PDA

View Full Version : opening a back account

stevewool
1st April 2012, 12:59
is it worth opening a bank account for the phils, what banks would you use here hen hopefully use over in the phils, i did notice the banks in the phils the queing, sooooooooooooo long they was, is there one better then the other also is it worth looking at banks here that will work well over there, they say hsbc is a world bank, well sometimes it seems the phils is not part of the world,what would you recomend, and i wont hold you countable:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
1st April 2012, 15:52
We have a joint PNB account. They are all over the Phils, you can use any ATM and transfers are easy, cheap and fast.

tanga
2nd April 2012, 01:12
HSBC for me. They dont have an extensive network of branches but although that suits me it may not work for others. I transact online for transfers and hold local credit card and Sterling ATM account which pays out in pesos at any Megalink or Bancnet atm in Philippines.
My UK debit card can be used to withdraw peso equivalent of £1000 per day at any HSBC atm without transaction charge.
As for local banks its a toss up. I hold accounts with BPI, BDO,PSBank and the service ranges from atrocious to acceptable.
I usually take some light reading material (vol one and two of Tolstoy's War and Peace),water,sandwiches etc while waiting to be served
A lot of expats had a concern when it was recently rumoured that HSBC were poised to pull out.
Citi bank are expanding and currently offer a free credit card which costs P2800 per year after 12 months
I had an account with PNB and actually found their service quite good. In 2007 the branch was refurbished and installed one of these new fangled gadgets called an ATM which is very usual for clients who wish to access their funds

ConfusedMe
2nd April 2012, 02:39
It is really helpful when you regularly send money to the Philippines.