS dental treatment – when available and applicable ( if you’re not exempt ) – are much less than for private treatment. It also varies in different parts of the UK. Some form of dental insurance policy – could be the answer, or consider non-urgent treatment in the Philippines :).
Possibly a quarter of spending in primary care goes on drugs. Cheaper “ generic “ drugs could reduce the drug bill without affecting patient care. The cost of drugs should be printed on the packets. It's usually far more than the prescription fee, but can be less - paying without a prescription at the chemist or supermarket.

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 11:05
As an interesting aside, our local chemist does in fact advise when the prescribed medicines may be purchased 'over-the-counter' cheaper than precription charges.
Sometimes the differences are significant.

lastlid
3rd April 2012, 13:06
Isle of Man prescription charges, still at £3.85......but the NHS dental charges still track England's pretty closely. Whats more there is a 2 year waiting list for an NHS dentist here. :yikes:

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 13:23
I actually receive free prescriptions now :olddude:
Thank goodness too, with 3 different meds for my blood pressure that would be £22.95 every 4 weeks

I wonder how much it will cost me in Phils.

mickcant
3rd April 2012, 13:23
One of the few benifits of getting older is free prescriptions:Cuckoo:
I take 4 different drugs so it mounts up:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:olddude:

lastlid
3rd April 2012, 13:41
I actually receive free prescriptions now :olddude:
Thank goodness too, with 3 different meds for my blood pressure that would be £22.95 every 4 weeks

I wonder how much it will cost me in Phils.

Free bus pass too?

Is that free medicines as you are over 60? I am not so far behind you, you see.

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 13:45
Free bus pass too?

Is that free medicines as you are over 60? I am not so far behind you, you see.

Yep, the benefits of being over 60.
I'm also eligible for a winter fuel allowance :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Although I haven't yet taken the time to apply for a bus pass. I must get around to that, quite simple I believe.

lastlid
3rd April 2012, 13:47
Yep, the benefits of being over 60.
I'm also eligible for a winter fuel allowance :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Although I haven't yet taken the time to apply for a bus pass. I must get around to that, quite simple I believe.

I cant wait....:D